Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Axegrinder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Preston
This article questions Microsoft's motives for introducing DRM into Vista and the effect it could have on other platforms such as Mac and Linux.

This is something I've thought about since I first heard about Vista and its DRM controls. I'm worried that eventually Apple (whether forced or otherwise) will do the same and we, the consumer, will have no where left to go.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-Axegrinder

I feel this may be what prompted the timing of Steve Jobs note last week that's got the industry in a tizzy.

If I were to go on a limb, I'd say that DRM will go away. Online-bought songs have the same copyright protections at store-bought CDs. And like CDs (tapes, 8-tracks, LPs ect.) if someone wants to, they should be able to ask for a receipt, proving purchase.

In fact, online purchases should be easier as the receipts are electronic - and harder to lose.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think the issue of whether Microsoft can tell the entertainment industry to screw off is more complicated than the dominance of Windows. Microsoft has to look broadly at its ability to deploy entertainment content to a number of spheres in which it plays but does not dominate -- the video game / budding home media area, in which the 360 is a strong contender but is no MS Windows, the Zune, Windows Mobile smart devices. Microsoft needs a good relationship with the entertainment industry in order to be hope to exercise control over these emerging areas by dictating the path technology takes.

Those are big stakes.... both Microsoft and Apple are playing this game in a way that tries to give them prolonged privileged access to the market -- but too their credit, they are also at least trying to build a future, rather than resist one, as the entertainment industry does.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
I remember posting on this forum quite a while ago that DRM was the biggest threat there is to the future of the Mac platform, and nobody seemed to agree. Since then, the situation has only got worse. The web is starting to be flooded with commercial video download services, almost none of which (apart from Apple's own iTunes) will work on a Mac. The reason? The aggressive push of Microsoft's WMV.

And you can't answer "just use iTunes" because:
1. It is available only in the USA
2. The alternatives that are shut off to Mac users are often cheaper or free (several TV channels in the UK now offer their own programmes for download; Sky Movies customers can download from the internet; BBC is about to introduce 'iPlayer'.... the list goes on.)

The big problem is not the lack of availability itself, but the way it puts off switchers. When they try to use a service and find that they can't, it reinforces the old "Mac's aren't compatible" stereotype.

Video DRM is a big, big stick for Microsoft to beat Apple with. Most people have interpreted Steve's Open Letter as being only about music DRM; reading between the lines, I think he's realised that iTunes can't achieve the same near-monopoly on video as it has on music. He's trying to use his muscle on the music side to encourage all DRM to be abandoned. It's not just about iTunes; ultimately, it's about the Mac.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
This DRM discussion suddenly reminds me of a quote from Star Wars.

"The More You Tighten Your Grip, The More Systems Will Slip Through Your Fingers." -Princess Lea

All the snarling and vitriol regarding Jobs letter is evidence the timing is finally right.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
All the snarling and vitriol regarding Jobs letter is evidence the timing is finally right.

I hope I didn't come across as vitriolic towards the letter? I happen to agree with it 100%. I just think there are more reasons why scrapping DRM is in Apple's interests than are typically discussed.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
2. The alternatives that are shut off to Mac users are often cheaper or free (several TV channels in the UK now offer their own programmes for download; Sky Movies customers can download from the internet; BBC is about to introduce 'iPlayer'.... the list goes on.)

As a BBC license fee payer, and a Sky subscriber, the lack of Mac support for both on demand services absolutely kills me.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I remember posting on this forum quite a while ago that DRM was the biggest threat there is to the future of the Mac platform, and nobody seemed to agree. Since then, the situation has only got worse. The web is starting to be flooded with commercial video download services, almost none of which (apart from Apple's own iTunes) will work on a Mac. The reason? The aggressive push of Microsoft's WMV.

That and apple refusing to let others use there fairplay DRM. Being very closed about it is now slowly starting to backfire on apple and by the time they are willing to open it up it could easily be to late.

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
-Rodimus Prime

Who's open about their DRM scheme?

Exactly, why waste all the hard work and effort and then turn around and hand it over to someone else?

DRM is another mechanism in the monopolistic control that Microsoft so desires.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
-Rodimus Prime

Who's open about their DRM scheme?

let me put it another way. Apple refused to allow any one else to use fair play but them.

M$ is willing to let others use their DRM. So now with m$ entering the picture some one new wants DRM on their stuff m$ is really the only choice to go to. If what fear happens and apple get pretty badly screwed Apple has really no one to blame but themselves. It was them being closed to allowing others to use it that cause it to happen. if apple was willing to let others use fair play I can promise you m$ would have a lot more trouble moving in but right now apple is making is REALLY easy 2 do it and apple will be losing control over that market at an exponential rate.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
let me put it another way. Apple refused to allow any one else to use fair play but them.

-Rodimus Prime

Ah. Your point is valid. Yes, MS licensed their DRM scheme years ago. And it is indeed a risk for Apple to have kept it to themselves.

However, it appears to have worked this time around.

I guess history is still unfolding. I for one, like Apple's approach - not for the FairPlay, but for the fact that that items purchased from iTMS the only place they put DRM, unlik MS.

It appears that MS is hoping their DRM of everything will appease the entertainment industry well enough that they cancel Apple licenses.

Unfortunately for MS, those big industry heavyweights seem poised on the edge of a cliff. Apple changed the Music supply chain permanently, there is no need for them.

As a content creator myself, I'd much rather license to Apple, then to have five layers of middle men.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.