Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Yeah, we're busy, productive people! We can't be expected to spare the effort or that extra 1/10th of a second saying an extra syllable!

Also, the iPhone is too long a name to pronounce. Everyone keeps asking me what I've got, and I'm sitting here, wasting upwards of 15 seconds out of my day telling people I've got the iPhone 5S. That's 15 seconds I could be doing something else!

I suggest we all start calling it the "pha" instead. One syllable. Easy to remember. THAT'S MARKETING!

:friend points at iPhone:

"Wha got"?

"Pha".

"K".

you probably love typing in your 4 digit passcode every time.
you also probably type http:// manually
you also probably goto the edit menu to copy and edit menu again to paste
you also probably goto the menu to quit the app instead of pressing cmd + Q and file -> close tab instead of cmd + W
you also probably press "find next" manually instead of pressing cmd + G
you also probably move your mouse to the right side to manually pan the scrollbar instead of using multitouch on your trackpad

Last edited:

aggierob

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
Cortana, get me an app

Cortana, get me an app that...

Sorry, no one builds apps for me... I can search Bing for that... get you maps that are outdated by years...

The best is still a combination of Google and Apple. Here's to better cooperation and competition.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Not true. A personal computer is just that.

Great, a recursive definition, "an A is an A", true! It tells us nothing about the nature of A however. Can you explain why a personal computer is not a computer intended for personal use? If I have a mainframe in my garage and use it as my personal computer is that also then a PC?

Not sure if you are just trolling now or are getting out by doing the semantic equivalent of "hide a coin" magic trick. Regardless the definition is useless here, because the Mac vs PC commercial compares the Mac platform to the WinTel platform running Windows. It's unfortunate that the PC acronym was used by IBM to brand their platform because it leads to all sorts of confusion.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It doesn't matter who does it, I think people still have brains today, so we have the capability of remembering something as simple as "buy some flowers" when you go to a flower shop.
I've never used Siri to make a reminder. I've actually never used the reminders app because I use my brain.

Then it's useless to you.

But it does have value to people who use reminders.

Renzatic

Suspended
you probably love typing in your 4 digit passcode every time.
you also probably type http:// manually
you also probably goto the edit menu to copy and edit menu again to paste
you also probably goto the menu to quit the app instead of pressing cmd + Q and file -> close tab instead of cmd + W
you also probably press "find next" manually instead of pressing cmd + G
you also probably move your mouse to the right side to manually pan the scrollbar instead of using multitouch on your trackpad

Please. It's an extra syllable, which literally takes zero effort on your part to pronounce. Saying Cortana isn't any more difficult or time consuming to say than Siri.

Some people will complain just to have something to complain about, I swear.

xxmrcxx

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Siri is the worst. doesnt even give you a chance to think of what you wanna say while you are at it without being thrown off with gibberish

google now is more smooth in that area even tho i disabled both asap. no use for it as you end up spell checking and correcting stuff that takes longer than just typing it yourself

You can hold down the home button until you're finished talking to prevent Siri from doing anything. Either way though, Google Voice is far superior to Siri.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
That's the point... Siri requires you to know where a flower shop may be, and even then will only remind you to buy flowers as you're walking into the shop....

How, exactly, is that useful in the real world at all?

Being reminded to do something when you're about to drive by a shop, actually is useful, and exactly what many of us have been asking Apple for since Reminders first came out.

I think the bigger news is that it seems like someone at Microsoft has been reading macrumors.com comments and listening to us more than Apple has. Either that, or all my comments at apple.com/feedback get directed to an in-box at Microsoft?

Dunno about Microsoft listening in on MacRumors, but who knows. Samsung agents, as it is most certainly known, listens to MacRumors every day, in hopes of leapfrogging Apple every now and then.

<waves> Oh hello there Samsung spies! Have a nice day! :D

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
I don't get how you people seem to think that Google Now is better. It is faster for some things but it is also brain dead stupid for a lot of things as well like opening apps for some reason. Maybe I don't have the syntax right? But again, why should I have to memorize the right syntax?

I have tried the Google version on an Android Moto G for a while now I consider it inferior to Siri for a lot of tasks.

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
This comercial is a lie I can say, which I do, remind me when I arrive at Target, "Get Magnums!" and bam when I get to Target it lets me know to get my items! :eek:

Applefanhater

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2014
Yeah MS, you sold a lot of copies of HALO. Sales of that crappy FPS will directly translate to sales of a crappy phone.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Please. It's an extra syllable, which literally takes zero effort on your part to pronounce. Saying Cortana isn't any more difficult or time consuming to say than Siri.

well, you're complaining about what I'm complaining about. so there's that.

Renzatic

Suspended
well, you're complaining about what I'm complaining about. so there's that.

No, I'm complaining about you complaining, which makes me a complainer complainer, complaining about a topic people complain about because complaining is complaining when you're complaining. Complaining.

Yeah MS, you sold a lot of copies of HALO. Sales of that crappy FPS will directly translate to sales of a crappy phone.

Edgy.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
No, I'm complaining about you complaining, which makes me a complainer complainer, complaining about a topic people complain about because complaining is complaining when you're complaining. Complaining.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
The move to adapt cortana from halo as the Microsoft assistant is a brilliant one. Halo is an excellent franchise to appeals to the younger generation. Kind of like Beats ;)

I think you're overstating it quite a bit.

I have two gamers in my house, one 18 and one 11. Five or six years ago, they were excited about Halo. Now, it's old-hat and seems very boring and overplayed for them. And the last couple of Halo releases haven't made quite the splash that previous ones have. I think the franchise is played out.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
Microsoft Launches New Cortana vs. Siri Ad Showing Off Context-Aware Reminders

I have two gamers in my house, one 18 and one 11. Five or six years ago, they were excited about Halo. Now, it's old-hat and seems very boring and overplayed for them. And the last couple of Halo releases haven't made quite the splash that previous ones have. I think the franchise is played out.

I agree. Halo is played out. I guess MS is hoping that generation is attracted to the Cortana name for nostalgia.

While they're at it, they should start naming flagship phones after Halo characters.

Nokia Lumia Grunt
Nokia Lumia Elite
Nokia Lumia Ghost
Nokia Lumia Banshee
Nokia Lumia Warthog
Nokia Lumia Arbiter
Nokia Lumia Hierarch
etc...etc...

Last edited:

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Why doesn't he just call his wife to tell her Happy Anniversary? Why wait until she calls?

Well quite. But then maybe they're going through a messy divorce and he's under a court order preventing him from contacting his wife?

However, if the old bat calls him first, he wants to be sure to deliver a sarcastic, "Happy anniversary, honey" :p

Please. It's an extra syllable, which literally takes zero effort on your part to pronounce.

In all fairness, I think I might've started the extra syllable objection. Mea culpa.

But thinking about if further, it's not really the extra syllable that's my problem. It's the stuccato nature of "Cor-ta-na". It just doesn't roll off the tongue. It's ugly. (Sorry Cort. Nothing personal.)

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Its amazing how many people on here no nothing about what they are talking about. Even the ones that accept Microsoft/Cortana as a real competitor.

I have used all three "assistants" extensively, so let me educate some of you on what is true.

* For the most part, Cortana IS Jen Taylor's voice. Obviously some responses are digitized versions of her voice, but most of the interactive "Cortana specific" responses are Jen Taylor.

* Cortana works as EITHER a voice response by holding down the search button OR as a typed response by simply pressing the search button. Cortana IS Bing search in this sense as well as the other "assistant" functions one would expect from both Siri and Google Now.

* Cortana reviews all inputs/emails on your phone (similar to Google Now and sometimes with Siri) and provides detailed flight reminders, calendar reminders, when to leave for appointments, traffic updates, specific news updates, local event suggestions, places to eat, specific sport scores/updates, weather warnings....the list goes on and on... and it is all easily accessible by either looking at the Cortana live tile to see the latest updates or simply pressing on the tile to review all of the news and updates specific to you. Super helpful in the morning and I look at it all throughout the day for updates.

* Cortana is not only better at contextual understanding but can connect multiple sentences... it can answer a question AS WELL AS a follow up question related to the first question answered.

* Cortana has been out publicly for a week...A WEEK... and it easily beats Siri for relevant information. Not just when spoken to... it is really about all of the other stuff I listed above that makes it so seamless with your phone. Google Now does a pretty good job of this as well, but Sri is more about simple voice interaction and less about supplying a preset or suggested information based on you the user... you always have to ask! I just open the Cortana tile and all the info relevant to me based on where I am actually located at the moment are listed... it's freaky.

* Cortana btw was simply the code name Microsoft was using during development. They only kept it when users first heard that Jen Taylor was actually the voice and requested it stay as the full time name. It's relevant and nice for those that know it from Halo... if not relevant (to people like me that never heard of Cortana before), who cares? Is it any less relevant then a random name like Siri? And if it gets them a few fanboys to buy the phone because of it, again, who cares? Are some of you so stupid to think that MS named it Cortana thinking they would sell millions of phones because of the name? Please....

* Incorrectly stated by some earlier, Cortana is US only right now (although it can be utilized outside of the US simply by changing the region). UK and China Cortana are only RUMOURED to be available soon. No one except Microsoft knows which countries are next or when it will be released.

EDIT: Hah... released for China and UK as well as pre-opt in for Canada and India a few hours after I originally posted.

It's definitely not perfect or complete and there are certainly some things both Sri and Google Now do better than Cortana, but in comparing all three on the whole, Cortana is the clear winner in ease of use, intelligent interaction and provider of relevant user specific info.

Last edited:

Mirror Neuron

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2013
Wow a Smartphone

Really MS?

Attachments

• Nokia vs Apple.jpg
    Nokia vs Apple.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 55

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I agree. Halo is played out. I guess MS is hoping that generation is attracted to the Cortana name for nostalgia.

While they're at it, they should start naming flagship phones after Halo characters.

Nokia Lumia Grunt
Nokia Lumia Elite
Nokia Lumia Ghost
Nokia Lumia Banshee
Nokia Lumia Warthog
Nokia Lumia Arbiter
Nokia Lumia Hierarch
etc...etc...

Master chief ? ;)

----------

Really MS?

Ummmm your point. Microsoft and Nokia had no relationship In 2007

----------

Yeah but that goes for many games. Though your two gamers are very aware of halo and cortana ;) even though they may play the current games at the moment.

I guess I am talking from my own experience , when I heard Microsoft was coming out with an assistant and it was going to be cortana, I thought it was a brilliant move. Frankly I dislike using assistants, I just think that cortana is the best of them all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.