Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akuma

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2001
<sarcasm>
Ahh, the beauty that is Microsoft .... in a handheld PC???
</sarcasm>

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-7843111.html?tag=pt.ne.key3.last6.7843111

From the above article:
"The Tablet PC is a pen-driven, fully functional computer that converts pen strokes into graphics that can be handled in ways similar to ordinary computer type. Although the computer doesn't recognize specific words in "ink" mode, it distinguishes between words and pictures. In handwriting recognition mode, the Tablet PC does its best to make words out of what is written. It also lets people perform some word processing-like tasks, such as inserting space between lines, copying text or boldfacing pen strokes. "

Sounds like a newton copycat to me.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
more reason for apple to make something like that again

in the late 90s, sun thought newtworking would replace standalone pcs and bring the emphasis of the market away from windows 98...yeah right...that was a real bust

now the predictions are for handhelds and small devices...this is where apple might have a jump on the competition...especially microsoft

one day, almost everything will be some sort of handheld device (the ibook is almost there with the "handheld" designation being under 4.0 lbs. with screen under eleven inches) so apple should at least keep an eye on the future...and day by day the ipod seems to be gaining acceptance and hopefully the ipod will be a first in a long line of digital devices

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-12-2001 at 11:13 AM]

akuma

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2001
Let's hope so

I think the iPod is a step in the right direction for Apple. With more and more people buying into the "smaller is better" mindset, it can only benefit apple to continue to create sophisticated products that fill a niche (like the iPod) then carry those designs into larger product lines.

I think that Apple will not make a new handheld, only because they have denied it for a while.

I do think that they will produce, in the future, some sort of protable that, although they won't call a handheld, will certainly look and seem like one.

I think that they are just waiting to see what people will do with the iPod and capitalize on it's acceptance.

Or I at least hope they will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.