Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
I don't like the lack of options on the Surface. It seems you need to pay out the nose for the better specs. Basically you need to plunk down $4200 it looks like.

iMac
  • 4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
  • 8GB 2400MHz DDR4
  • 2TB SSD
  • Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory
  • $3900

Surface
  • 2.7GHz quad-core 6th-generation Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
  • 32GB 2400MHz DDR4
  • 128GB SSD with 2TB HDD
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB
  • $4200

I will have to admit I don't know much about the surface but on paper it's pricey. If you configure the iMac to 32GB of aftermarket you can get them matching in price but the iMac has a better video card on paper, much better storage option and fast intel chip. Plus you can run OSX and Windows on it.

Reactions: iMi

guibo

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2017
Surface is that product everyone thinks is cool and loves virtually, but that no one puts down hard earned cash for.

iMi

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Surface is that product everyone thinks is cool and loves virtually, but that no one puts down hard earned cash for.

Did Microsoft publish any sales data on the Surface Studio? That would be interesting to see.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
My sister bought the maxed out version and she loves it.. She is a pro photographer in NYC and uses a rMBP as her mobile machine..

I think she paid like almost $5K for her Studio.. :yikes: but that's nothing considering it's what makes her a living I suppose..

Reactions: apolloa

Queen6

macrumors G4
I do know some who are keenly interested for professional use, equally the consensus is to hold off and let Microsoft develop the Studio more as they have done with previous Surface products. Absolutely a "halo" product, best that can happen is that it encourages some of the other OEM's to follow. My own opinion is the Studio should be more powerful being more orientated to professional use, with greater expandability.

Q-6

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I do know some who are keenly interested for professional use, equally the consensus is to hold off and let Microsoft develop the Studio more as they have done with previous Surface products. Absolutely a "halo" product, best that can happen is that it encourages some of the other OEM's to follow. My own opinion is the Studio should be more powerful being more orientated to professional use, with greater expandability.

Q-6
Yes I agree the SS wants a tweak up in the box to latest spec's but it's more than just a nice all in one that the Imac is

If you require that amount of digital input you have to add +$2k to the Imac price, less the cost of a better CPU/Graphics card, then the SS will look far better value on paper

Reactions: apolloa and raqball

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Did Microsoft publish any sales data on the Surface Studio? That would be interesting to see.

Forbes had an article recently about it and while they weren't moving many units the article was basically saying the main purpose of the Surface was more of a prestige product in that it adds more value to the brand than actually makes money. For example some car manufactures compete in F1 racing not to make money since it's expensive as heck to develop race car tech but for brand awareness and research of tech. In some ways the Surface is that for MicroSoft. IMO Apple took a misstep in it's pro lineup by getting rid of many of its pro apps and not putting enough effort into updating their Mac Pro line. They obviously don't do it because its not a money maker like their cell phone division but keeping the professional is good for brand awareness. It looks like they are making an effort to gain some of this back with the iMac Pro.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
This is absolutely the purpose of "Surface" for Microsoft; these are "Halo" products attracting media attention, setting the bar for the OEMS's. The exception being the Surface Pro/Surface Pro 4 which I observe is gaining traction in the mainstream now, frequently seeing ever more while traveling.

I very much agree Apple has misjudged the Halo effect of it's professional user base and their influence on the tech press. Apple now seems be desperately scrambling, wanting to retain it's professionals, stemming the loss. Yet Apple still remains incapable of understanding our basic needs. Not so long back people would approach and enquire about my MacBook Pro's when on the go, visiting engineering & technical facilities etc. these days Microsoft's Surface book is drawing the interest.

Long may it continue; Microsoft's very far from being perfect, equally I applaud Microsoft for not being scared to try, actualise new paradigms, bringing them to market. Inversely Apple seems to be scared of it's own shadow, rehashing the same old recipe's over and over, frequently offering less at ever higher price points...

Q-6

Forbes had an article recently about it and while they weren't moving many units the article was basically saying the main purpose of the Surface was more of a prestige product in that it adds more value to the brand than actually makes money. For example some car manufactures compete in F1 racing not to make money since it's expensive as heck to develop race car tech but for brand awareness and research of tech. In some ways the Surface is that for MicroSoft. IMO Apple took a misstep in it's pro lineup by getting rid of many of its pro apps and not putting enough effort into updating their Mac Pro line. They obviously don't do it because its not a money maker like their cell phone division but keeping the professional is good for brand awareness. It looks like they are making an effort to gain some of this back with the iMac Pro.

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I'm considering saving money for a Surface Studio, because it's one hell of a machine. But I'd rather have the latest Intel chips and Nvidia 10 series GPU's.
I'm no Pro but like my tech, and Apple is just utterly utterly utterly dull on the computer side, the Mac Pro is a lovely design but so outdated it's ridiculous, and considering the iMac Pro cost I'm betting the new Mac Pro will be north of 5 grand.

To me, it seems Apples response to the Surface Studio is the iMac Pro, which is nothing more then a spec bump, the machines design is the same as several years ago, no new innovations for its target audience what so ever. Oh and the new iMac Pro starts at a much higher price then the maxed out Surface Studio...

As a computer and hardware geek, Microsoft absolutely battered Apple into the ground with the Studio, because of real true innovation.

Microsoft over the last few years has been the cornered guy with their backs to the wall and by God have they come out fighting back.. the Xbox One is a great example, the original console was a launch mess, one of the worst ever, and Sony has been beating them since, however they changed the guy running it, they totally redesigned the Xbox One, and it now has ridiculous value for money because it has sales on great games a lot, and it gives fantastic free games every month! It's value beats Sony into a pulp! Plus the Xbox One X will be the most powerful console ever launched.

So yes, as a tech company Microsoft is great. I think for mobile and tablets and watches it's Apple, for computers and consoles it's Microsoft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Falhófnir

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I'm considering saving money for a Surface Studio, ecaise it's one hell of a machine. But I'd rather have the latest Intel chips and Nvidia 10 series GPU's.
I'm no Pro but like my tech, and Apple is just utterly utterly utterly dull on the computer side, the Mac Pro is a lovely design but so outdated it's ridiculous.

To me, it seems Apples response to the Surface Studio is the iMac Pro, which is nothing more then a spec bump, the machines design is the same as several years ago, no new innovations for its target audience what so ever. Oh and the new iMac Pro starts at a much higher price then the maxed out Surface Studio...

As a computer and hardware geek, Microsoft absolutely battered Apple into the ground with the Studio, because of real true innovation.
As someone who really prefers the laptop form factor, I agree. Just the whole concept of the huge interactive touch surface is really appealing, having said that, not sure I'd personally pay out what they want for it considering I'd probably only really use it for playing around until I was bored, then it would revert to a general use machine, so really it'd be largely wasted on me. But yeah, the want factor is there whereas I've never even looked twice at an iMac, preferring the laptop formfactor and being able to move around the house a bit if I want. I did give serious thought to a surface book, but in the end not having a 15" option put me off as I like a slightly roomier screen.

Reactions: apolloa

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
I wouldn't buy one just because of their fragility. Consumer Reports has them at a 2 year/25% breakage rate. That's far too high for a supposedly good machine.

https://www.consumerreports.org/lap...-tablets-not-recommended-by-consumer-reports/

Consumer Reports is removing its “recommended” designation from four Microsoft laptops and cannot recommend any other Microsoft laptops or tablets because of poor predicted reliability in comparison with most other brands.

To judge reliability, Consumer Reports surveys its subscribers about the products they own and use. New studies conducted by the Consumer Reports National Research Center estimate that 25 percent of Microsoft laptops and tablets will present their owners with problems by the end of the second year of ownership.

The decision by Consumer Reports applies to Microsoft devices with detachable keyboards, such as the new Surface Pro released in June and the Surface Book, as well as the company’s Surface Laptops with conventional clamshell designs.

Reactions: iMi

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
I wouldn't buy one just because of their fragility. Consumer Reports has them at a 2 year/25% breakage rate. That's far too high for a supposedly good machine.

https://www.consumerreports.org/lap...-tablets-not-recommended-by-consumer-reports/

That's a report with what seems to be little evidence of the Surface laptops and tablets. It doesn't mention the Surface Studio at all.
I'm presuming that's the same 'Consumer Reports' who flatly refused to recommend the new MacBook Pro this year until Apple fixed its bugs..
[doublepost=1503697981][/doublepost]
As someone who really prefers the laptop form factor, I agree. Just the whole concept of the huge interactive touch surface is really appealing, having said that, not sure I'd personally pay out what they want for it considering I'd probably only really use it for playing around until I was bored, then it would revert to a general use machine, so really it'd be largely wasted on me. But yeah, the want factor is there whereas I've never even looked twice at an iMac, preferring the laptop formfactor and being able to move around the house a bit if I want. I did give serious thought to a surface book, but in the end not having a 15" option put me off as I like a slightly roomier screen.

I don't need a laptop as I've found my iPad to replace that, I do want a new computer however, and I 'want' a Surface Studio...

I've bought or been gifted a few gadgets I've wanted due to their innovation or designs, the first gen Fire TV, the iPhone, the Apple Watch, my iPad Pro 9.7", the Xbox One S. I've looked at the new MacBook Pros, I have a 15" one from 2010, and they are nice, but I don't want one..

Last edited:

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
This is absolutely the purpose of "Surface" for Microsoft; these are "Halo" products attracting media attention, setting the bar for the OEMS's. The exception being the Surface Pro/Surface Pro 4 which I observe is gaining traction in the mainstream now, frequently seeing ever more while traveling.

I very much agree Apple has misjudged the Halo effect of it's professional user base and their influence on the tech press. Apple now seems be desperately scrambling, wanting to retain it's professionals, stemming the loss. Yet Apple still remains incapable of understanding our basic needs. Not so long back people would approach and enquire about my MacBook Pro's when on the go, visiting engineering & technical facilities etc. these days Microsoft's Surface book is drawing the interest.

Long may it continue; Microsoft's very far from being perfect, equally I applaud Microsoft for not being scared to try, actualise new paradigms, bringing them to market. Inversely Apple seems to be scared of it's own shadow, rehashing the same old recipe's over and over, frequently offering less at ever higher price points...

Q-6

I agree with you on all you've said. Microsoft is creating new categories, and Apple is rehashing the same stuff over and over. I have had a Surface Pro for almost 3 months and while I don't remember seeing many in the wild in the past, my trip last week to Brazil I was in sight of someone else using one nearly every place in route there and back. I love the form factor and frankly have been more excited about it than another other Mac or PC I've owned. Apple being "afraid of its own shadow" I think is the supply chain Tim Cook leadership vs. the innovative Steve Jobs. He's making a lot of profit, but not innovating in any area I'm much interested in. Apple has really become a phone company with everything else being accessories for the iPhone.

I'm considering saving money for a Surface Studio, because it's one hell of a machine. But I'd rather have the latest Intel chips and Nvidia 10 series GPU's.
I'm no Pro but like my tech, and Apple is just utterly utterly utterly dull on the computer side, the Mac Pro is a lovely design but so outdated it's ridiculous, and considering the iMac Pro cost I'm betting the new Mac Pro will be north of 5 grand.

Microsoft over the last few years has been the cornered guy with their backs to the wall and by God have they come out fighting back.. the Xbox One is a great example, the original console was a launch mess, one of the worst ever, and Sony has been beating them since, however they changed the guy running it, they totally redesigned the Xbox One, and it now has ridiculous value for money because it has sales on great games a lot, and it gives fantastic free games every month! It's value beats Sony into a pulp! Plus the Xbox One X will be the most powerful console ever launched.

So yes, as a tech company Microsoft is great. I think for mobile and tablets and watches it's Apple, for computers and consoles it's Microsoft.

I agree with your last line, except for tablets. If you want to carry around a dedicated tablet, yes. If you want a hybrid, no. But Apple is a phone company that also sells lots of accessories for the phone. Every other product support the iPhone.

How does the CR report have anything to do with Surface Studio? They didn't exist 2 years ago. Personally, I put zero weight into anything CR is producing. They used to be the gold standard for this kind of thing but have fallen behind the times and are largely irrelevant now. And for a point of comparison, the product they don't recommend was rated higher than iPad in tablet user satisfaction by JD Power and Associates less than a year ago.

Reactions: Queen6

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
I agree with you on all you've said. Microsoft is creating new categories, and Apple is rehashing the same stuff over and over. I have had a Surface Pro for almost 3 months and while I don't remember seeing many in the wild in the past, my trip last week to Brazil I was in sight of someone else using one nearly every place in route there and back. I love the form factor and frankly have been more excited about it than another other Mac or PC I've owned. Apple being "afraid of its own shadow" I think is the supply chain Tim Cook leadership vs. the innovative Steve Jobs. He's making a lot of profit, but not innovating in any area I'm much interested in. Apple has really become a phone company with everything else being accessories for the iPhone.

I agree with your last line, except for tablets. If you want to carry around a dedicated tablet, yes. If you want a hybrid, no. But Apple is a phone company that also sells lots of accessories for the phone. Every other product support the iPhone.

How does the CR report have anything to do with Surface Studio? They didn't exist 2 years ago. Personally, I put zero weight into anything CR is producing. They used to be the gold standard for this kind of thing but have fallen behind the times and are largely irrelevant now. And for a point of comparison, the product they don't recommend was rated higher than iPad in tablet user satisfaction by JD Power and Associates less than a year ago.

Haha that's true, I like the iPad Pro but it's not a hybrid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.