Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xtbfx

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2003
Hmm, looks like more pointless features, without any major improvements.

Woop-te-doo.

xenafu

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2004
New York
Whole lotta nuthin'

*downloads it*

*looks for something new*

*finds nothing*

*isn't surprised*

*deletes* *destroys*

*opens iChat*

*smiles*

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
If it's more reliable, it doesn't matter whether it gets new features. After all, it makes Yahoo! Messenger look like a paragon of reliability.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
one of my friends, who 'supposedly' has 'family' who works in the MacBU division of M$ was telling me (back when 4.0 was just released) that there 'will' be a 'new' version of M$N released by the end of summer with such features as webcam and bs like that, he's all bs, once also saying he bought an iBook then 3 days later his 'cousin' ruined 'it' by spilling 'water' on it... lol

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
munkle said:
With the likes of Adium and Fire etc around, does anybody actually use MSN Messenger?

Yes, I do, because that's what all of my PC-using friends have. So I have no choice.

Zen.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
zen said:
Yes, I do, because that's what all of my PC-using friends have. So I have no choice.

Zen.

You can still use your MSN Account with Adium, or Fire for that matter, and it offers a lot more features and the ability to customise.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
zen said:

Zen.

You do realize you can talk to your friends on MSN using Fire et al. Fire is a multi messenger app - it supports AOL, ICQ and MSN amongst others.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Hmm, will give Adium and Fire a go. Which do most people prefer?

Edit: Took a look at the Adium website (am at work on a PC so can't try it yet). Looks great! I can't believe I didn't know about this!

Zen

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Cohiba said:
I hear that.

Did you hear the comments after that post too! ;) :)

zen said:
Hmm, will give Adium and Fire a go. Which do most people prefer?

Edit: Took a look at the Adium website (am at work on a PC so can't try it yet). Looks great! I can't believe I didn't know about this!

Zen

I would go with Adium, a lot prettier in my eyes and development seems to be more active. If you check out the desktops thread, a lot of people are using it.

Frozone

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2002
Atlanta, Georgia
Sharewaredemon said:
Does anyone use Proteus?
how does that compare the fire and adium?

I use Proteus. I love it, The only thing that I see that it doens't do that MSN Messenger can do is have multiple people in one chat. Other than that it's AWEOSME!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Sharewaredemon said:
Does anyone use Proteus?
how does that compare the fire and adium?

I used it once. It deleted several people from my contact list (from the server - they were still gone when I went back to MSN). Needless to say, I've never used it since!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Nermal said:
I used it once. It deleted several people from my contact list (from the server - they were still gone when I went back to MSN). Needless to say, I've never used it since!

I had a similar experience recently with jBuddy and starting using MSN Messenger again.

papersushi

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2003
The problem about Adium is if you re-arrange the friend or buddy group whatever you call it, it will somehow delete some of your contacts off the MSN server. So when you use your MSN messenger again, you may find out you have lost few of your friends. At least it happened to me.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I use Adium...
but do have a couple of issues with it.
I like to display my contacts in order of status - but it doesn't seem to refresh... so I have do do that manually via View - Sort Contacts - by Status - evven though it is already ticked?!!!

And when i'm having three way chats with people - my comments appear twice in the main window... makes it all a bit annoying.

oh yeah and I found a bug in the emoticons - which I reported....
the blush keystrokes are the same as for vampire bat.
I didnt realise it till a femaled friend told me to stop using it!

I use Adium X 0.63.

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
DJY said:
I use Adium...
but do have a couple of issues with it.
I like to display my contacts in order of status - but it doesn't seem to refresh... so I have do do that manually via View - Sort Contacts - by Status - evven though it is already ticked?!!!

And when i'm having three way chats with people - my comments appear twice in the main window... makes it all a bit annoying.

oh yeah and I found a bug in the emoticons - which I reported....
the blush keystrokes are the same as for vampire bat.
I didnt realise it till a femaled friend told me to stop using it!

I use Adium X 0.63.

Fire's support for group chats is good (For AIM, MSN and Yahoo) and Fire's emoticon support is better since it uses the appropriate emoticons for each service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.