Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2004
I'm looking for a small microphone to use to record lectures. The built in one works great but i can't type while using it or you hear the clickity click of my typing. does anyone have an recommendations for a small usb mic ... no long cords, can be very easily removed and placed and pointed directly where i need it to go.. almost like one of those usb keyboard lights.. they bend but stay in the position you bend them in. or if anyone else has any other recommendations that work for you that might work here i'd love to hear them. I use AudioHiJack Pro to record the lectures

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
This thing might work:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0044668

image.phtml

I use a similar mic for audio chatting in iChat. It works great for that purpose.

edit: it's $8 plus shipping right now.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
You can get inexpensive unidirectional (cardioid) microphones from The Sound Professionals pretty easily. They usually have clips or other mounts, as well, so you can clip it to the top of your Powerbook or the front of your desk.

If you're having trouble, just email them and they'll help you out.

I've been using Sound Pros for my mics (I record concerts as a hobby) for four years and I've never been disappointed.

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2004
key here is "small" ... meaning nothing bulky ... preferably something so lightweight and small it could be the size of a pen or something but a bit longer... the idea is just to get a decent recording that doesn't include my fingers tapping on keys ...

upon looking at griffin's website it seems they have a new mic on there... The Lapel mic... http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/lapelmic/index.php

which seems to be about what i'm looking for sizewise... and at $15.. can't really complain either

i'm not sure how big the iMic or the one Rod Rod mentioned are but they appear a bit big for what i'm looking at, at least from the pictures. the lapelmic seems to be your typical mic, not usb which might be better powerwise anyway.. looking around on the sound professionals website a bit to see what they offer there before i look at ordering anything though

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Logik said:
key here is "small" ... meaning nothing bulky ... preferably something so lightweight and small it could be the size of a pen or something but a bit longer... the idea is just to get a decent recording that doesn't include my fingers tapping on keys ...
Sounds Professionals would fit this bill perfectly.

upon looking at griffin's website it seems they have a new mic on there... The Lapel mic... http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/lapelmic/index.php
But that's something that looks perfect. The only caveat is that it's omnidirectional rather than unidirectional, so you'll pick up the chatter around you from your classmates in addition to the lecture from your teacher/professor.

HTH.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
looks like griffen's lapel mic would be great, you could clip it to the top of your powerbook screen, i think it would work the best from what i have seen out there

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
PlaceofDis said:
looks like griffen's lapel mic would be great, you could clip it to the top of your powerbook screen, i think it would work the best from what i have seen out there

That might not solve the problem though; if attached to the top of the PB screen, the keyboard sounds would likely be picked up. That's what Logik is trying to prevent.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Rod Rod said:
That might not solve the problem though; if attached to the top of the PB screen, the keyboard sounds would likely be picked up. That's what Logik is trying to prevent.
Which is why I suggested a unidirectional mic. :)

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
what about those microphone clips things for a camcorder.... that u wear on a shirt, u can clip it to the top of the monitor/on the corner.... I think u can get them at radioshack for cheap?!

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
The Griffin iMic may work for you.

The iMic is simply an audio input. It doesn't have a microphone on it, so it wouldn't do him much good. The PB has an audio input line already, so the iMic would do nothing for him.

Daniel

toezter

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2004
Madison, WI
quick question, what do you use to record? what format does it record in?

btw, is it possible to record lectures with an iSight? just auditory, not a/v.

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2004
toezter said:
quick question, what do you use to record? what format does it record in?

btw, is it possible to record lectures with an iSight? just auditory, not a/v.

i personally use Audio HiJack Pro... you can have it grab audio from any application or device that does audio that is connected to your machine. you can save in MP3, AAC, AIFF, apple lossless.... at any bitrate combination your heart desires.. i bought pro for the scheduling ability (online radio shows)... you can get by with Audio HiJack .. i believe the non-pro is $20.. and pro is $32

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
audio in confusion

I remember looking through a few threads a while back when I posted a similar thread (no responses :() and people were discussing how some mics wouldn't work and some do and I reached a point of confusion. In fact, I'm still confused.

Anyway, what I think Logik is looking for, if he has the same problem as me is something like this: http://tinyurl.com/3tjtt Now, it is a link to ebay, so be warned. However, if anybody knows if something like this will work, I'd love to know. It looks portable, but I don't want to be stuck with crap that doesn't work. Trying to make out important concepts through the click click of my keyboard is insanity.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
nbs2 said:
Anyway, what I think Logik is looking for, if he has the same problem as me is something like this: http://tinyurl.com/3tjtt [...]
That will work, but you'll be CLOSER to the keyboard and FURTHER from your lecturer. It's not what you want.

You want something that is unidirectional (aka cardioid) rather than omnidirection (aka binaural), and you want something that you can either clip to your LCD and point at the vocal source or has its own base and can be pointed some other way.

Ideally, you would get the instructor to wear a wireless lapel mic and plug the receiver into your laptop, but that's not exactly "small." ;)

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2004
toezter said:
what about recording audio (only) with the iSight?

btw, i just got hijack pro, thanks.

not positive since i don't own one.. but would love to have one...

try this though...

open Audio HiJack Pro, goto Quick Record panel on the left pane, under Input, change from application to audio device, hit thee ol Select button to the right side, and see if iSight is listed in that, might be might not be, not sure. does the audio go through Firewire or does it have a line in plug? if it's line in on the mac, just select "Built-In Audio - Line In"

Again, not sure, please reply if this doesn't work... in theory if the iSight makes available a microphone or sound input device, then AudioHiJack Pro should see it

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2004
nbs2 said:
I remember looking through a few threads a while back when I posted a similar thread (no responses :() and people were discussing how some mics wouldn't work and some do and I reached a point of confusion. In fact, I'm still confused.

Anyway, what I think Logik is looking for, if he has the same problem as me is something like this: http://tinyurl.com/3tjtt Now, it is a link to ebay, so be warned. However, if anybody knows if something like this will work, I'd love to know. It looks portable, but I don't want to be stuck with crap that doesn't work. Trying to make out important concepts through the click click of my keyboard is insanity.

unfortunately that guy is way to close to the keyboard yet.. i was looking for something similar to the flexmic .. i haven't seen a price on that yet but it's another option.. i'm thinkin of goin with the griffin lapel mic should i choose to buy a mic.. i'm not in need of one at the very moment so i'm just doin a bit of looking right now, but will likely use it a lot for my spring classes so definitely need to get one eventually.

inlimbo

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Get an iPod

I use my iTalk with my 20Gb 3rd generation iPod to record my lectures and it works a treat.

I put my iPod on the desk/lectern if front of the lecturer to record. Even when they walk away from their lectern it still picks them up.

Two caveats though:
1) i put it on the lecturers lectern/desk because the iTalks range is not that good. If u r sitting up the back of the lecture hall forget it.
2) Occassionly my iPod freezes with the iTalk attached. I make sure the iPod is on full charge before I use it to reduce the chance of it freezing. The lectures that i record usually go from 45mins to 2 hrs. But i have enough battery left to listen to them and write them out on the way home on the train.

My friend ownes a 4th Generation iPod (the clickwheel one) and his doesn't freeze so it must be a 3rd gen problem.

Basically the iTalk in conjunction with my iPod is a great combination. The iPod records the date and time of the lecture as well. Im currently creating a Perl script which reads the date and figures out what lecture it is and renames it accordingly (so i dont have too).

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
obtrusiveness

ChrisBrightwell said:
That will work, but you'll be CLOSER to the keyboard and FURTHER from your lecturer. It's not what you want.

You want something that is unidirectional (aka cardioid) rather than omnidirection (aka binaural), and you want something that you can either clip to your LCD and point at the vocal source or has its own base and can be pointed some other way.

Ideally, you would get the instructor to wear a wireless lapel mic and plug the receiver into your laptop, but that's not exactly "small." ;)
I guess what I'm wondering is how loud the keys will sound from the external mic. I figured the sound of the keys was due to the fact that the mic was under the keyboard in the same enclosed space. The balance that I'm looking for is something that is not obtrusive but will let me record what I know I'm going to miss if a professor starts talking quicker than I can mentally process and then type - so, I would like something cheap. Going to the Sound Professionals, it looks like the unidirectional is more expensive than the omni.

I should mention that I'm recording while using Word 2004 audio-notes feature, so using the iPod (which I had originally considered) is not a viable option.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
nbs2 said:
I guess what I'm wondering is how loud the keys will sound from the external mic. I figured the sound of the keys was due to the fact that the mic was under the keyboard in the same enclosed space.

What if you got a small mic and taped it to the back/front (however u look at it) to the screen, near the glowing apple logo. WHile ugly, the screen can block the sound (some/most) of the keys....
*just an idea* :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.