Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
All of that effort just to make sure you don't have to get a new version.
More productive and useful use of time and effort than coming up with and typing in a complaint post that ultimately doesn't really do anything productive.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
It's painful to watch this unfold. Microsoft acquire Skype after failing to attract users with their own software. They then take Skype and make it into something that people doesn't want, basically reintroducing the problem from their own previous attempts.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The main thing I read was that people don't like he new UI, something that others posted a fix for. :\
Seems like there's quite a bit more to it aside from the UI part of it (and the UI "fix" was a pstial workaround at best as well it would seem).

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I figured out how to keep Skype 2.8 logged in and not prompt to 'Download Now' and quit.

I monitored ingoing and outgoing connections in nettop while Skype was logging in with the following command

$ nettop -m tcp

View attachment 484802

A subdomain for 'skype.com' quickly showed a SynSent just before the 'Download Now' window appeared.

I added 'ui.skype.com' to /etc/hosts and flushed the dns cache.

$ sudo nano /etc/hosts

View attachment 484803

$ dscacheutil -flushcache

Now Skype 2.8 should stay logged in!

I found I didn't even need to do any DNS flushing. I just added the line to Hosts and it worked great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.