Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Looks like MS is overhauling the File Explorer. Given the glacial pace that MS rolls out announced features, this will almost certainly be years down the road. Still, it looks like a major change
This is Microsoft's new modern File Explorer overhaul for Windows 11

Lack of an address bar is rather concerning. I use that heavily to move around, I would hope that it returns in some fashion

1674824443791.png

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Lack of an address bar is rather concerning. I use that heavily to move around, I would hope that it returns in some fashion

There probably is a address bar, just hidden. Even some Linux file explorers don't look like they have one, but they do. Just CTRL+L as a shortcut is all you need. Same shortcut is on Explorer. There is probably gonna be one for mouse use as well. Can't have a file explorer without an address bar :)

P.S.
Looks similar to current Explorer. Just way more modern. I actually like it.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
It took me way too long to realize that the photo that you posted is not Google Drive, but rather the File Explorer redesign. If their goal was to mimic Drive's look, then they succeeded.

The tabs are welcome. A feature I often utilized on my MacBook.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I was going to ask "Really?! Where?!", but after updating to 22H2 today I finally see them. Great addition!!

I don't know how many months behind I was on updates but I had been postponing them for a long time now. I see they added back the ability to drag and hover files over the taskbar in order to drag them into other app windows. FINALLY!!

• Wow
Reactions: russell_314

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Looks like MS is overhauling the File Explorer. Given the glacial pace that MS rolls out announced features, this will almost certainly be years down the road. Still, it looks like a major change
This is Microsoft's new modern File Explorer overhaul for Windows 11

View attachment 2149058
Am I missing something? Isn’t the address path right at the top there? It says Home >

??

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I was going to ask "Really?! Where?!", but after updating to 22H2 today I finally see them. Great addition!!

I don't know how many months behind I was on updates but I had been postponing them for a long time now. I see they added back the ability to drag and hover files over the taskbar in order to drag them into other app windows. FINALLY!!
Wow Windows has tabs! They're catching up!

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Ha! Better late than never! I missed those after switching away from macOS.
I have a Windows PC but it's just for gaming so I don't really mess with the OS much at all. I could use Windows for everything if I had to but it sure wouldn't be by choice 🤣

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Maybe he means a clickable address bar where you can copy/paste paths?
I’m positive that there just isn’t a box drawn around but when clicking on it that same functionality is there. A UI tweak.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It shows the folder name but that's not an address bar
image.jpg

Click on it, it becomes an address bar. Same as W10.

I think we’re reading way too much into the slight UI tweak. If the screenshot was taken from a different location than just having Home selected, I’m confident the path would be there and then clicking on it would result in the full file path we’re used to.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I have a Windows PC but it's just for gaming so I don't really mess with the OS much at all. I could use Windows for everything if I had to but it sure wouldn't be by choice 🤣
The window management on Windows is S-tier. It's sooo good. That's a big draw for me. Do you use Magnet or Rectange on your Mac to mimic Windows' functionality? Those look like good options to me. I never used them before switching.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
The window management on Windows is S-tier. It's sooo good. That's a big draw for me. Do you use Magnet or Rectange on your Mac to mimic Windows' functionality? Those look like good options to me. I never used them before switching.
No I can't stand windows that click in place or resize automatically. I turn that off on my Windows PC. I want full control over my windows and I size them how I like. I know everyone is different but that's just me.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
That's a relief. Thanks for the confirmation.
Don’t take that as word, obviously we don’t know. MS is know for horrible UI, but usually from trying to pack too many features in. I have serious doubts they’re doing away with the existing functionality, I see this as just a reskin when it comes to the address bar.

JuicyGoomba

macrumors member
May 20, 2021
Like with the horrible start menu redesign in 11, I'm really not sure why they're pushing the "recommended" feature so much. Casual users are more likely to be cloud based, and that cloud based storage most definitely will not be OneDrive. To me it just seems like another way for them to justify their telemetry.

That being said, I've just pushed myself to learn command line so the notion of using a GUI for file management seems a bit archaic, as ironic as that is.

I generally prefer the way Chrome OS file manager has evolved. It's a good balance between the simplicity of Mac OS and Windows' File Explorer but decluttered. Hoping the new file explorer can have all the new "features"/junk turned off for the times I need to use it.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Like with the horrible start menu redesign in 11, I'm really not sure why they're pushing the "recommended" feature so much. Casual users are more likely to be cloud based, and that cloud based storage most definitely will not be OneDrive. To me it just seems like another way for them to justify their telemetry.

That being said, I've just pushed myself to learn command line so the notion of using a GUI for file management seems a bit archaic, as ironic as that is.

I generally prefer the way Chrome OS file manager has evolved. It's a good balance between the simplicity of Mac OS and Windows' File Explorer but decluttered. Hoping the new file explorer can have all the new "features"/junk turned off for the times I need to use it.
For the same reason any windows search counts as a Bing search, to BS usage to justify stock prices. Few are purposely using Bing, but because it’s now just part of how windows search works they can insist it’s actually very popular.

JuicyGoomba

macrumors member
May 20, 2021
For the same reason any windows search counts as a Bing search, to BS usage to justify stock prices. Few are purposely using Bing, but because it’s now just part of how windows search works they can insist it’s actually very popular.
I didn't even know this was a thing. Even with all the search on web toggles turned off? Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if they magically re-enable after an update...

Having Windows 11 installed is like having a GF who is constantly in a jealous phase. I can feel her staring at my Chrome icon just waiting to slap an Edge shortcut on my desktop at a moment's notice.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I didn't even know this was a thing. Even with all the search on web toggles turned off? Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if they magically re-enable after an update...

Having Windows 11 installed is like having a GF who is constantly in a jealous phase. I can feel her staring at my Chrome icon just waiting to slap an Edge shortcut on my desktop at a moment's notice.
Any speak to with it off, but given probably 98% of regular users don’t know how to turn it off in the first place it’s still goosing numbers.

I don’t appreciate web search in Windows, and I don’t want it in Spotlight. I’m searching my computer instead of the internet for a ****ing reason.

PS. It’s completely meaningless, but I can’t wait to finish my MDM deployment at work so I can kill web search across the fleet, purely for my own satisfaction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.