Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avjp87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
I already deleted my texts messages in hopes that this space would be freed up, well that didn't work. I've looked everywhere to find these, but no dice. Can anyone point me in the right direction of where these are so i can get rid of them and free up the space of 6.7GB???? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
I already deleted my texts messages in hopes that this space would be freed up, well that didn't work. I've looked everywhere to find these, but no dice. Can anyone point me in the right direction of where these are so i can get rid of them and free up the space of 6.7GB???? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

[url=http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/avjp87/12965_10151675074967358_2009528061_n_zpsd0b69ec4.jpg]Image[/URL]

You deleted all the conversations from the messages app? Did you reboot or give it some time. Might take a while to purge almost 7GB of data...

avjp87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Start deleting threads in the Messages app.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see you already tried that.

no worries my friend

yeah i tried everything i can think of right now. only thing i haven't tried is syncing it to my computer cause i'm at work. i'm hoping that'll do the trick. the other thing is there's no option anywhere in the "Messages" section to "save" them, yah know? So I don't even know why it would do that.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
no worries my friend

yeah i tried everything i can think of right now. only thing i haven't tried is syncing it to my computer cause i'm at work. i'm hoping that'll do the trick. the other thing is there's no option anywhere in the "Messages" section to "save" them, yah know? So I don't even know why it would do that.

If they're on your phone, they're saved. Especially if you send/receive a lot of photos/videos, those take up tons of space. You've deleted them, make sure you've rebooted your phone and give it time. It must purge nearly 7GB, wait it out a bit.

Reactions: drinkonlyscotch

avjp87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
If they're on your phone, they're saved. Especially if you send/receive a lot of photos/videos, those take up tons of space. You've deleted them, make sure you've rebooted your phone and give it time. It must purge nearly 7GB, wait it out a bit.

I do send/receive a lot of photos and videos, so I know that's why. But I guess I just don't where they are saved to. Are they somewhere I'm not able to access them or something? Or like you said, just wait it out?

Cause with the previous OS, when I would delete my conversations, the space they were taking up in my phone would instantly be freed up. that's why i've been scratching my head with this one.

SpencerUSF

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
I had a similar problem when I had my 8 GB iPhone. It turned out to be like 6 GB worth of "deleted" voicemails that had not yet been cleared. Check your voicemails and make sure everything is both deleted AND cleared.

avjp87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
I had a similar problem when I had my 8 GB iPhone. It turned out to be like 6 GB worth of "deleted" voicemails that had not yet been cleared. Check your voicemails and make sure everything is both deleted AND cleared.

yeah that was one of the first things I did in hoping that would fix the issue

iggypod

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Even with every single iMessage conversation deleted - I still show 1GB of Messages (saved).

Short of restoring as a new device or using something like iBackupbot I can't reclaim this space. :rolleyes:

I see this problem is being posted on both MacRumors and Apple forums.

avjp87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Even with every single iMessage conversation deleted - I still show 1GB of Messages (saved).

Short of restoring as a new device or using something like iBackupbot I can't reclaim this space. :rolleyes:

I see this problem is being posted on both MacRumors and Apple forums.

yeah i know about the 1GB, which is a pain, but 6.7GB? holy crap

Gryfter

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
restoring your iPhone as new should work...

mind you, it'll be like getting a completely new iPhone... everything will be wiped...

Last edited:

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I restored as new, then restored from a recent iCloud backup. That fixed the problem for me.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Try and go into a particular thread and delete the pics in there a few at a time then check space. I can do that and watch the space free up. I believe (at least in past ios versions) that deleting the thread does not do it as the next time that person text you or you txt them it reappears including the pics. Have not tried this in iOS7 but I have gone in and deleted just the pics in a particular thread and see the space free up.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Try and go into a particular thread and delete the pics in there a few at a time then check space. I can do that and watch the space free up. I believe (at least in past ios versions) that deleting the thread does not do it as the next time that person text you or you txt them it reappears including the pics. Have not tried this in iOS7 but I have gone in and deleted just the pics in a particular thread and see the space free up.
That must mean they're stored somewhere else that's isn't accessible by normal usage on the phone. Seems so crazy that you can build up that much storage and never see it unless you check the new messages tab in settings/usage or go into iTunes.

emmio

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2013
Messages (Saved) on iPhone

I am having the exact same problem as mentioned above. I have 1.7 GB of messages that backed up from my old iPhone to my new one (same model though) and they can't be deleted! It is so annoying!:apple:

Elijahthaprofit

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2013

[url=http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/avjp87/12965_10151675074967358_2009528061_n_zpsd0b69ec4.jpg]Image[/URL]

I just figured it out.. Seriously. If you can JB (newest iOS can be) then download "iCleaner" and it has an option for specifically this. Cleaner up 3.6gb for me just like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.