Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The point and shoot pro

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 12, 2023
After some initial connection issues, I am now using Phone Link with my iPhone and it works awesome. I don't care about getting photos, videos etc from my phone to my PC since I am using onedrive for my online storage, so they automatically go to my cloud where I can connect on any of my devices.

The trick to getting the iPhone and PC to connect is to remove both devices from each others Bluetooth lists, toggle the Bluetooth on both off and back on, and then pair through the phone link app. It's much better than the clunky intel Unison solution. My phone now connects seamlessly and automatically with my workstation and my notebook as soon as they are active. No need to log in etc every time like Unison.

The point and shoot pro

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 12, 2023
Yep shame its limited compared to Android Phone link but its a start :)
that's all on apple, not Microsoft. Apple locks down all their functionality. Android is open and allows more features to be implemented. I am just happy that I get all my notifications, messages etc through my pc screen now where I can respond accordingly without picking up my phone. I don't care about sending pictures etc. I just want to respond quickly to messages etc.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
that's all on apple, not Microsoft. Apple locks down all their functionality. Android is open and allows more features to be implemented. I am just happy that I get all my notifications, messages etc through my pc screen now where I can respond accordingly without picking up my phone. I don't care about sending pictures etc. I just want to respond quickly to messages etc.
Yes its IOS lock down that prevents MS doing more

HQuest

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
My experience with the app has been way subpar. And Microsoft's documentation is lacking. I had to manually pair to the computer via iPhone's Bluetooth while the Phone Link app was supposedly also pairing, otherwise the Link would fail.

When I go to Settings > Bluetooth > Computer name (i) > Device Type, it is set to "Other". I do have "Show Notifications" and Sync Contacts turned on.

For the happy folks out there, how are your phone Bluetooth settings set? My battery indicator does not work, notifications aren't working and the phone keeps disconnecting while sitting under a feet from my iMac (via bootcamp).

The point and shoot pro

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 12, 2023
My experience with the app has been way subpar. And Microsoft's documentation is lacking. I had to manually pair to the computer via iPhone's Bluetooth while the Phone Link app was supposedly also pairing, otherwise the Link would fail.

When I go to Settings > Bluetooth > Computer name (i) > Device Type, it is set to "Other". I do have "Show Notifications" and Sync Contacts turned on.

For the happy folks out there, how are your phone Bluetooth settings set? My battery indicator does not work, notifications aren't working and the phone keeps disconnecting while sitting under a feet from my iMac (via bootcamp).
Everything works fine for me. My battery life shows, all my notifications, etc. Even swaps between my workstation and notebook. It is working fine. Takes a time or two of restarting my PC's after an update for everything to settle down again, but after that it's all good again.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I go back and forth between Mac/iPhone and Windows/Android fairly often. The phone app on Windows has gotten much better and it works well enough but it's not even in the same league as continuity and handoff on Apple devices.

As far as an iPhone on Windows solution goes try the Intel Unison App. Even with an Android, I prefer it over the integrated Windows solution and it works with iPhone.

The point and shoot pro

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 12, 2023
I had it and it was flaky. I just want reliable messaging and phone link gives it to me. I am sure MS will add file sharing like the others!

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

If your using bootcamp then look no further for your issues than Apple's BT drivers that are notoriously flakey :rolleyes:

Reactions: raqball

The point and shoot pro

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 12, 2023
I go back and forth between Mac/iPhone and Windows/Android fairly often. The phone app on Windows has gotten much better and it works well enough but it's not even in the same league as continuity and handoff on Apple devices.

As far as an iPhone on Windows solution goes try the Intel Unison App. Even with an Android, I prefer it over the integrated Windows solution and it works with iPhone.
Microsoft's system works with iPhone too now. It's a much smoother system than intel's. Just turn on the pc and it's done. I am connected to my phone right now, and it's in my office charging while I am in my family room drinking coffee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.