Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Can I stop paying and continue to use what I have had until then?
No.
Disqualified.

Excuse me, but this model of software purchasing doesn't suit everyone.
If it does for you, all power to you, really.
For me however, call me old-fashioned, but I can't stand it.
fair enough. But I was addressing the scenario you previously posed (ie. putting it on the shelf, installing it on any machine, etc.) If the response to those scenarios is irrelevant, then why raise them in the first place?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The better office tool iWork is for free, while the MS Office costs continuously... Why MS Office...

http://www.amazon.com/Office-365-Ho...TF8&qid=1409702397&sr=8-2&keywords=office+365

64$ per year with 1TB of storage (per user) and up to 5 users, and obviously Office.

Now let's see how much that would cost you on the Apple side.

iWork is free. $4 per month for 200GB on iCloud. Using simple math, that would definitely make getting 1TB a bit out of the price range there.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
http://www.amazon.com/Office-365-Ho...TF8&qid=1409702397&sr=8-2&keywords=office+365

64$ per year with 1TB of storage (per user) and up to 5 users, and obviously Office.

Now let's see how much that would cost you on the Apple side.

iWork is free. $4 per month for 200GB on iCloud. Using simple math, that would definitely make getting 1TB a bit out of the price range there.

If anyone reaches the 1TB limit of Office documents, please let me know. You'll be first in the world.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I have no problems with subscription-based software as long as I'm not locked away from my data if I stop paying. I know that's wishful thinking, but with the proper design, it can be done, even if it was read-only mode.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
If anyone reaches the 1TB limit of Office documents, please let me know. You'll be first in the world.
Nonsensical statement really.
As I'm sure you well know, it's not just for Office docs. You can store anything you like on OneDrive - movies, photos, anything. Move your entire 1Tb internal drive if you like.

sjdigital

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2008
The Caucasus
I'm not often moved to comment on threads like this but this strikes me as incredibly good value. I've just signed up and will be cancelling my Dropbox subscription just as soon as I transfer everything over to Onedrive. For the same price per month as Dropbox I get another 4 TBs of storage for my family plus the full version of Office for all of us on our iPads and computers as well.

And while I have used many of the iPad alternatives to Office, none of them actually handle documents as well as Word does when it comes to comments and track changes. So having Word on my iPad is a real bonus as all of my work colleagues use it - it is the de facto standard whether we like it or not.

Cybbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Any mention of subscription and I'm gone. I'll pay for a one-time charge license that lasts for as as long as I decide to maintain a computer that will run it.

How much do you pay for your subscription-subsidized iPhone per month, or did you pay for an off-contract phone? Just trying to figure out how principled you really are in purchase policy.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Make no mistake. Subscription-based software is emerging as an unanticipated consequence of the internet. I don’t know which is worse, the internet as breeding ground of international terrorism, or the internet allowing Adobe and Microsoft to commence subscription services to the detriment of user’s pocketbooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.