Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
iPhone 15 Pro

I saw this issue in iOS 17.1.1 and 17.1.2

If I get a Messages notification alert on the lock screen and tap it, it takes me straight into Messages where I can read the message. However, when I go back out, the red notification badge still shows "1" on the Messages icon. Then when I go back into Messages, the only "new" message is the same one I just viewed. So only after viewing the same message twice, does the notification badge clear itself.

I have "Repeat Alerts" set to "never" but don't think this setting means the same thing.

Going into the Message app from its icon on the Home screen and reading the message immediately clears the badge. It's only when I access the message via a certain kind of notification alert or banner, that the badge doesn't initially clear itself.

Last edited:

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
iPhone 15 Pro

I saw this issue in iOS 17.1.1 and 17.1.2

If I get a Messages notification alert on the lock screen and tap it, it takes me straight into Messages where I can read the message. However, when I go back out, the red notification badge still shows "1" on the Messages icon. Then when I go back into Messages, the only "new" message is the same one I just viewed. So only after viewing the same message twice, does the notification badge clear itself.

I have "Repeat Alerts" set to "never" but don't think this setting means the same thing.

Going into the Message app from its icon on the Home screen and reading the message immediately clears the badge. It's only when I access the message via a certain kind of notification alert or banner, that the badge doesn't initially clear itself.
What if you long tap the message on the lock screen, read it, then swipe it away without replying?

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
What if you long tap the message on the lock screen, read it, then swipe it away without replying?

I have no idea, since it's easier to just tap it and go into the messages app. One would think viewing it within the actual Messages app would clear the badge.

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
I have no idea, since it's easier to just tap it and go into the messages app. One would think viewing it within the actual Messages app would clear the badge.
I understand, but I wanted to see if doing that produced the same result or if it actually cleared the badge.

Reactions: sparky672

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
I understand, but I wanted to see if doing that produced the same result or if it actually cleared the badge.

If I remember, I will try. However, I'm not even 100% sure my previous observations were consistent and repeatable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.