Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
Is anyone else having an issue with Messages showing unread messages on the app icon even though you've read all your messages?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Now on DP 8, the "reboot" fix doesn't work. The icon won't go away!

EDIT: After a few restarts and texting myself a few times the icon finally went away!

dcaryll

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Relaunch Dock to Fix This

I get annoyed by this error too. I found that if you relaunch the dock, it will get rid of the icon.

To do this:

1. Command + Spacebar, then type "Terminal"

2. In Terminal, paste "killall -KILL Dock" and hit enter

3. Your dock should refresh, getting rid of the error icon in the Messages app

halexmorph

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2014
Same Issue

Restarting the dock and rebooting the machine did not fix it for me. I'm on a mac mini, I have had this issue recently on a macbook pro as well. I had to contact support and they walked me through the process of deleting some settings files for the Messages app and then rebooting the computer, forcing it to reset all notifications. This fixed this issue but is a pain in the butt. Contact support for the steps if needed. I asked them several times to make sure a bug was logged for this and the lady said she would log it but since I was the only person she had ever heard of having this issue she didn't expect anything to be done with it. I would suggest contacting support just so they realize this is a real issue, even if you've already fixed it.

LynchGraphics

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2015
Asheville, NC
I figured out a fix

After trying a force quit, and the "killall Dock" Terminal command (neither worked), I tried the following:

Click and hold down the mouse button on the Messages icon in the Dock. The popup menu should list the conversation/person with the unread message. Open Messages, select that conversation, right-click it and choose Delete Conversation in that popup menu (the command is also available in the File Menu at the top of the screen).

That got rid of the pesky badge!

In my case, I didn't need to save the conversation that was causing the problem. If you need to save your conversation before deleting it, follow the instructions here:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH20163?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Hope this helps!

Ms Paula

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2015
Thank you!

"Click and hold down the mouse button on the Messages icon in the Dock. The popup menu should list the conversation/person with the unread message."

This was the first "fix" that actually worked. After I was able to see which messages were unread, I opened them, which cleared the "unread" badge. " I could then either keep the messages or delete them.

I never saw this fix posted anywhere else, even after searching several different websites and discussion boards. Kudos to LynchGraphics!

Last edited:
Reactions: funnyboy88

funnyboy88

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Thank you!

"Click and hold down the mouse button on the Messages icon in the Dock. The popup menu should list the conversation/person with the unread message."

This was the first "fix" that actually worked. After I was able to see which messages were unread, I opened them, which cleared the "unread" badge. " I could then either keep the messages or delete them.

I never saw this fix posted anywhere else, even after searching several different websites and discussion boards. Kudos to LynchGraphics!

OMG YES. Such a simple fix, but this worked for me. I've been dealing with this unread badge notification for monthssssss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.