Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Two months and an 11.3 update later, no dice. So frustrating!

vetoes

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2017
I have this problem as well on a Big Sur 11.3.1. I had it ever since I updated to Big Sur.

Chris Grande

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Just throwing in my hat into this — so annoying. Happens on one of my Macs, updated to Monterey fixed it for a day now it's back to not working, even went as far as logging in and out of iCloud — no dice.

On top of this sometimes opening Messages.app some names now appear with just numbers and will sit that way for 5-10 minutes and then will clear up.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
Just throwing in my hat into this — so annoying. Happens on one of my Macs, updated to Monterey fixed it for a day now it's back to not working, even went as far as logging in and out of iCloud — no dice.

On top of this sometimes opening Messages.app some names now appear with just numbers and will sit that way for 5-10 minutes and then will clear up.
The issue went away for me, then I upgraded to Monterey and have all numbers on Mac. :/

indros

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
Still happening in 12.0.1 Monterey. Restarting is a temporary fix, but then it comes back. It was new via Big Sur. I'm running a 2015 Macbook Pro and my contacts are synced to an iPhone 13.

asafblasberg

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2018
Strange it's still happening. It happens to me rarely now. Do you think it could be a Wi-Fi issue?

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Still a bug. Very annoying, especially since Apple knows about it and not fixed.

Anyone have a solution?

Howard Ellacott

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
United Kingdom
I signed out of iMessage, iCloud and every Apple Account service on my Mac (for another issue I was having with Apple Music), and after rebooting and signing in again I've not had the contact bug show up since

EverN00b

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2022
I made a new account here just to post this. I just got my first iMac a few days ago but have been using iPhones for years. Never had Android. I was having the problem where only SOME of my contacts' names missing on my iMac, but others were fine. I rebooted, upgraded my iCloud storage, updated my OS, did all the things. I trouble-****.
Here's what finally worked for me:

It turns out for the past few years, all the new Contacts I've added to my phone have been being synced to my gmail account and not to iCloud. In my iPhone, I went to Settings --> Contacts, and the Default Account was NOT iCloud. (HINT: It's supposed to be iCloud)

Then, also in my iPhone, I went to Contacts --> Groups (in the upper left)
and was like, WTF I didn't even know that was there, when did that even happen?

I deselected iCloud and found all the Contacts that were missing from my iMac. So annoying.

Anyway so then on my iMac I went to Internet Accounts and added in that one Google account. Then in Contacts I went and copied and pasted all those people from the Google group into the iCloud group. Removed the Google account from Internet Accounts and now I can go to sleep.

Hope this helps someone.

sudoBrandon

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2023
This issue is probably that your Mac didn't fully download your iCloud contacts. You can check your iCloud online verse Contacts on your computer to see if that is the case.

To fix this on macOS (I'm on Ventura)
1. Quit Contacts and Messages if open
2. Open Finder > Go to Folder (shift + CMD + G) > copy and paste this ~/Library/Application Support
3. Rename the AddressBook folder to AddressBook.old
4. Open Contacts... It will be blank as it downloads your iCloud contacts. Give it a minute or so
5. Once your contacts load, Open Messages... you should see the correct info now
6. (Optional) Drag the AddressBook.old folder to the trash

storkinsj

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
"Whack the Preferences".

Yeah baby.

This technique has worked since the 90s lol. Unfortnately what I really need to do is get rid of the messages cache. This is a bit tricky to find as the old one (~/Library/messages) seems to be defunct, or at least removing it did not change what i was seeing in the messages application. We basically need to figure out how to remove that.

fs_usage is showing me that indeed some folders are being read in the containers area. I am not able to be definative, and apple is trying to shore up security on libary folder so it is sometimes necessary to unlock folders in the finder and perform tricks like that.

That's good, except they refuse to test their operating system- especially ignoring test cases that involve things like upgrades (which somehow hurts existing customers). So we are left sort of with no easy way to fix their numerous bugs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.