Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Interesting, though they still have to face a antitrust suit, it does appear that a major obstacle was removed. There's still the UK but I can see MS doing some sort of action to isolate the UK

They can close without approval from the UK, because unlike Apple Microsoft can actually leave the UK, or continue to do business there but with concessions such as a different version of Game Pass only for UK. The US and EU were the big hurdles, hurdles that are now gone.

Congrats Microsoft!

I wonder if Sony would be willing to try to buy Take Two interactive...

They can't. They blew their budget overpaying for Bungie lmao

Until they decide they have enough carrots to get people into the Microsoft Store instead. Imagine, Minecraft, Diablo V, Elder Scrolls VI, all only available on the Microsoft store but don't worry it will work on your Asus ROG Ally 4 with Windows 12 Xbox Edition or whatever...

They tried to get people on the Microsoft Store before, but ultimately failed. Plus they don't need to anymore, they already have their Microsoft Store carrot, it's called Game Pass for PC.

So buy on Steam if you wanna play on Steam Deck, or buy on Microsoft Store if you want Microsoft ecosystem functionality or are a Game Pass subscriber.

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
They tried to get people on the Microsoft Store before, but ultimately failed. Plus they don't need to anymore, they already have their Microsoft Store carrot, it's called Game Pass for PC.

So buy on Steam if you wanna play on Steam Deck, or buy on Microsoft Store if you want Microsoft ecosystem functionality or are a Game Pass subscriber.
Yes but they didn't have Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Diablo, Starcraft, Call of Duty, etc., last time they tried. Especially new versions. Halo and Forza only go so far especially on PC.

Steam Deck is a threat to MS, especially if other handheld manufacturers release devices with Steam OS instead of Windows.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
So how much money would Sony and MS lose if Sony pulled Activisions license to sell CoD on Playstation (knowing MS is in 3rd place in console sales).

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Yes but they didn't have Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Diablo, Starcraft, Call of Duty, etc., last time they tried. Especially new versions. Halo and Forza only go so far especially on PC.

Steam Deck is a threat to MS, especially if other handheld manufacturers release devices with Steam OS instead of Windows.

No it isn't lmao. Windows is still the dominant PC OS especially for games and a lot of multiplayer games don't work on SteamOS due to anticheat, which is why the Steam Deck has the ability to dualboot Windows should the user choose (even though Windows is terrible on handhelds so unless you really like CoD there's no reason to install Windows)

Handheld PCs are a different market entirely from desktops and notebooks. They're designed purely for games and niche use cases that would require that form factor, like UCLA using a Steam Deck to control their robots, or the Ukrainian Army using Decks to control remote operated turrets

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA

The Federal Trade Commission on Thursday filed its appeal of a federal judge’s decision earlier this week allowing Microsoft to close its $69 billion merger with Activision Blizzard.

The legal filing comes after the FTC’s failed effort to block the deal over allegations that the merger would harm competition by giving Microsoft (MSFT) exclusive control over major video game titles such as “Call of Duty.”

US District Judge Jacqueline Scott Corley said Tuesday she will not block Microsoft from closing the deal as the FTC had asked.

The FTC had asked for a preliminary injunction while a separate legal challenge to the merger unfolds in the agency’s in-house administrative court.

Tuesday’s decision paved the way for Microsoft to potentially finalize the deal with Activision in a matter of days, ahead of a July 18 contractual deadline. Alternatively, the companies could mutually seek to extend that timeframe.

Consummating the deal would turn Microsoft into the third largest video game publisher in the world, after Tencent and Sony.

On Tuesday, Corley wrote in her opinion that the US government had “not shown it is likely to succeed on its assertion the combined firm will probably pull Call of Duty from Sony PlayStation, or that its ownership of Activision content will substantially lessen competition in the video game library subscription and cloud gaming markets.”

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA

Microsoft Corp. and Activision Blizzard Inc. are considering giving up some control of their cloud-gaming business in the UK as a way to appease regulators so they can complete their $69 billion merger by the July 18 deadline, according to people familiar with the matter.

That could involve selling off the cloud-based market rights for games in the UK to a telecommunications, gaming or internet-based computing company, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing confidential planning. A private equity company might also be interested, said one person.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Does anyone even use cloud gaming in the UK?

Cloud gaming is aimed at developing countries like India who cannot afford a console or a gaming PC.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Does anyone even use cloud gaming in the UK?

Cloud gaming is aimed at developing countries like India who cannot afford a console or a gaming PC.
Cloud gaming is for folks that can't afford to upgrade their computers to play the latest game, or folks that want to play those games on hardware that can't run it normally. Or at least that is what MS tells folks with respect to xCloud.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Cloud gaming is for folks that can't afford to upgrade their computers to play the latest game, or folks that want to play those games on hardware that can't run it normally. Or at least that is what MS tells folks with respect to xCloud.

Microsoft is aiming cloud gaming at developing countries, not countries like the UK.

People in the USA, UK and Europe are not playing games in the cloud. It is totally insignificant market share.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Whatever it takes to get Activision Blizzard on new leadership, I am happy with. So I am happy this finally went through. I was/still am for a bit boycotting Activision/Blizzard due to issues under their current leadership.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Microsoft is aiming cloud gaming at developing countries, not countries like the UK.

People in the USA, UK and Europe are not playing games in the cloud. It is totally insignificant market share.
Plus the internet infrastructure in a lot of the US still SUCKS. I have Gigabit through Spectrum and even cloud gaming has issues. I wish I could get fiber but I can't. Only have Spectrum as a choice. I am seriously sick of the 1Gbps down / 20 Mbps up mindset. And at most I can only get 850 Mbps down, and 17 Mbps up.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
With the new Microsoft take over, it is now rumoured that Starcraft 3 is under development.

If Microsoft didn’t buy Blizzard, Blizzard would turn to mobile games as Diablo Immortal made them alot of money for very little effort.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Plus the internet infrastructure in a lot of the US still SUCKS. I have Gigabit through Spectrum and even cloud gaming has issues. I wish I could get fiber but I can't. Only have Spectrum as a choice. I am seriously sick of the 1Gbps down / 20 Mbps up mindset. And at most I can only get 850 Mbps down, and 17 Mbps up.
That sounds like a first world complaint, as someone that can only get DSL having gigabit at all would be fantastic.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
With the new Microsoft take over, it is now rumoured that Starcraft 3 is under development.

If Microsoft didn’t buy Blizzard, Blizzard would turn to mobile games as Diablo Immortal made them alot of money for very little effort.
Free to play, pay to win!!

StarCraft 3 would be cool, though if MS runs Activision like they run Zenimax I would be more surprised. I think the whole industry is turning towards live service games where they can get a constant stream of money and not have to worry about new games every year.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA

Microsoft (MSFT) has signed an agreement with Sony (SNE) to ensure “Call of Duty” remains available on PlayStation after Microsoft closes its $69 billion Activision Blizzard (ATVI) merger, the tech giant said Sunday.

The agreement could resolve long-standing complaints by Sony that the merger — which aims to make Microsoft the third-largest video game publisher in the world — threatens competition. Sony didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

“We are pleased to announce that Microsoft and @playstation have signed a binding agreement to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation following the acquisition of Activision Blizzard,” said Phil Spencer, Microsoft’s Xbox head, in a tweet. “We look forward to a future where players globally have more choice to play their favorite games.”

Sony had been among the loudest critics of the acquisition. Addressing the company’s concerns about the continued availability of “Call of Duty,” one of the industry’s most popular franchises, could help Microsoft overcome any remaining opposition to the deal and usher it to a conclusion.

In response to competition concerns from regulators around the world, Microsoft had already signed multiyear licensing agreements with rival companies including Nintendo and Nvidia, among others, to ensure Microsoft would not be able to restrict Activision titles from users of those businesses’ platforms and consoles.

On Sunday, Microsoft did not disclose the duration of the agreement with Sony.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
That sounds like a first world complaint, as someone that can only get DSL having gigabit at all would be fantastic.
??? Why must everything turn into an argument. I am saying with Gigabit internet through Spectrum even, that Cloud Gaming has serious issues. That is all. That is the topic at hand, not dealing with internet in third world.

And you are making my point for me, people are far less fortunate than me, with Gigabit internet and STILL suffers from poor experience from cloud gaming. This is why it won't take off.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
??? Why must everything turn into an argument. I am saying with Gigabit internet through Spectrum even, that Cloud Gaming has serious issues. That is all. That is the topic at hand, not dealing with internet in third world.

And you are making my point for me, people are far less fortunate than me, with Gigabit internet and STILL suffers from poor experience from cloud gaming. This is why it won't take off.
Not meant to be an argument. Cloud gaming is more latency sensitive than bandwidth sensitive, no?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
In the case of MS and the EU/UK, I suspect dropping xCloud from their "control" in that territory will appease the regulators. Now I dunno how that would impact Microsofts end goal of getting out of the hardware game.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

Microsoft (MSFT) has signed an agreement with Sony (SNE) to ensure “Call of Duty” remains available on PlayStation after Microsoft closes its $69 billion Activision Blizzard (ATVI) merger, the tech giant said Sunday.

The agreement could resolve long-standing complaints by Sony that the merger — which aims to make Microsoft the third-largest video game publisher in the world — threatens competition. Sony didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

“We are pleased to announce that Microsoft and @playstation have signed a binding agreement to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation following the acquisition of Activision Blizzard,” said Phil Spencer, Microsoft’s Xbox head, in a tweet. “We look forward to a future where players globally have more choice to play their favorite games.”

Sony had been among the loudest critics of the acquisition. Addressing the company’s concerns about the continued availability of “Call of Duty,” one of the industry’s most popular franchises, could help Microsoft overcome any remaining opposition to the deal and usher it to a conclusion.

In response to competition concerns from regulators around the world, Microsoft had already signed multiyear licensing agreements with rival companies including Nintendo and Nvidia, among others, to ensure Microsoft would not be able to restrict Activision titles from users of those businesses’ platforms and consoles.

On Sunday, Microsoft did not disclose the duration of the agreement with Sony.
I wonder if Sony will let MS in on it's next gen hardware plans, just so the CoD can stay on PS. Has there been precedence for a console maker to let a competitor console maker know what their future hardware plans are?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Court denies FTC’s last-ditch attempt to stop Microsoft buying Activision Blizzard

This means Microsoft is now free to close its Activision Blizzard deal after a temporary restraining order, part of Judge Corley’s order, expires at 11:59PM PT tonight. Microsoft has until July 18th to close its deal;

Basically the original injunction preventing the merger expired on 07/14 and the FTC attempted to place a new injunction. With only today and tomorrow to complete the merger the lawyers have their work cutout. If there's stacks of paperwork to buy a house, can you imagine the amount of forms/contracts/paperwork needed for something of this magnitude.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Court denies FTC’s last-ditch attempt to stop Microsoft buying Activision Blizzard

Basically the original injunction preventing the merger expired on 07/14 and the FTC attempted to place a new injunction. With only today and tomorrow to complete the merger the lawyers have their work cutout. If there's stacks of paperwork to buy a house, can you imagine the amount of forms/contracts/paperwork needed for something of this magnitude.
The deal is getting closed....

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Ah, I was thinking more about how the FTC isn't going to get their way and have lost a lot of face on this.
They will get their day in court, next month as that lawsuit is still moving forward, but at that point there will be no way to un-make the omelet (so to speak). The purchase will be completed and for intents and purposes Blizzard will be no more (as a stand alone company). The judge already said the FTC is highly unlikely to prevail in that court case anyways.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
They will get their day in court, next month as that lawsuit is still moving forward, but at that point there will be no way to un-make the omelet (so to speak). The purchase will be completed and for intents and purposes Blizzard will be no more (as a stand alone company). The judge already said the FTC is highly unlikely to prevail in that court case anyways.
They could be forced to sell "Blizzard" the development studio off. Not sure if they would get to keep the IP though. Not that the FTC will win that case either (as you said).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.