Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCrank

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
UK
I have been told whilst gaming that my mic sounds bad and lots of static from it.

Im no big gamer so although I could live without a mic it seems everyone has one whilst I have been playing Arma 3 Beta this past week, whi h I must add is truly epic and is extremely realisistic and can't believe its not even the full game yet. Actually makes BF3 look pathetic.

Anyways.... Never used a mic on Windows or Mac side before but did find an old mic kicking around that is small and clips to your shirt, however in bit sure if I am doing it right.

The mic i have is a jack connector and didn't even know where it goes. I plugged it into the jack point beside the my headphone point in my 2012 MBP. I have used without the mic using instead the build in mic in the MBP and it is the same, so maybe the jack mic didn't work at all and was picking up from the mic in the MBP?

Anyone have any ideas if I am doing things right or if I need a new mic if so what should I get. I don't want some serious looking headset just the same sort of mic I have already. Although surely the build in mic should work right? What even is Static?

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I have been told whilst gaming that my mic sounds bad and lots of static from it.

Im no big gamer so although I could live without a mic it seems everyone has one whilst I have been playing Arma 3 Beta this past week, whi h I must add is truly epic and is extremely realisistic and can't believe its not even the full game yet. Actually makes BF3 look pathetic.

Anyways.... Never used a mic on Windows or Mac side before but did find an old mic kicking around that is small and clips to your shirt, however in bit sure if I am doing it right.

The mic i have is a jack connector and didn't even know where it goes. I plugged it into the jack point beside the my headphone point in my 2012 MBP. I have used without the mic using instead the build in mic in the MBP and it is the same, so maybe the jack mic didn't work at all and was picking up from the mic in the MBP?

Anyone have any ideas if I am doing things right or if I need a new mic if so what should I get. I don't want some serious looking headset just the same sort of mic I have already. Although surely the build in mic should work right? What even is Static?

The static could just be because the input volume/Db's are too high.

If you're in windows go to control panel, sounds, click recording tab and you'll see your mac's built in mic, and the other one.

You have to make the new mic the default, also if you click properties for that mic you can also set it's input volume in decibels. The higher the more sensitive it is.

So if it's too high you'll constantly hear a static like sound or hum. Best way is to experiment.

In OS X just go to System Preferences and Sound, then click Input and click the other mic that' not the built in one. It also has a slider to set it's input level.

If none of that helps, it might just be that mic that's causing issues.

MacCrank

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
UK
Thanks N19...

I shall take another look at the mic in the control panel settings before I bin it and buy another mic.
I was wondering if I had it plugged in in the correct port. I read that you get USB mics too so did think maybe the jack type was not compatible especially with it being on bootcamp as well. But then surely the build in mic should have worked ok, however like you said it may be too high. How can I tune it to the correct level? when i did it last week to set it up it didnt give me any noise, enabling me to hear myself back through the mic.

Ta again

Last edited:

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
You can always open garageband and do a voice recording and check, you can also use skype to do that test call to check if it's working all right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.