Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aika

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
I thought this would be of interest to long-time Mac users who love Spotlight and Alfred. Wox has never been even a fraction as good as any of the top tier launchers on macOS but maybe with Microsoft behind this effort we can finally get a great launcher on Windows 10. I don't however understand why this is going to be a PowerTool and not a standard part of the OS.

Microsoft is currently building a new Spotlight-like launcher app for Windows 10. Designed to replace the existing Win + R shortcut, the new launcher will include options to quickly search apps and files across Windows and support for plugins like calculators, dictionaries, and search engines.

The software giant has been working on the launcher since January, and an initial public beta is planned for May. An early version of the launcher will support basic search tasks that are typically handled by the built-in Windows Start menu search functionality. But there are plans to make this a more powerful launcher that’s similar to Alfred on macOS and more functional than Apple’s Spotlight search.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Ha, this is great. While Windows and Linux already have their ways to open applications by typing, I miss Spotlight...

Reactions: BigMcGuire

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Never knew this was coming, looks really good to be fair. I don't understand the power toy thing though, what do you need for it to work when it comes?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I only use Win+R to open Control Panel but it looks like just hitting Windows Key then typing Control Panel works too. One thing that Win+R is necessary for is the old: control userpasswords2

But Windows Key then just start typing seems to be a good enough "launcher" for me. That's how I run every app on my Windows 10 -- just hit Windows key then type the app I want to run.

I welcome this ! I love spotlight on my Mac.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I'm a big fan of Alfred. Spotlight is ok, but Alfred on mac is by far the best.
One little app I found for windows 10 that can replace somewhat Alfred is 'ueli'. Custom searches, emailing, custom shortcuts, fully customizable.

Great little app. And it's completely free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.