Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thor774

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I couldn't find mentions of this specific issue. This info could be useful for others so I decided to post it. This should work in other apps too.

My macOS Ventura installation is set in English; this is the language I use for the GUI in most apps, but I constantly change between typing in different languages. Some apps handle this very well, detect language change and do this automatically (like the Microsoft Office apps) and Google Chrome, while others do not (Evernote, I am looking at you). When autocorrect thinks that you are writing in a language that you aren't it starts offering completely bogus suggestions. You start seeing a ton of the typical underlined words in red, something annoying.

In my case, this was especially critical when using Microsoft Teams which I mainly use to communicate in one specific language that isn't English. There wasn't a problem with correctly spelled words as they were not being red-underlined, and if I mistyped something it was correctly indicated by underlining it in red, but all the autocorrect suggestions I received were wrong as they were being pulled from the English dictionary.

To get rid of this, I had to change language settings in 2 places:
  1. In the Teams app itself: "..." beside the profile pic/Settings/General/Language/App Language. Set it to the language you will be typing in. Teams app must be restarted after this. This only changes some things inside the app to that language, but not everything. For example, the app menus are still shown in English. This isn't enough to correct the spell checker yet.
  2. Go to macOS System Settings/General/Language & Region/Applications. Add Microsoft Teams to the list and chose the language you will be typing in. You get asked to restart the Teams app. After this everything inside the Teams app is shown in your chosen language, including the app menus, and autocorrect now works as expected when you type in your chosen language, offering the correct suggestions to misspelled words that are underlined in red.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.