Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
This is very off-topic, but dantec, I saw you are in need of a 'tar.

Will this do? :)

Attachments

• chbig.gif
    chbig.gif
    1 KB · Views: 386

Chisholm

macrumors regular
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Originally posted by chrisfx811
stillman i agree with alot what u said. as for the debate on the controller... i think the ps2 has become the standard because the ps1 dominated the console market for 4 or 5 years. i do agree that it has a great button layout and is more suited to fit into a wide variety of gamers hands. i think the first xbox controller was too focussed on their target market of young adults age 16-30, mostly males who tend to have bigger hands. i think they did a decent job of remedying the situation with the "s" version although i would have liked a more direct copy of the japanese version, cuz i still feel the start and select buttons are in a silly place now. as for the nintendo controller...if you like sports games don't even bother, the button pad is not symmetrical and lends itself better to action/rpg/vehicular games that forcus on a primary action button with other buttons being secondary. there controller seems to be to specific for the types of games they produce and focus on and not very friendly towards a variety of genres, not to mention the cheap plastic feel of it.
as for ps2's reliability, my brother has replaced his, but luckily he purchased a replacement guarantee from eb, so it was no charge. thus far (knock on wood) my xbox has not had any probs yet. and i really don't think making the gamecube an all in one type machine is that great of an idea. it was made small for a reason and if you stick too much add on technology into it i think it will affect performance. what sounds better an all-in-one stereo or a component system? microsoft would gain more respect by producing better first party games to gather a strong following, but that's not their forte right now, so i think they are doing the only other thing they know how to do... buy them! do you guys remeember sony's first party sports games from 989 studios?? those things suck more than my $750 vacuum cleaner! the reality of future game development is we will see many more cross-platform games and a select few exclusive blockbusters. nintendo makes their own, microsoft buys theirs, and sony leverages their huge market share and tosses ad $$$ to the developers. unfortunately for us, sony's technology in the ps2 is pretty tapped out, so if the other consoles gain market share, cross-platform games will not always be created equal. t.v. programming is always the same, but i still have an hdtv cuz it looks better in my living room , same goes for my choice of getting an xbox primarily. although, with the new gta3 i will probably be giving the ps2 some extra attention this year

:eek: Dude! You paid $750 for a vacuum???

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Do you think, my friends PS2 maybe fried itself, cause he has one of those huge, Philipps plasma tv's ? I have no knowledge of how tv's work, so does anyone know if they can change resolution, between what content (sat, cable, vcr, dvd & PS2) ?

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by AmigaMac
The Xbox was dead on arrival anyways... it will live the same ultimate demise as the NEC TurboGrafix 16, the Panasonic 3DO, the Atari Jaguar and the Sega Dreamcast!

1stly, how was Xbox dead on arrival... ****LOADS have been sold, esp. since M$ is trying their hardest to buy all the greatest games and game makers.

2ndly, there is no way in the world that you can put the DreamCast in the same sentance as the TurboGrafix 16 and 3DO.

The DreamCast was a HUGE machine but its primary market was Japan do to the very arcade nature of Sega. Sega has always made consoles for real gamers where as, to use the age old competition, Nintendo was more for those who actually thought graphics were important. I think the latter of that sentance also goes for M$... they have the people that look at a screen and say "how pretty".

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Stillman
Firstly Nintendo is nothing like Sega. As a business, Nintendo has always outperformed Sega even in the 16-bits days, even when Sega outsold them they made more profit. For three years now, Nintendo has topped Nikkei as the best performing company. Sega had two consecutive failures - Saturn and Dreamcast, they are forced to exit the hardware market. Nintendo, on the otherhand, makes more profit from games than even Sony, Microsoft and EA. I do not see any reason that would push Nintendo to change their current business model.

I really don't think too many people actually know much about the way Sega worked and their sector of the market.

Neither the Saturn nor the DreamCast were failures as consoles only, IMO, failures from a marketing perspective.

If you analyse the situation, Ninteno more understood how to make money where as Sega has ALWAYS known how to be the best and push forward technology.

While Nintendo people where still playing Mario on their 16-bit SNES, Sega people were playing games like Doom in 32-bit via the 32-bit adaptor. Then the Sega people got stuck into CDs on their MegaCD or MegaDrive2/MegaCD2 pack. Then, still while Nintendo people where on their SNES, Sega people were playing Saturn. It was only after this time that the Nintendo 64 vs. Sega Saturn vs. Sony Playstation competition emerged. I would also like to point out that the Playstation 1 is still only a 32-bit console which set them pretty far back as a cutting edge machine. Saying this, before the PS1 really got big, the fact that Sony was using a lot of old technology would have paid for their heavy marketing campaign.

Now, from the business/marketing point of view of Sega, I think the 32-bit adaptor and the Saturn were 2 machines they should have left out. This would have given far more resources for developing a better DreamCast, which they would have had on the maket earlier, setting it up as the only competition in their range for the Nintendo 64 and creating a bigger demand like the Nintendo 64 had over the SNES.

Marketing really can make or break a product/company and I think Sega really needed their own Steve Jobs to keep them in the console arena.

I just wish I could buy Crazy Taxi 3 for my DreamCast
:(

gilligan

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2002
Illinois
Re: Re: Microsoft is assuring that the Xbox will die a quick death

Originally posted by dukestreet

considering that the 'mods' are just for using illeagally copied games, I can't see this being all that surprising. And I'm sure its just a matter of time before someone comes out with something that bypasses these fixes....

D

I have an xbox, and I really love it. I wish I had a mod chip because I can't play burned DVDs or burned CDs. They're not illegal...

So you guys know (and I'll repeat this later in the posts), I don't have any complaints about my xbox. Actually, for the price, it's a lot better than any computer you could buy. (for games, of course)

gilligan

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2002
Illinois
Re: its so funny

Originally posted by Soma_Addict
i find it extremely comical whenever an Xboxer defends their system of choice with only one game. two if you count the sequel. it is like saying that a band is very good although they are only a one hit wonder. a one hit wonder that bought another band so that they could have exclusive rights.

paying a ton of money for other peoples creative efforts does not sound like a solid business practice to me.

get a life. stop making fun of other people because they like certain things that you arbitrarily don't like. I actually don't like halo very much, and I still love my xbox. I don't need to defend it with anything... it's just an opinion.

So you disapprove of microsoft buying people to make their games. wooo. at least they're trying to do SOMETHING... it would be soooo boring if there were only 2 popular video game systems out there.

consider this: how many xboxes do you think have sold in the last year?

now consider this: how many macintosh computers have sold in the last year?

yikes... ... look everybody it's "dead on arrival".

ha!

gilligan

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2002
Illinois
Originally posted by BongHits
you'd be hard pressed to find a better (more profitable) business model than MS...the only company making more money is the Saudi Arabian Princes oil company, and that's just because the US (wealthiest nation) is nearly 100% dependant on oil from this region (i realize their is oil in alaska and venezuela, but not nearly as much.)

What? Take an economics course before you start spilling your assumptions all over the board!

there are at least hundreds of other buisnesses making as much, if not more money than microsoft.

Hey... did you know that almost ALL of the oil harvested in Alaska the US is NOT USED BY THE US?

Ha... who would have guessed?

And we really aren't 100 percent dependent on oil... we just choose to use the stuff because it's easier than making adjustments to other fuels. Just wait... when we run out of oil it'll only be a year or two before we've made a 90% recovery on other fuels.

Did you know that you can make deisel out of waste plastic? You can. Did you know that you can make deisel out of soybeans? You can. Did you know that many cars could be re-jetted to run on ethanol, which comes from corn? they can.

gilligan

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2002
Illinois
Re: DAMN M$ to HELL

Originally posted by AssassinOfGates
In case you havent heard, Halo is comming to mac, so its worth the wait, especially since Bungie originated on Mac. Shame M$ bought it. And shame that M$ bought RAREware. Damn now GC wont get Perfect Dark 2 or any other RARE games after starfox and donkeykong. Instead, they will be brought to Xbox, just like DOA3 and halo was. Im seeing another anti-competetion trend here, and I hope the DOJ can get up off their corrupt asses and actually prevent yet another monopoly in the making.

Oh.. gee... you must be right. I mean... hell... it'll really be worth waiting another 6 months to play a game that I could be playing right now on a console that costs 400 bucks rather than a computer that costs (at least) 1600. Way to go, short bus.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Re: DAMN M$ to HELL

Originally posted by gilligan

Oh.. gee... you must be right. I mean... hell... it'll really be worth waiting another 6 months to play a game that I could be playing right now on a console that costs 400 bucks rather than a computer that costs (at least) 1600. Way to go, short bus.

Interesting, your location suggests you are in the US but your pricing says Australia.

Xbox is about $200 in the US and $400 in Australia (exchange = $US0.55 to $AU1)

iMacs start at $799 in the US and $1795 in Australia.

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
Re: Re: Microsoft is assuring that the Xbox will die a quick death

Originally posted by dukestreet

considering that the 'mods' are just for using illeagally copied games, I can't see this being all that surprising. And I'm sure its just a matter of time before someone comes out with something that bypasses these fixes....

D

Um, not quite...
A lot of people want to turn them into routers :)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by BongHits
you'd be hard pressed to find a better (more profitable) business model than MS...the only company making more money is the Saudi Arabian Princes oil company, and that's just because the US (wealthiest nation) is nearly 100% dependant on oil from this region (i realize their is oil in alaska and venezuela, but not nearly as much.)

How is losing money on the sale of every XBox considered profitable???

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Here's the real MS business model

XBox is still in the "grow it until everything else dies" stage. There was a time when MS put real effort into making Office as good as it could be. Mac Word 5.1 was an example of that. Word for Windows 1.0 was, too. And Excel - any version. And PowerPoint. (Never MS Graph!). Then, once they had total market share, they could rely on throwing in tons of useless junk and VisualBasic, the latter so they could have a true monopoly - because a plain Word file is relatively easy to translate, but one with macros is durn near impossible to reproduce on open-source.

Anyhoo... here's some facts.

eweek wrote: "Microsoft plans to spend more than $3 billion over the next
three years on its Office productivity suite and aims to double annual revenue from Office to $20 billion by 2010."

So they make $10 billion per year now, and hey! They're going to INCREASE their investment to $1 billion per year for three years.

So their net profit, assuming no marketing or admin costs (etc.) ... $9 billion per year. Under the INCREASED expense model. I'd be generous and say they spend half of that for marketing, shipping, overhead, etc.

$4.5 billion net revenue per year from one product.

Not bad!

bunge

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2001
To those of you that were suggesting that the PS2 was already maxed out, there's an interview with a Capcom programmer about Devil May Cry 2 over at Gamespy. Earlier in the thread Devil May Cry was used as an example of some of the best visuals on the PS2, but in the interview the interviewee claims they've doubled the resolution in the sequel.

It's probably safe to assume that the PS2 is still progressing very nicely.

bunton

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Chicago, Illinois
NINTENDO

NINTENDO HAS ALWAYS REIGHNED SUPREME

NINTENDO the original was the best of its time

Super Nintendo was not a great improvement but was still beter than Sega

Nintendo 64 kicked ass even better than PS one

Now the cube is here and is way better than X-Box

diorio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2002
Re: NINTENDO

Originally posted by bunton

I personally like the super nintendo more tha you give it credit for, and I liked the PS one better than N64, but thats just my opinion.
And by the way chrisfx811, thats what your five fingered lover is for.
:rolleyes:

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Re: NINTENDO

Originally posted by bunton

HHhhmmm..... I thought this was a constuctive thread but if this is what it has come to:

SEGA ALWAYS REIGHNED SUPREME

SEGA MASTER SYSTEM 2 the original was the best of its time

MEGA DRIVE was a great improvement and was still beter than Nintendo

Nintendo 64 sucked ass even more than PS one

Now the cube is here and it is still as lagging on technology as all previous releases.

bunton

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Chicago, Illinois
I was talking about poo

Yeah I was ranking them as overall better system and company

Not what is faster or what had this game or how much bits or technology just when they arrived and what peopple liked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.