Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eekcat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Sometimes, for seemingly no reason at all, messages seems to stop working as iMessages and defaults to SMS. I'll find that conversations that were previously blue iMessages have all turned green, and I only have the ability to send as SMS (green) until I force close and restart the Messages app. This all seemed to have started around iOS15, though it could just as easily have been when I switch from my iPhone 12 Pro Max to my 13 Pro Max.

Has anyone else seen this? I've tried signing out and back into iMessage, but it hasn't helped.

(I'm an iOS 15.4 on my iPhone 13 Pro Max)

hansenc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2004
I've noticed this, also getting the your number prompt on other devices often now.

eekcat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
I've noticed this, also getting the your number prompt on other devices often now.

Yeah, I'm getting a ton of prompts to turn on wifi calling (when it was already on). I did find that my phone number is somehow no longer activating with iMessage. In other words, I can only reach/bre reached via my iCloud associated email addresses. Apple Support, all the way up to a senior advisor, has had no answers.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Ugh I been getting this too hope it’s fixed next iOS update. It turns off snd all green and then I’ll get messages saying my Mac is now using the number and my watch. But they always have

eekcat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Turns out my issue had something to do with the way the eSIM (tmobile) was activated. I ended up having to completely reset the phone, including "deleting" the eSIM, then reactivating it with the carrier, then restoring from an iCloud backup. What a pain. Weird thing is that everything worked fine (voice, data, text) with that occasional iMessage issue that got progressively worse until it flat out stopped working with my number (but worked fine with my iCloud email addresses).

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Turns out my issue had something to do with the way the eSIM (tmobile) was activated. I ended up having to completely reset the phone, including "deleting" the eSIM, then reactivating it with the carrier, then restoring from an iCloud backup. What a pain. Weird thing is that everything worked fine (voice, data, text) with that occasional iMessage issue that got progressively worse until it flat out stopped working with my number (but worked fine with my iCloud email addresses).
I still think it’s a bug with the newest iOS update.

Never had it before. Anyone else still having it

eekcat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
I still think it’s a bug with the newest iOS update.

Never had it before. Anyone else still having it
I had this issue on the 15.4 betas too, so at least for me, it wasn't 15.5 that did it. (I know this because I completely forgot that I was running 15.4 beta, called support and understandably, they could not help me.)

xerxers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
I have had the green issues for many beta updates. It only happened on some messages and I finally worked out that it was happening to friends who had something other than an Apple device ie Androids.

An I wrong in making that assumption

TIA

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I keep getting messages saying the number is now being used in my Mac and Apple Watch. I get this alert in my iPhone every few days. Ugh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.