Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maswriter

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Orange County, CA
I updated macOS Ventura to the Rapid Security Response version 13.4.1 (a), and I notice some unusual behavior with Facebook and Instagram. Facebook displays this Unsupported Browser message and switches to the mobile version of the Facebook site.

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 5.08.13 PM.png

Instagram also displays a "This web browser is no longer supported" message.

My version of Safari is 16.5.2 (a).

Setting aside all snark about Mark Zuckerberg and Meta aside, has anyone had the same issue? Does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

paulvee

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
NYC
Same here. The update broke something - or Meta broke something that the update ran into. I guess I'll just wait now and use Firefox for FB content.

andrewbr

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2023
Brisbane, Australia
Issues with Zoom when clicking a meeting link also - says browser not supported - but the page does at least offer a "Launch meeting" link which still works to join meetings. So not just Meta.

zer0ed

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2016
Idaho
Exact same problem here. I updated from 13.4.1 to 13.4.1 (a) and have the same message when connecting to Facebook.

zer0ed

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2016
Idaho
Out of interest, what is the reported user agent now? (e.g. https://whatmyuseragent.com/)

Edit: Apparently there is now a letter in the Safari version identifier, and it seems that some poorly-written sites are having issues with this.
Yes, Safari shows version 16.5.2 (a) here. All the other sites I normally visit are working fine, just Facebook. LOL

Last edited:

ThemePro

macrumors demi-god
May 1, 2010
You can change the user agent in Safari to Firefox or Chrome, or you can use the Safari Technology Preview. To change the user agent though, you need to enable the Develop menu. To do that, open the Safari menu > Preferences > Advanced tab. At the bottom of the window, check the box Show Develop menu in menu bar. Click the Develop menu > User Agent, then choose the desired web browser. Also, from what I read on the news site, Apple has pulled the update due to the agent bug and will probably try again tomorrow. You could of course remove the security update - it's fairly simple but I rather have the security update and use the workaround until Apple puts out a corrected version.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I don't use Safari as my browser - Firefox here - so I missed this excitement entirely. Went to Safari and my Facebook - and sure 'nuff. Not sure if the patch (sorry, Rapid Security Response) broke something or whether it caught something Meta was always doing security-wise and stopped it.

I can still sign-in to Facebook and it redirects to the m.facebook.com version used for cell phones and tablets, so not totally broken. Meanwhile, I don't seem to have any issue with Safari and Instagram...

Finger-pointing to follow by one or the another multi-trillion dollar company before offering an update. Not worth getting knickers in a twist about.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Was the update issued today? Last time I saw a rapid security response update was a while ago. Just wondering if I'm missing an update.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
It's the changed User Agent. Apple pulled the update. You can remove it under:
Settings>General>About>iOS | macOS Version (info)

Attachments

• macOS security resposne removal.png
    macOS security resposne removal.png
    877.7 KB · Views: 61

zer0ed

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2016
Idaho
I did not remove the Rapid Security Response and FB is back to normal today.
Interesting, since I tried it earlier this morning and it still didn't work so I removed it. I'll wait until Apple re-issues the fixed RSR update to apply it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.