Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Second video isn’t available.

Do you live in a restricted country? Have you tried his other videos? He is located in the UK and I have no problem watching the video:

Skärmavbild 2022-01-17 kl. 03.10.04.png

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Two new tips for Metro Exodus for post 1:
  • 0116- Save game location (PC)- CDrive/Users/UserName/Saved Games/Metro Exodus. Metro Exodus is a game where IMO you really want to keep copies of your save games each day so you have the ability to go backwards. The only thing the game saves long term are the chapters/levels, (not certain, might be wrong about starting the chapter at the beginning, have not tested my chapter theory), but my impression is if you want to go back to the day before, it's a lot less work than starting a chapter at the beginning when you are near the end of it.
  • 0116- new When you go to the Terminal (Caspian Sea final stop) for the fuel truck, no need for a sniper rifle, your much better served by the revolver (silenced which has many more rounds than either of the shotguns), a shotgun, and the assault rifle or the Tikhar. It’s very possible that you are committed once you hit the area just before hitting the bridge inside the facility, where I went through a door that locked behind me. The revolver with a silencer on it is easily good for a couple of stealth kills. And there is a heavy gunner up there, molotovs and incendiary rounds (if you chose Tikhar) continue to be effective against them. Oh, yes talking to the Baron is much less work.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Added to post 1:
Tip 0117:
Karma- There is an invisible karma system in this game. Things like don't kill people who surrender or you may get "the bad ending". And also talking to people with your gun tilted down (H) is good vs pointing it at them, really? Maybe. I've not looked ahead to see just what the bad ending is..but the second link says it's bad. I can't say how bad it actually is, and don't know if the article tells you, cause I stopped reading before the end. I do know I have an in-game wife I would prefer no harm comes to her.
PC Gamer Link

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont
Added to post 1:
Tip 0117:
Karma- There is an invisible karma system in this game. Things like don't kill people who surrender or you may get "the bad ending". And also talking to people with your gun tilted down (H) is good vs pointing it at them, really? Maybe. I've not looked ahead to see just what the bad ending is..but the second link says it's bad. I can't say how bad it actually is, and don't know if the article tells you, cause I stopped reading before the end. I do know I have an in-game wife I would prefer no harm comes to her.
PC Gamer Link

There's 3 main events that determine your good or bad ending. Killing surrendered dudes or not doesn't matter in general, even though the karma chime will sound. It only matters how lethal or not you are in specific sections of the game OR what actions you perform or not. I can spoil it if you want, but basically you need 2/3 to be "good" otherwise you get the bad ending. I was a murder hobo for almost all of the game and still got the good ending.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There's 3 main events that determine your good or bad ending. Killing surrendered dudes or not doesn't matter in general, even though the karma chime will sound. It only matters how lethal or not you are in specific sections of the game OR what actions you perform or not. I can spoil it if you want, but basically you need 2/3 to be "good" otherwise you get the bad ending. I was a murder hobo for almost all of the game and still got the good ending.
You have placed me in a quandary. I don’t want to know what the bad ending is, but maybe you could tell me with spoiler shield the most important way to avoid the bad ending as I don’t want it.

Reactions: Irishman

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Metro Exodus : Dead City Chapter Progress- What a fun game! :D

Game Saves- A broken pile of crap. For Metro Exodus I can‘t over stress how important that you back up your game progress every day in separate folders, that is if you care about replaying a particular section of the game.

The save system sucks and on top of that is broken. Despite example of being supposed to be able to restart any started chapter, there are multiple cases of players asking for help because it‘s not working, and it’s not working for me either even though my save files show a player file for each zone I’ve been in.

What the save system in actuality only gives you, is your last 3 manual saves and maybe an auto save or two. Everything previous is flushed. As I said the save files show evidence of a player zone save, I assume is intended to allow you to return to the beginning of a previous chapter, that is not working for me and other players.

And at one point mid game I remember seeing several chapter choices, when “chapter” was selected at the start of a play session, but maybe related to DLC which I downloaded, now, besides the DLCs, the only chapter option offered is the Moscow chapter, which is the frick’n beginning of the game. :mad:

Here is an example of why you might want to restart the Dead City chapter Or just be smarter than me. ;) When I left the train, there is no going back to it, without a handy save. Once you drive away from the train in a truck, you are likely committed.

For load out, I chose the Helsing crossbow, because it was so handy in the previous chapter Taiga. In that chapter you lose all your gear and stumble across this crossbow which works wonderfully for that chapter. Helsing is not as good in the Metro tunnels.

If you don’t like spoilers stop here, although I don’t consider this to be a serious spoiler, it is gameplay techniques, which you might want to figure out on your own, anyway…

So I thought I’d continue using it as my stealth weapon, along with a Shambler (shotgun), and the assault rifle (Kalash) . For the Dead City, you are back in the Metro, I quickly used up all of my shotgun shells on mutants in close quarters fighting and at this point wanted to go back to the train via save file and reconfigure my load out. That was not happening due to the BS save system.

Of note at your first stop in this level where there is a work bench, the Colonel who is accompanying you, (although you actually follow him :)), he offers you his rail gun (converted Tikhar). I swapped that out getting rid of the crossbow because even though the Helsing crossbow has both explosive and incendiary ammo, Tikhar ammo is cheaper and very effective except everything but the bosses, which frankly can’t be killed by inflicting damage alone. Notice how I said that, ;) For the two bosses I have come across, the Molotovs which you may or may not have any or many, will serve you well.

8367C48D-4E4C-474E-8CCB-046F350EFAC6.png
Here eat a bolt.

Big Ugly Bear, (Taiga chapter) the prettiest zone, but you fight him twice and winning is a matter of how good you are at last minure straffing, and how much damage you inflict on him. Big and furry, add fire, besides lots-O-bullets, that makes sense.

With King Kong (Dead City) you can avoid him (so far), with your dashing shoes ;), and look for doors to enter/exit by. I did singe his ass, but suspect he may appear and force me to fight him before the chapter ends. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Metro Exodus- Yahoo! I got the good ending. What a great game! :D Except for the save system. Back up your save at the Beginning of each chapter. At best there are a couple of Quick Saves, and there are supposed to be chapter saves, but they did not work properly for me...

Oh, King Kong (the librarians in the Institute) there are 2 of them and they are blind....

Good and Bad Ending the Karma system: https://www.psu.com/news/metro-exodus-endings-good-and-bad-ending/
Basically
  • Don't kill slaves
  • Don't kill people who surrender to you (knock them out and loot them instead).
  • Release prisoners when you find them.
  • The link says more, but this should be good enough.
Now there are a couple of DLCs I'm going to check out. More to come! :)
First Sam's Story: The one American in this story continues East to Vladivostok to see if there is a way to get across the Pacific back to America.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irishman

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I completed The Metro Exodus DLC: Sam’s Story. Overall it is worthy yet I continue to be thankful for the stealth mechanic, and the AI is simplistic, enemies tend to offer themselves up.

Normally in the main game and most of this DLC, I can explore and salvage adequate supplies to manufacture health kits, gas mask air filters, and ammo. This has not been an issue except for one point in this DLC.

My complaints, I have several.
  • Previously mentioned, this game‘s save system is the absolute worst, possibly broken, and extremely limited, and could easily paint you into a corner. If you're smart, or care about retrurning to different parts of the game, it is in your best interests to make manual daily or even 2 manual save backups per play session, otherwise, you’ll find you are locked into a very small timeframe where you can repeat content. You are supposed to be able to reload each Chapter-map but this feature was broken for me, even though you can see chapter saves in the game’s save folder and even that (if it works) only allows you to restart a chapter which can be long.
  • In both the main game and this DLC, a real danger is fighting critters in a radioactive environment. Most of the game is not radioactive environments, but when you find yourself in a radioactive location, you better damned well have enough gas mask filters or you are dead and because of the game‘s broken save system, it might be difficult to go back and remedy this situation.
  • The second combat note, and I can’t in itself call it a complaint, is while wearing a mask due to a poisonous or radioactive environment, if an attacking critter can get close enough to hit you, they will first crack and then break your gas mask, in a matter of seconds you start this horrible gasping followed by death. As soon as I saw a hole in the glass of my mask, I‘d immediately reload a save.
  • So this kind of becomes a complaint when this mask issue is combined with being >short of ammo<, and without the flexibility of a decent save system, to correct your lack of foresight ;), you maybe are screwed or you will be repeating a section of the game multiple (20?) times to get through it. As I previously said, normally I had adequate ammo, but this one sequence fighting electric scorpions while trying to retrieve fuel rods for a nuclear sub was a ball buster for me. For perspective, I never claimed to be a stellar FPS player. :)
Whining aside, I like the atmosphere of this game overall, and am considering starting The Two Colonels DLC. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Irishman and Homy

Dave2022

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2022
I started playing Metro Exodus on my new MacBook Pro M2 Max with 32 GB memory. I have to say the graphics are amazing. I purchased the steam version of the game when it was on sale. I connected my Mac to my Samsung Q92BA TV by HDMI 2.1 and had the game freeze. I have read some issues with this game with an external monitor. I am running it at about 1900 x 1200 resolution high quality. I also heard the game freezes when the resolution isn't below the notch so changed that and played the game again just on the Mac screen with no issues and the game ran smoothly. I have not tried it yet back with the tv. I had a few questions.

1. Has anyone had external monitor issues and if so what did you do for a fix?

2. Have you ran higher resolutions and can the hardware handle it?

3. I do have the fans running and the computer gets a bit warm. Is this concerning over a long period of time? I have apple care + for 3 years but obviously don't want to damage anything

4. Can you run Metal in the steam version?

Thanks

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.