Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BF1M

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2018
Pushing the button for Siri = hear's every 10 words or so.
Hey Siri = can understand me just fine
Phone Calls = can hear
Recording video = no sound picked up
Voice Memos = no sound picked up

The iPad Pro is brand new, roughly 2 weeks out of the box...

Everything works with AirPods or Beats attached

Last edited:

BF1M

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2018
So two hours with Apple on the phone and they swear it’s a hardware issue. Doesn’t make sense to me that it would work here but not there.

Should be mid September before I can get a replacement. I’m still within the 14 day period I found out but the apple store here has none in stock of course.

erichui84

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2016
does sound like a microphone failed to me.. don't know about iPad but on my iPhone X that was more than 2 years old, 1 day my hey siri decided to stop working and all my other features like phone calls and pressing button for siri works, then later I discovered there is 2 microphone on the iphone x, 1 built onto the notch up the top and the other in bottom of the device.

I only found out my microphone on the top notch wasn't working properly because I was told to try and record video using the self facing camera and there is only little sound being picked up. So I ended up cleaning it with some alcohol and its been working fine after.

Now for your case if recording video (have you tried doing both front facing camera and the rear camera?) and voice memos have no sound at all then it does sound like hardware failure.

BF1M

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2018
Yea so video front and back don’t record sound, Siri via button press is hit and miss(my guess it’s using a different mic or combo of mics each time) Voice Memos and any app that uses the mic like Notability or YouTube result in nothing.

I can get it to work for FaceTime, calls via iPad and dictation. Hey Siri works every time and can hear every word.

I’m super annoyed at this. Still within 14 day period and I’m going to be without an iPad for 6 weeks at best.

erichui84

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2016
what about other stores? Do they have it in stock? Maybe you could return it and buy it from somewhere else?

BF1M

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2018
Two Apple Stores within 90 mins of me and neither will have any until mid August, start of September according to their estimates. Heck, the next appointment with Genius Bar isn’t until next Monday.

I mean in the big picture of 2020 this isn’t anything but it does bother me. Just pure luck I didn’t notice it sooner.

BF1M

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2018
So I had to argue until I was blue in the face but I got verizon to agree to return it with no restocking fee. Ordered a new one which wasn’t to ship until 29JUL20 at the earliest but got shipping info already so I guess I got lucky.

Apple was less than useful but the misunderstanding was on my part a bit. I figured I could return it to them and not the cell provider. After I was told I couldn’t I wanted Apple to just fix it, which is in their power, and they still dragged their heels. I didn’t want to pursue Verizon because I didn’t keep the box(who does?) and they wanted to intitially charge me 100 dollar fee because it was a voluntary return and not dead on arrival. I was able to convince them in person otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.