Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colejwl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2016
Hello, I'm wondering if any of you have ever took your iMac to MicroCenter to be upgraded. I'm willing to upgrade my iMac 2007, Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz for a speed boost, and don't feel like buying a whole new machine. I mainly would just like to upgrade the HDD to an SSD, and I read online that you can replace the processor. The processor part is not necessary, it handles medium Photoshop editing. I think the main issue is my HDD. I just want to upgrade to an SSD. My question to you is:

How much would it cost?

Amount of time it'd take to upgrade?

Can I use the old hard drive as a Time Machine backup but as an external?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I did this with an old Intel iMac once. I had a good experience there.

If the only upgrade you're doing is the HDD -> SSD swap, the price according to their site is $29.99 + the cost of parts. Installation generally takes a few hours, because iMacs in particular are a pain to disassemble. And finally, you sure can, if you get an "internal to external drive caddy" for it. Connect the drive, connect power, connect USB, and off you go.

Reactions: colejwl

colejwl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2016
I did this with an old Intel iMac once. I had a good experience there.

If the only upgrade you're doing is the HDD -> SSD swap, the price according to their site is $29.99 + the cost of parts. Installation generally takes a few hours, because iMacs in particular are a pain to disassemble. And finally, you sure can, if you get an "internal to external drive caddy" for it. Connect the drive, connect power, connect USB, and off you go.
Thanks!

colejwl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2016
Okay, I had the SSD installed for $60 and my overall experience was 5/10. Mostly because my "tech" was an a$$hole. Took it in Monday, said it would be done Tuesday. We called and asked why it wasn't done, the "tech" tried to say an SSD would not help my Mac at all to my friend. (I wasn't home at the time but she texted me) I told her to say install it anyways this guy does not know what he is talking about. So he installs it THE NEXT DAY, and I got it back yesterday at 9pm. I went to pick it up and he said "I talked to a girl on the phone" So I said, "Welp I must sound like a girl." At this point I was done and just wanted my computer. I get home, it is running amazingly fast. But, there is dust all over the LCD panel I assume in the screen. I do not believe I will be taking my Mac back if this dude is there.

Reactions: satcomer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.