Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrandCiel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2019
Microsoft Office Home and Business 2021 1 use perpetual license.

Installing Microsoft software on either macOS or Windows always seems to be a pain. It seems like Microsoft is trying to force 365 on users. I don't want any hint of 365 on my laptop. Microsoft seems to push 365 options even if all I want is the product I purchased. I purchased the Office 2021 key, went to the listed URL to download, entered the license key and downloaded the installer on my new M2 Max MacBook Pro. It would not install, not supported OS.

I went to my Microsoft services page and Office 2021 was included in my list. I downloaded from the provided Install link and installed it but it installed 365. After an hour nine minutes on hold with Microsoft I gave up.

Tried again today via chat after uninstalling every Microsoft file and removed all licenses. The online chat finally got me some useful support and I was finally sent a direct install link and was able to simply and correctly install and activate. I will need to go through hoops should I ever need to reinstall; the my account services page still has the 365 installer for my single use license. Now I need to read through all the privacy settings. I like to stay as disconnected from Microsoft, or Apple, as possible

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Reactions: GrandCiel

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011

Installing Microsoft software on either macOS or Windows always seems to be a pain. It seems like Microsoft is trying to force 365 on users. I don't want any hint of 365 on my laptop. Microsoft seems to push 365 options even if all I want is the product I purchased. I purchased the Office 2021 key, went to the listed URL to download, entered the license key and downloaded the installer on my new M2 Max MacBook Pro. It would not install, not supported OS.

I went to my Microsoft services page and Office 2021 was included in my list. I downloaded from the provided Install link and installed it but it installed 365. After an hour nine minutes on hold with Microsoft I gave up.

Tried again today via chat after uninstalling every Microsoft file and removed all licenses. The online chat finally got me some useful support and I was finally sent a direct install link and was able to simply and correctly install and activate. I will need to go through hoops should I ever need to reinstall; the my account services page still has the 365 installer for my single use license. Now I need to read through all the privacy settings. I like to stay as disconnected from Microsoft, or Apple, as possible
Can I ask, what is the issue with 365?

Reactions: kitKAC

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

Whether you're using Microsoft 365 or a standalone license like yours, the apps are all exactly the same apps. The features you get are determined by the license you're using.

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Whether you're using Microsoft 365 or a standalone license like yours, the apps are all exactly the same apps. The features you get are determined by the license you're using.
The only apparent differences are;
1. Microsoft 365 updates its apps automatically, and as required, whereas as MS Home and Business are less often, and not automatic.
2. MS Home and Business perpetual licence, allows you use of the product version, with lifetime customer support, but if a new version is released, and you want to use it, you have to pay another licence fee. Microsoft 365 will automatically update the version.
3. Microsoft 365 comes online storage at 1TB, MS Home and Business doesn't.
4. Microsoft 365 allows for use of online app's. MS Home and Business doesn't.
5. MS Home and Business can be used offline at any time, Microsoft 365 has to be connected to the internet within the previous 30 days.
6. MS Home and Business is limited to Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word, Microsoft 365 has Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher, Access, OneNote, Teams + many more in, dependent on which plan.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The only apparent differences are;
1. Microsoft 365 updates its apps automatically, and as required, whereas as MS Home and Business are less often, and not automatic.
The apps are identical for both 365 and standalone, but the 365 license will periodically unlock new features in a given version number. For a standalone license, the user would need to buy a newer license to get at least some of those new features.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Release notes for Office for Mac
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/release-notes-office-for-mac
"Office for Mac that comes with a Microsoft 365 subscription is updated on a regular basis to provide new features, security updates, and non-security updates.
Updates are available from Microsoft AutoUpdate (MAU). To use Microsoft AutoUpdate, start an Office application, such as Word, and then choose Help > Check for Updates. If you're an admin and want to update the computers in your organization with your existing software deployment tools, you can download and deploy the update packages for each application.
Note
These release notes also apply to Office 2019 for Mac, Office LTSC 2021 for Mac, and Office 2021 for Mac, which are available as a one-time purchase from a retail store or through a volume licensing agreement. However, some features listed in the release notes are only available if you have a Microsoft 365 subscription."

What's the difference between Microsoft 365 and Office 2021?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ice-2021-ed447ebf-6060-46f9-9e90-a239bd27eb96
"Office 2021 is sold as a one-time purchase, which means you pay a single, up-front cost to get Microsoft 365 apps for one computer. One-time purchases are available for both PCs and Macs. However, there are no upgrade options, which means if you plan to upgrade to the next major release, you'll have to buy it at full price."

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
One more thing, the links for the individual app standalone installers (Install package) used to be on the Update history page. Microsoft seems to have removed them from that page, but the links are still active and lead to the latest install packages for the apps.
Latest standalone installers
Word
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=525134
Excel
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=525135
PowerPoint
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=525136
Outlook
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=525137
Microsoft AutoUpdate
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=830196

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
The apps are identical for both 365 and standalone, but the 365 license will periodically unlock new features in a given version number. For a standalone license, the user would need to buy a newer license to get at least some of those new features.
And your point is? Everything I said, you have reiterated, and my point summary, is directly off of Microsoft, so that the OP get's the correct information.

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
The ongoing subscription fee is the problem.

A lot of people simply don't have a need for a continual flow of "new features".

Keep in mind that the core programs in Office have been around for decades and long ago reached a mature functional level for many users.
MS 365 is $69.99 a year, and MS Office Home and Business 2021 is $249.99, which is roughly 3.5 times the price of the subscription. So until you have used it for that length, there is no financial benefit. The last 3 releases of the Mac version of MS Office have 3 yearly intervals, which would mean that if you had paid for the licence, not only would you not have got the few extras that 365 provides, you would be out of pocket, approx $40.
I personally find the Microsoft 365 version, delivered and update via the Mac App Store, a much better scenario than the messy installer version, which leave debris everywhere. The 1TB storage is nice too.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
MS 365 is $69.99 a year, and MS Office Home and Business 2021 is $249.99, which is roughly 3.5 times the price of the subscription.
There are frequent sales. It was $49.99 a few days ago https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/microsoft-office-no-subscription-option.2380175/post-31952311 now "sold out" https://stacksocial.com/sales/microsoft-office-home-business-for-mac-2021-lifetime-license-6

The Windows license is now $29.99 https://stacksocial.com/sales/microsoft-office-pro-plus-2021-for-windows-lifetime-license-email-only

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
MS 365 is $69.99 a year, and MS Office Home and Business 2021 is $249.99, which is roughly 3.5 times the price of the subscription. So until you have used it for that length, there is no financial benefit. The last 3 releases of the Mac version of MS Office have 3 yearly intervals, which would mean that if you had paid for the licence, not only would you not have got the few extras that 365 provides, you would be out of pocket, approx $40.
I personally find the Microsoft 365 version, delivered and update via the Mac App Store, a much better scenario than the messy installer version, which leave debris everywhere. The 1TB storage is nice too.

As bogdanw points out, Home and Business is readily available for less than $249.99....and Microsoft still has a "Home and Student" price that's $149.99, which will satisfy many customers' needs without all of the additional features. The lower prices available changes the financial advantage to start sooner less than 3.5 years.

For yourself, you may find the interval updates are worth the money, but there are plenty of people who don't find that those add anything that's useful for them. Not every user needs Cloud Storage, Teams, Clipchamp, Forms....and so forth. For a lot of users all those "extras" are just bloatware.

Lots of people use their purchased copies of Office for longer than the 3.5 years break-even point you calculated.....for many people it's common to keep using it as long as it's compatible with whatever hardware and operating system they have.

And so it seems that Microsoft has recognized that these people are a significant part of their market, and have decided to keep selling the perpetual licenses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3Rock

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
As bogdanw points out, Home and Business is readily available for less than $249.99....and Microsoft still has a "Home and Student" price that's $149.99, which will satisfy many customers' needs without all of the additional features. The lower prices available changes the financial advantage to start sooner less than 3.5 years.

For yourself, you may find the interval updates are worth the money, but there are plenty of people who don't find that those add anything that's useful for them. Not every user needs Cloud Storage, Teams, Clipchamp, Forms....and so forth. For a lot of users all those "extras" are just bloatware.

Lots of people use their purchased copies of Office for longer than the 3.5 years break-even point you calculated.....for many people it's common to keep using it as long as it's compatible with whatever hardware and operating system they have.

And so it seems that Microsoft has recognized that these people are a significant part of their market, and have decided to keep selling the perpetual licenses.
All particularly well argued, and well articulated points. Still haven't heard from the OP, what their particular issue is.

GrandCiel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2019
All particularly well argued, and well articulated points. Still haven't heard from the OP, what their particular issue is.
I have all the correct information. Feel free to have your preference. I don't feel a need to justify mine. My rant was because I wanted no hint of 365 on my laptop and I was finally able to uninstall the 365 files even though they may not have needed to be activated and install just the Office 2021 Home and Business I wanted. There is obviously an installer version that allows that but Microsoft makes it virtually impossible to find.

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
I have all the correct information. Feel free to have your preference. I don't feel a need to justify mine. My rant was because I wanted no hint of 365 on my laptop and I was finally able to uninstall the 365 files even though they may not have needed to be activated and install just the Office 2021 Home and Business I wanted. There is obviously an installer version that allows that but Microsoft makes it virtually impossible to find.
I have not indicated a preference, merely provided a summary of the benefits of each. The question I asked, was why you had that view, with regard to 365. I asked that, as you have posted onto a forum, a self titled 'rant'. Sure you don't have to justify yourself, but to simply come onto a forum, express a dislike, and then not explain why, is pointless. If I see a snake, when I nearly step on it, and then scream, the scream serves no purpose, other than to remind I'm scared and shocked.

GrandCiel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2019
I have not indicated a preference, merely provided a summary of the benefits of each. The question I asked, was why you had that view, with regard to 365. I asked that, as you have posted onto a forum, a self titled 'rant'. Sure you don't have to justify yourself, but to simply come onto a forum, express a dislike, and then not explain why, is pointless. If I see a snake, when I nearly step on it, and then scream, the scream serves no purpose, other than to remind I'm scared and shocked.

What? My post had nothing to do with 365 vs. perpetual license. I made my decision before I purchased it for my own reasons and fully understood the differences when I did. My only point was the difficulty of installing just the Office 2021 files without also installing 365 files. You ask a question that may mean something to you for some unknown reason that involves snakes and screams but they don’t apply to my rant. I suggest you start your own thread if you are so interested in comparing subscriptions to perpetual licenses.

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
What? My post had nothing to do with 365 vs. perpetual license. I made my decision before I purchased it for my own reasons and fully understood the differences when I did. My only point was the difficulty of installing just the Office 2021 files without also installing 365 files. You ask a question that may mean something to you for some unknown reason that involves snakes and screams but they don’t apply to my rant. I suggest you start your own thread if you are so interested in comparing subscriptions to perpetual license
I think if you read this thread again, you'll note I did not respond to you re 365 vs perpetual licence. One of the themes of forum posts, is the conversation get's expanded, and ensuing sub threads build within it.

You came on here to rant. About something. What I was trying to ascertain was why? Was it merely a rant, that you wanted no one to respond to? If so, that's hardly the point of forums. Otherwise, people would respond, and share their opinions.
I don't think anyone is any clearer, in determining what the objection to 365 is, or why the non digital version is your preference. As a learning exercise, which most of these forums are about, it would be nice to know. If it's about subscription services, I'm sure many empathise with you, but sadly it seems the future way of paying for stuff, as leasing has become in the commercial world.

BBB.78

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2015
Hi, please can s.o. tell me the installed app sizes of office 2021 on mac? Thanks in advance

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Hi, please can s.o. tell me the installed app sizes of office 2021 on mac? Thanks in advance
I don't have the whole package installed, just
Microsoft Excel
2,109,102,977 bytes (1.18 GB on disk)
Microsoft Word
2,364,039,557 bytes (2.51 GB on disk)

robinluie

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2023
Update history for Office for Mac - Most current packages for Office for Mac
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-office-for-mac
Office suite (without Teams)
Download Office for Mac to your local network
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/mac/deployment-options-for-office-for-mac
Office for Mac (Microsoft 365 or Office 365 subscription plan)
Office LTSC for Mac 2021 (volume license)
Office 2019 for Mac (retail or volume license)
what are the deployment options for Office for Mac, and how does it vary for different subscription plans such as Microsoft 365, Office 365, Office LTSC for Mac 2021 (volume license), and Office 2019 for Mac (retail or volume license)?

ZainRaza

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2024
Update history for Office for Mac - Most current packages for Office for Mac
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-office-for-mac
Office suite (without Teams)
Download Office for Mac to your local network
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/mac/deployment-options-for-office-for-mac
Office for Mac (Microsoft 365 or Office 365 subscription plan)
Office LTSC for Mac 2021 (volume license)
Office 2019 for Mac (retail or volume license)
what are the arrangement choices for Office for Macintosh, and how can it fluctuate for various membership plans, for example, Microsoft 365, Office 365, Office LTSC for Macintosh 2021 (volume permit), and Office 2019 for Macintosh (retail or volume permit)?

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
what are the arrangement choices for Office for Macintosh, and how can it fluctuate for various membership plans, for example, Microsoft 365, Office 365, Office LTSC for Macintosh 2021 (volume permit), and Office 2019 for Macintosh (retail or volume permit)?
Fluctuating is not a good idea. It requires complete uninstall (including all the hidden files with your settings and license). Decide what you want a stick to it. Office 365 no longer exists - has become Microsoft 365.

My preference is for Word, Excel, etc. from the Apple Store with a Microsoft 365 subscription purchased elsewhere. But there is no "right" solution.

JonaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
As an aside to the original poster - if your aim is to stay as disconnected as possible from Microsoft you will need to install something like Little Snitch to prevent outbound data connections as both Office standalone and Office 365 are extremely chatty with the Microsoft homeworld and make an awful lot of connections each time you launch

Reactions: Pierre535
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.