Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JosepPont

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2019
Albaida, Valencian Country
Hi everyone. I was one that follow this forum when the rumors about the 16 inch grow up in October. You people made the wait much more enjoyable, thanks. I posted some comments in some related threads that I was so nervous and with no hope the machine was released this year but...but November 13th was a great day. A great day that we all was waiting "patiently".

I waited some days after the release to see your first impressions and in November 25th I decided to order my machine. I decided to go for i9 2.3GHz, 32GB RAM and 5500 8GB. At the first time I was doubting about take 64GB of RAM thinking in future proofing but I read a comment saying that in the future, when (probably) need 64 GB, that will not the problem, the problem will be the processor, GPU, etc. and it convinced me to stay in 32 GB. Note that is my first Mac, I'm coming from a 2011 HP Pavilion dv6 (a really crap machine) but I was working with a Lenovo laptop in my work. All low-specked.

My needs are stack and process RAW astrophotos with a astrophotography software called Pixinsight, managing a hundred of photos per work/session. Also some 4 video editing (non professional) and 2 or 3 VM at the same time with Debian/Ubuntu.

I saw that the price to upgrade the GPU is not much more so I take the highest option for occasional gaming.

And finally, yesterday at the last time, the machine knock my door. My first impression was: Wooaaw! looks great!!. Now I'm learning about how to move across the new system (for me) and checking some issues that some people was reporting: Screen light bleeding, whine coil noise and the pop sounds (that is fixed by the upgrade I think).

I'm really really happy and impressed with this beautiful beast, no bleeding light, no coil noise, no problems, the keyboard and the sound is fantastic (I am very obsessive with those things).

By the way, I have a couple of doubts: the first one is the RAM manage. There is a process called corespotlightd that is eating about 3 GB and another called windowserver that is eating about 1-2 GB more. The first one I read is the spotlight indexing and is momentary but, it is normal the windowserver chunks that quantity of memory?

The second one is, is here someone that is using a Samsung X5 to Bootcamp W10 and gaming? If not, I'm trying to do that and in some days I'll post my results.

Thank you all and congrats for this community!! ? (this is my first emoji with the Touch Bar, lol).

Josep Pont

Last edited:

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Can u post your panel version and Mac manufacturer date?
When you post a question like this, why don't you mention how to do it as well? Not everyone knows how to dig in and pull their panel version and m. date. I certainly don't, and I'm guessing quite a few other folks don't either. Thx!

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
Hi sat24, how can I do that? Where is this information?
Here it is:
For Panel rev - run ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6 in Terminal. For Mfg dt, get CoconutBattery app.

It's also in sig :)
[automerge]1576341072[/automerge]
When you post a question like this, why don't you mention how to do it as well? Not everyone knows how to dig in and pull their panel version and m. date. I certainly don't, and I'm guessing quite a few other folks don't either. Thx!
Good point. I added the info into my signature now.

It's also here in case u r on a mobile (where sig. doesnt show) - For Panel rev - run ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6 in Terminal. For Mfg dt, get CoconutBattery app.

Reactions: JosepPont

Can Inelli

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
Awesome. Glad to see a fellow astrophotographer with a 16inch MBP. I also use Pixinsight for post processing my deep space photos. This new device is absolutely a beast.

JosepPont

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2019
Albaida, Valencian Country
Here it is:
For Panel rev - run ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6 in Terminal. For Mfg dt, get CoconutBattery app.

It's also in sig :)
[automerge]1576341072[/automerge]

Good point. I added the info into my signature now.

It's also here in case u r on a mobile (where sig. doesnt show) - For Panel rev - run ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6 in Terminal. For Mfg dt, get CoconutBattery app.

Here's my terminal output:

??????
Color LCD
LP160WT1-SJA2
F0Y946504D1LP0JAW

#?1.C?^(

And the information from Coconut battery:

Captura de Pantalla 2019-12-14 a les 18.53.56.png

Reactions: sat24

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Same experience here, with a (almost) maxed-out model. Everything seems perfect, after 4 days of use. The only thing that's driving me nuts is how close they put the USB-C ports, which is insanely stupid. I've already had two accessories with plugs thick enough to block the other port.

But that's it, otherwise, I'm absolutely loving it, and that's coming from a 2015 maxed-out Jesusbook™ ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.