Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
It did seem a bit too obvious a name, but then Nick Parkers comments "Of this Modern OS—and, yes, it’s both “Modern OS” and “a modern OS”—Parker says...." got me wondering :)

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
So, Windows RT ver 3, or Windows 10S 2.
At least Microsoft recognized the need of a new name instead of using the Windows brand.

Reactions: SDColorado

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Is ModernOS *really* going to be the release name?

"In an otherwise innocuous blog post about new PCs announce at Computex, Microsoft talked up the need for something it calls Modern OS. And it does not appear to be Windows 10."

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...xhyLGNXPJO9n7uuBaMFx2XbrZ8cXvQ&_hsmi=73149210
This is Microsoft we're talking about so who knows?! :confused::D

It wouldn't surprise me since they changed the name of the UI framework from "Metro" to "Modern".

Ultimately, this is nothing more than a branding and marketing exercise. It'll still be Windows 10 with all of the good, bad, and ugly that goes along with it.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
This is Microsoft we're talking about so who knows?! :confused::D

It wouldn't surprise me since they changed the name of the UI framework from "Metro" to "Modern".

Ultimately, this is nothing more than a branding and marketing exercise. It'll still be Windows 10 with all of the good, bad, and ugly that goes along with it.

I guess I am optimistically hopeful that it is not the case, but you may be correct :)

Reactions: Queen6 and sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I guess I am optimistically hopeful that it is not the case, but you may be correct :)
I completely understand. That is what Microsoft wants people to think... that "the next thing..." is something new and exciting. The reality of what they deliver is a minor tweak. During my career at IBM, I interacted with Microsoft and I got to know the corporate culture there. Even though Nadella has put a new outward face on the company, deep down in the bowels of the company, things aren't much different than what I observed.

For example: Win 10S was touted to be the Chrome OS killer... it was going to be super lean and mean... stripped of excess bulk and limited to download apps from the app store. In reality, it had all of the bloat of Windows Home but simply restricted where it could install apps from.

I said at the time it was going to be DOA... because they didn't do anything substantive to make it truly different. This "Modern OS" will be no different.

Reactions: kazmac

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
MS is doing a lot of things right, but in some, they are so far behind their competition it's not even funny. Why don't they work on integrating Android with Win10 more? What they have now is like a alpha product that doesn't do much at all.

For example, on my linux part I have GSConnect installed and on Android phone I have KDE Connect. Without any tinkering or modifying anything at all, I can use SMS on my X1E, Whatsapp as well. I get phone call notifications, and my two devices even share clipboard, so I can copy some text on one device, and paste on another. Just like iPhone + Mac combo.

If some linux devs made such great utility in their own home over the weekend, why doesn't MS do the same?
MS still doesn't understand that people love their phones, and more you integrate windows with their phone, they will like and use windows even more.

It's not a perfect ecosystem by no means, since MS doesn't own Android. But it would be beneficial for MS to do it as well.

Instead they waste time, money and resources into projects like WinRT.

Reactions: Queen6

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I'm following a writer on twitter who tests linux and laptops, everyday there are at least 3 post about different distros and terminal steps that seem overbearing and not needed. my plan was to install unbuntu on the new laptop the minute that sat on my desk for the first time, but i decided to give windows a try, and happy i did.

Obviously, i want to keep up with info and tips so i visit PC websites and read about new OS names that Microsoft said were merely rumors. perhaps this modern OS might be the case?

Queen6

macrumors G4
Reactions: z970

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hence why I'm looking ever more to Linux, as I want control over the computing environment, not Microsoft or Apple.

Q-6
There is certainly an allure to linux, but overall for my needs the lack of specific apps is a deal breaker. I may try again on my X1E, or spare laptop that I have lying around. If I were to move over, I would need a windows instance in a vm. That seems counter productive, why bother doing that when I'll just run windows natively ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Queen6

macrumors G4
There is certainly an allure to linux, but overall for my needs the lack of specific apps is a deal breaker. I may try again on my X1E, or spare laptop that I have lying around. If I were to move over, I would need a windows instance in a vm. That seems counter productive, why bother doing that when I'll just run windows natively ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Right now mostly a lot of reading and viewing to identify the best distro, KDE Neon is a strong contender as is Manjaro with KDE or XFCE amongst many :p The other factor is the hardware as I'm looking to not loose any features which can be easier said than done with Linux and notebooks.

I'm not looking to drop Windows, certainly not in the short to midterm, however I'd like to have a system on a separate OS as I do see value in it, previously OS X & Windows.

Q-6

Reactions: sracer and maflynn

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013

In your case, switching to Linux isn't really an option. Only if you can run your remote app via wine, but if that isn't possible, well, Linux simply isn't for you.

As far as I go, well, I'm starting to like my linux experience way more then I like Mac OS. Sure, Mac OS has advantages that everything just works. Not mantra in my case, everything does work. And it works like a charm. At least software wise.

But in Linux I get to tailor OS for my own needs. I have custom shortcuts set in place, I can open my entire workflow with just one shortcut, close it the same way, and then open up 'fun' apps (browser with youtube, music, etc.).

In rare occasions I need to do some graphic work, I switch to Affinity on Windows. But I'm not an artist, so I rarely need those apps. Linux is on 98% of the time in my use case scenario. And frankly, I love it.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Microsoft released Windows 10 with a lot of hype as the "last version of Windows".

Hopefully this 'Modern OS' will be built on Linux and will be the successor we always wanted.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hopefully this 'Modern OS' will be built on Linux and will be the successor we always wanted.
I'd be very surprised if they do that, I think they'll use their own kernel and as others posted, it will be basically windows RT release 2

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Interesting Microsoft is trying again with a Windows RT type device. I suppose this is as a Chromebook competitor?

Can't Windows 10 just be that?

DarthVader!

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2013
Mustafar
Can't Windows 10 just be that?
From what I've read, MS wants a a fresh start without the amount of legacy code that has hindered them over the years. A new OS geared towards modern usage. I'm not sure if they can achieve that goal but that's what they're shooting for

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.