Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
It appears that Microsoft has a working prototype of a dual screen laptop.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/micro...urus-dual-screen-laptop-ahead-of-apples-wwdc/

My thoughts are that the much maligned butterfly keyboard when taken in light of the also much maligned touchbar, might be an early move toward an eventual device that would be something like a dual screen laptop where both surfaces would either need to be flat or pretty close to it.

There was a thread on this very possibility a few months ago, but it was discussed in the context of Apple possibly pursuing a keyboard design that had an all glass surface that had no way for debris to get into the switch stabilizers.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...s-that-could-end-sticky-key-problems.2168331/

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Far prefer this concept by Intel

Wait... what is Intel doing producing laptop prototypes?

That's pretty cool. I think I'd prefer that as well. I'd probably have little use for any touchscreen functions, but a second accessory screen in my laptop that I can use to look up references or stash a debug window? Yeah, that'd be awesome.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Wait... what is Intel doing producing laptop prototypes?

That's pretty cool. I think I'd prefer that as well. I'd probably have little use for any touchscreen functions, but a second accessory screen in my laptop that I can use to look up references or stash a debug window? Yeah, that'd be awesome.

Yeah it looks really useful, but just a concept, I do know that ASUS are releasing a similar notebook, although the Intel concept seems a lot better executed to get the best from the secondary display and improves ergonomics.

I would want to see first hand, equally I can see the benefit straight away. At first I was like "what can I use it for" and once understood it's a full secondary touch display, rapidly apparent the benefits.

Right now I'm in the field on my primary engineering project and this notebook is running 10 virtual desktops, having the ability to place some data/windows on the secondary display will be big boost.

ZenBook Pro Duo Spec:
https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ZenBook-Pro-Duo-UX581GV/Tech-Specs/

Q-6

Reactions: kazmac

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I would want to see first hand, equally I can see the benefit straight away. At first I was like "what can I use it for" and once understood it's a full secondary touch display, rapidly apparent the benefits.

I really like that it's right in your field of view. I love having a lot of display to work with, but multiple monitor setups never work well for me. I find that I always end up with tunnel vision on a single display and barely use the other displays and when I do use the other displays, my neck gets sore from turning over there so often.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I really like that it's right in your field of view. I love having a lot of display to work with, but multiple monitor setups never work well for me. I find that I always end up with tunnel vision on a single display and barely use the other displays and when I do use the other displays, my neck gets sore from turning over there so often.

I've even looked at portable USB C displays and I use my Acer Switch 5 as a secondary display either as a standalone system or as an extension of my primary notebook by connecting wirelessly.

I'm a big multitasker so more the merrier for me, I've got 10 virtual desktops running on this notebook now. I rarely exit applications and use the same desktop for specific tasks. For me the additional built in display of the Zenbook Pro Duo would definitely be of use, actually similar to the Zephyrus line I'm hoping for a 17" with RTX 2070.

Q-6

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It appears that Microsoft has a working prototype of a dual screen laptop.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/micro...urus-dual-screen-laptop-ahead-of-apples-wwdc/

My thoughts are that the much maligned butterfly keyboard when taken in light of the also much maligned touchbar, might be an early move toward an eventual device that would be something like a dual screen laptop where both surfaces would either need to be flat or pretty close to it.

There was a thread on this very possibility a few months ago, but it was discussed in the context of Apple possibly pursuing a keyboard design that had an all glass surface that had no way for debris to get into the switch stabilizers.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...s-that-could-end-sticky-key-problems.2168331/
A Microsoft Surface version of the Lenovo Yoga Book? I'm in.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I would always try to stay away whenever an OEM is trying to do fancy gimmicks. Yeah they look great for a demo, but as time goes by, the support for it (bug fixes, drivers, etc) will go on the wayside as the OEM fall back to the standard laptop. Don't want to have a device that relies on the unreliable OEM custom software for a hardware feature to work. If Microsoft themselves do it, maybe that's a more trustworthy choice.

Reactions: sracer

Queen6

macrumors G4
I would always try to stay away whenever an OEM is trying to do fancy gimmicks. Yeah they look great for a demo, but as time goes by, the support for it (bug fixes, drivers, etc) will go on the wayside as the OEM fall back to the standard laptop. Don't want to have a device that relies on the unreliable OEM custom software for a hardware feature to work. If Microsoft themselves do it, maybe that's a more trustworthy choice.

In this case it's just a secondary display so no need for concern, OS will just treat it as such.

Q-6

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I'm the opposite. I seek out hardware with quirky designs. Not only are they fun to experiment with, but my purchases also support the company that takes the chance and lets them know that there is interest for devices like that. The Sharp Aquos Crystal phone was bezel-less on 3 sides. It was inexpensive, unusual looking, and worked great... far more immersive IMO than phones with a notch.

The Lenovo Yoga Book is still very functional and offers an experience that is unlike any other.

but having said that, I completely agree with you regarding the poor follow-on support for these "oddball" devices.

Reactions: kazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.