Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Yeah, and the Metal drivers, even if they help in situations where the CPU is limiting, have the opposite effect when the GPU is limiting. The GPU code they produce is not mature yet and needs optimization.

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
WoWs OpenGL renderer has also had years of optimisation and it's in a sorry state, just like the drivers.

Obviously Metal needs time to mature, but until then we have a rotting/abandoned API and an infant API. Neither of which bode well for 3D performance on the Mac.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
OpenGL in current form in Metal is "legacy" mode API. That is why it is there. New games i presume will be completely Metal based without OpenGL.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
DirectX still flies ahead of Metal in GFXBench and the WoW: Legion alpha :\
How did you compare GFXBench results? Did you run the test on Windows and OS X on the same Mac?
The database shows results ranked by GPUs, but the offscreen results will mostly depend on CPU performance (where Metal makes a difference).
According to the ranking, my radeon R9280 can be faster than a titan black and slower than a laptop GPU at the same time.

Last edited:

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
WoWs OpenGL renderer has also had years of optimisation and it's in a sorry state, just like the drivers.

Obviously Metal needs time to mature, but until then we have a rotting/abandoned API and an infant API. Neither of which bode well for 3D performance on the Mac.

The OpenGL backend in alpha has been completely re-written to use core profile.
It also needs optimisation.

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
How did you compare GFXBench results? Did you run the test on Windows and OS X on the same Mac?
The database shows results ranked by GPUs, but the offscreen results will mostly depend on CPU performance (where Metal makes a difference).
According to the ranking, my radeon R9280 can be faster than a titan black and slower than a laptop GPU at the same time.

Yeah, I just ran them on the same Mac.
The database seems pretty sparse on OS X results and I'm more interested in my own results anyway.

The OpenGL backend in alpha has been completely re-written to use core profile.
It also needs optimisation.

I'm talking about live, not Alpha. Live performance also trails Windows, despite having years of optimisations.

Last edited:

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Ok but you reply to a post that just stated that the Alpha version was 50-75% faster than the live version...
And as you can see from this thread, the Metal version of GFXBench can be up to 2x-3x faster than openGL (not even counting the driver overhead test that runs 10x faster) IF if you have a good GPU or run the test at low res (when the GPU is limiting, it won't be faster). What's you config?

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
Regarding GFXBench, no ones Metal results have been "2x-3x" faster than OpenGL across the board.

Regarding World of Warcraft,
1) I said Metal was lagging behind Direct3D
2) JordanNZ dismissed this, saying Metal is new and needs optimisation
3) I said the OpenGL also lags behind Direct3D and does not need optimisation
4) JordanNZ misinterpreted this as being about the Alpha client and dismissed it
5) I clarified that I am referring to the live client, which also lags behind Direct3D and has had years of optimisation

Here's a wrap-up of everything I've posted regarding Metal which seems to be so controversial.
- Apple let OpenGL rot for so long it was apparently easier/more productive for them in the long run to port Metal over from iOS than to fix OpenGL
- Metal performs worse than Direct3D
- Metal is improving, but it's not there yet.
- OpenGL on the Mac performs worse than Direct3D
- Despite being abandoned by Apple, OpenGL will remain in widespread use on the Mac until Metal provides features (including ease of porting Direct3D code) and performance OpenGL does not
- GFXBench test results have only demonstrated that Metal performs ahead of OpenGL in specific situations. This is likely to change, however it has still not demonstrated a conclusive performance increase over OpenGL which can be attributed to Metal being superior and not OS X OpenGL being left to rot.

Last edited:

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Regarding GFXBench, no ones Metal results have been "2x-3x" faster than OpenGL across the board.

Regarding World of Warcraft,
1) I said Metal was lagging behind Direct3D
2) JordanNZ dismissed this, saying Metal is new and needs optimisation
3) I said the OpenGL also lags behind Direct3D and does not need optimisation
4) JordanNZ misinterpreted this as being about the Alpha client and dismissed it
5) I clarified that I am referring to the live client, which also lags behind Direct3D and has had years of optimisation

I didn't dispute that Metal is currently lagging behind direct3d. Metal IS new, and performance in alpha is already far better than it was at the start. It's already faster than OpenGL.

The live client is running on OpenGL 2.1, and as WoWs features have progressed, this backend has struggled to keep up. Which is why Blizzard re-wrote the entire backend in core profile for the macs that don't support Metal.

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
Rewriting the backend to use OGL 3.3 doesn't change the fact that Apple's OpenGL drivers are still buggy/outdated and this is unlikely to change because of the focus being on Metal.

My point all along has been that Metal is not ready for primetime and OpenGL is not ready to retire, so in the interim we've two mediocre APIs.

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Rewriting the backend to use OGL 3.3 doesn't change the fact that Apple's OpenGL drivers are still buggy/outdated and this is unlikely to change because of the focus being on Metal.

My point all along has been that Metal is not ready for primetime and OpenGL is not ready to retire, so in the interim we've two mediocre APIs.

If you have a Nvidia card you can download their drivers.

Considering metal is already faster than OpenGL (even with the web drivers), I'd hardly say it's mediocre.

If your point is to show that metal isn't as fast as D3D (yet) then you're correct. But the only way it's going to be 'ready for prime time' is to get applications using it, and fixing bugs/optimisation/adding features.

This is already happening.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Nobody is getting results "up to" 2x-3x faster across the board.
Sigh. Where did I say "across the board"?

I said
And as you can see from this thread, the Metal version of GFXBench can be up to 2x-3x faster than openGL (not even counting the driver overhead test that runs 10x faster)
It's pretty obvious that I was referring to individual tests.
[doublepost=1459721108][/doublepost]
But the only way it's going to be 'ready for prime time' is to get applications using it, and fixing bugs/optimisation/adding features.

This is already happening.
Yes, and Unreal Engine 4.11 was just released with Metal as the default render in OS X 10.11. Even if Metal lacks features present in openGL 4.11, it comes with compute shaders, which more are more important.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrUNIMOG

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
Here's a wrap-up of everything I've posted regarding Metal which seems to be so controversial.
- Apple let OpenGL rot for so long it was apparently easier/more productive for them in the long run to port Metal over from iOS than to fix OpenGL
- Metal performs worse than Direct3D
- Metal is improving, but it's not there yet.
- OpenGL on the Mac performs worse than Direct3D
- Despite being abandoned by Apple, OpenGL will remain in widespread use on the Mac until Metal provides features (including ease of porting Direct3D code) and performance OpenGL does not
- GFXBench test results have only demonstrated that Metal performs ahead of OpenGL in specific situations. This is likely to change, however it has still not demonstrated a conclusive performance increase over OpenGL which can be attributed to Metal being superior and not OS X OpenGL being left to rot.

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand

What's the argument here? That Metal currently performs worse than D3D?

All that matters is that it's better than OpenGL going forward, we don't have D3D on OSX and never will, so bringing that into the equation to defend OpenGL (which is slower than D3D on the other platforms using it also) is a strange argument. And so far in terms of speed, the applications using it have shown that it is.

The very nature of Metal being a streamlined API with efficient multi-threading support, and pre-complied shaders already gives it a technical advantage in terms of speed.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I don't think "Metal is already faster than OpenGL" tells the whole story, guys. Maybe it would be more accurate to say "Metal is already faster than Apple's OpenGL". In other words, how does the same test perform under OpenGL in OSX and OpenGL in windows ?

It might still be faster or not, but OpenGL in windows might perform better than it's older cousin on OS X side, because of better drivers and/or higher OpenGL version. Ideally, the latest manufacturer's drivers should be used on Windows (e.g. nVidia or AMD) and not Apple's.

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
I don't think "Metal is already faster than OpenGL" tells the whole story, guys. Maybe it would be more accurate to say "Metal is already faster than Apple's OpenGL". In other words, how does the same test perform under OpenGL in OSX and OpenGL in windows ?

It might still be faster or not, but OpenGL in windows might perform better than it's older cousin on OS X side, because of better drivers and/or higher OpenGL version. Ideally, the latest manufacturer's drivers should be used on Windows (e.g. nVidia or AMD) and not Apple's.

Or Nvidias OpenGL.. Metal is beating the web drivers in WoW.
None of this matters anyway, because there's no games that matter using OpenGL on Windows.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Or Nvidias OpenGL.. Metal is beating the web drivers in WoW.
None of this matters anyway, because there's no games that matter using OpenGL on Windows.

That's true. Just wanted to point out that there's no real benefit from comparing Metal against a dead horse that Apple deliberately left it to die on OS X.

iPhonePunker

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
Ireland
Mac Pro 4.1 (5.1 patch)
x2 Intel Xeon E5520 2.27GhZ 8 Core's 16 Threads.
40GB DDR3 1066Mhz RAM
EVGA GTX 980 SC
Nvidia GT 120
Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 23.15.56.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 23.17.48.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 23.13.57.png

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
So how does Metal compare to openGL, which his the main point of this thread?

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
It's better not to use the onscreen tests anyway. OpenGL is capped at 60 fps on these.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.