Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Probably not seeing the information, how do I check what driver I have and will Apple over write it at some point? Part way through Metro Last Light and been mulling over the redux versions but the poor reviews put me off. Not using Steam, but will be the App store. Down to £7.99 at the moment.

So, are you able to find out what GPU your Mac has? If it's nVidia, you can download their web drivers and use the accompanying control panel to switch back and forth between Apple's drivers and nVidia's drivers. So, you're not committed to the web drivers if you don't want to be. :) And, if Apple upgrades their OS, and you download it, you'll have to reinstall the web drivers. It happened to me when I upgraded to El Cap.

That said, the web drivers seem to be what has really taken my Metro performance to a new level!

I recommend the Redux versions to anyone with a late 2012 or newer Mac with an nVidia GPU.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
Cheers. Thanks for the info. I do not tend to mess around with the OS a lot as it generally does what I want. I shall give this a go.

Edit. Not compatible says the pop up window, I am running beta. Never mind.

Last edited:

Ichkamo

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2013
World Wide Web
Those specs were copied and pasted from the steam web page for the game.

Checking "About this Mac" on my iMac reveals the following for the GPU in this system:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB

So unless Apple does not know what they put in here, I guess it must be an Nvidia GTX card. ;)

OMG, I'm still with my late 2008 's NVIDIA 9600M GT... time for an upgrade I guess ;)

Reactions: Dirtyharry50
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.