Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

browser740

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2017
This is on a 12.9 gen2 ipad pro. I find that I cannot select photos while in imessages...
A message comes up stating unable to load photos.... However if I do a screen shot, and while in
Preview save it to photos, Then i can load and select from photos....

Any help?

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
I am having this same problem on the new 2018 iPad Pro 12.9”.

When I click the photos app in iMessage the message “Unable to Load Photos” comes up in the pictures box.

434AF520-368C-4000-B8EE-B2E663256F8F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: RevTEG

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
This is on a 12.9 gen2 ipad pro. I find that I cannot select photos while in imessages...
A message comes up stating unable to load photos.... However if I do a screen shot, and while in
Preview save it to photos, Then i can load and select from photos....

Any help?

I got a solution. Are you still having the problem?

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
What's the solution?

Luckily, I remembered when it started happening. I just so happened to save some wallpapers down to my device from this website: https://9to5mac.com/2018/10/30/ipad-pro-wallpapers-download/

Either the photos app in iMessage doesn’t like the file names or file size. I am leaning towards file name as they are pretty ugly.

I just haven’t had time to test it by changing the file name to something normal.

When I deleted all the wallpapers from my photos the photos app in iMessage started working properly again.

After some testing, I discovered the photos app in iMessage was only able to handle displaying 2 wallpapers from that website. When I saved down a 3rd is when I started getting the ‘unable to load photos” screen.

I already let Apple Support know. They took a screen recording of the issue and the logs from my iPad to send to their engineering team.

MoxieMo

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Just wanted to say thank you, gatorknight904, as this solved my problem too. I went into my Photos, deleted screen screenshots (ironically taken from my iPad 12.9" new ipad) and it worked. I can now load photos back into my iMessages screen.

Luckily, I remembered when it started happening. I just so happened to save some wallpapers down to my device from this website: https://9to5mac.com/2018/10/30/ipad-pro-wallpapers-download/

Either the photos app in iMessage doesn’t like the file names or file size. I am leaning towards file name as they are pretty ugly.

I just haven’t had time to test it by changing the file name to something normal.

When I deleted all the wallpapers from my photos the photos app in iMessage started working properly again.

After some testing, I discovered the photos app in iMessage was only able to handle displaying 2 wallpapers from that website. When I saved down a 3rd is when I started getting the ‘unable to load photos” screen.

I already let Apple Support know. They took a screen recording of the issue and the logs from my iPad to send to their engineering team.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca

I just posted a new thread about this. I’m having this same issue on my new gen three 12.9. I set it up from an iCloud backup from a gen one 12.9. I’m still getting the unable to load photos in iMessages. Is it all the old screenshots causing this?

AmariSunshine

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2019
Has anyone found a solution? I’ve added new photos to my new ipad pro this week, and they are also not accessible when I try to get to them when sending a message in imessage. The old and new photos are all there when I just choose to look at them through photos.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Has anyone found a solution? I’ve added new photos to my new ipad pro this week, and they are also not accessible when I try to get to them when sending a message in imessage. The old and new photos are all there when I just choose to look at them through photos.

I took mine to a Genius appointment. Genius said it was a software issue that I somehow got when I set my 12.9 up from my iCloud backup. Apple completely erased my iPad and set it up as new. Guess what? The problem continued. However, we (me and the Genuis at Apple) nailed it down to screenshots. It still happens even after Apple replaced my iPad. If I take a screenshot then the photos will not load from the iMessage app. But they will send as through iMessage if I send them from the actual photos app.

I deleted all my screeenshots and “magically” the photos started loading like they should in the iMessage app. Completely weird but I can replicate the issue every time when screenshots are in my iPad camera roll. Delete the screenshots and the problem goes away.

Strangely, I don’t have this issue on with my iPhone 10. Both iPhone and iPad are running current up to date software.

AmariSunshine

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2019
Very interesting, RevTEG. I’ll have to experiment with that. Darn, though. Screenshots are most of what is in my photo library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.