Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

singerBen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Hey everyone,
My name's Ben and I'm just your average "singer for fun". lol.
I am gettin the 20" iMac in a few months and was wondering what sort of mic should I get to go with it. I'm actually doing Graphic Design at College hence the mac, but I love singing.
I was thinking about getting the mixer from the apple website and the M-Nova Mic that's on there also.

Does anyone know any sites that has samples of this mic? Or does anyone know if it's good. I REALLY want professional sounding recordings if possible.

There's an example of me singing at my website here: http://breathenomore.org/wp/?page_id=14

Ben

EDIT: I don't suppose anyone can recreate "Your Star" off the new evanescence album for me could they haha :p (it's streaming on the AOL website http://music.aol.com/songs/new_releases_full_cds?defaultTab=1 )

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
singerBen said:
I REALLY want professional sounding recordings if possible.
it's possible if:
1. you spend money on gear
2. you spend money treating your room
3. you're a good engineer

iow, if you want pro results, consider spending money in a pro studio.

if you're okay with doing some work to get decent results, then it's entirely possible to do so in a bedroom. but the more money you spend, the easier it is.

you may get some value from reading the primer.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
I was thinking about getting the mixer from the apple website and the M-Nova Mic that's on there also.

Don't buy pro audio gear from apple.com. And you don't need a mixer.

Check out sweetwater.com , or m-audio.com, alesis.com (?I think), motu, others.

You will need a good firewire audio interface with XLR inputs ($300+), and then a good mic ($anywhere, from hundreds of dollars to thousands), good XLR cables, and mic stand of course. I've never heard of that M-Nova mic. Get a mic from a respected company.

There are microphones for live sound (band singing, for a concert/live), and microphones for RECORDING audio (to record, not for live sound). And among these two groups, there are many different kinds. This is an endless question. I would suggest a vocal condenser mic for your purposes.

Quite a bit of money. For most audio folks the computer is the least expensive piece of gear they own, by far. Good luck!

singerBen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
lol, I was typing it in a rush. It's actually the M-Audio Nova mic, so it's from a respectable company.
I did find a site which recorded using that mic (French horns of all things haha) And it did sound great.

I live in the UK so I'd be buying from over here and to be completely honest, I don't want amazing recordings, just the best I can get for as cheap as possble.
Which I know sounds like, "wel just get a headset then".
But it's incase I want to record Demo's or something like that.

It's not a mixer exactly either, it's like a connection for the XLR thing and also allows guitars to be plugged it. It's about £80 I think...

M-Audio Fast Track

Experience GarageBand like never before with Fast Track. Fast Track gathers all the connectors to record Guitar and Vocals on your Mac.
Price: £79.95

That's what it is... a link is here

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
singerBen said:
I want to record Demo's or something like that.
that's much easier, obviously.

please state:
1. what software you're using
2. any instruments you're recording besides voice
3. how many simultaneous inputs you need
4. your budget

fwiw, i just helped a friend get a small set up to record voiceover demos. room treatment aside, she spent about $450 USD.

singerBen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
to be honest with you, at the moment all I'm interested in is Singing.. There's a few bands who are starting up and stuff at my college and they ask for demos etc (I don't normally sing like aladdin haha)...
Anyways...
1. It'd probably be Garageband...
2. Just my voice =]
3. I don't really know what you mean, but if you mean by just how many inputs I need at any one time (sounds obvious now i think about it) I'd just need one for a Mic
4. I'd prefer to not spend loads, but If I really have to I'd spend about £80 on a mic and a fairly cheapish something that can connect XLR inputs to a mac.

I do not want to spending hundreds on something I'd use every now and again... eg. £350 on a 8 channel mixer or something...

(I do apologise If I don't make sense sometimes, I just end up getting loads of thoughts in my head and write extremely quickly lol)

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
singerBen said:
4. I'd prefer to not spend loads, but If I really have to I'd spend about £80 on a mic and a fairly cheapish something that can connect XLR inputs to a mac.
the bit that connects a mic to a mac would include a mic preamp and an analog/digital converter. the interface boxes you're looking at provide that.

the setup that i spec'ed for my friend would work for you as well. if it helps, it was:
1. an AT 2020 mic
2. a tascam us-122L interface
3. a mic stand
4. an XLR cable
5. sony mdr7502 headphones
6. a popscreen

the tascam comes with Cubase LE, which is nice in case one outgrows GB. the 2020 is a condenser, so it needs phantom power, which the tascam provides. that's really the only $100 USD condenser mic i'd even consider.

all that is more than you want to spend, but i urge you to remember two things:
1. even though your needs are modest, you still must build a complete basic recording studio, and that's more than a few components
2. you get what you pay for

singerBen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Thanks for your help, it is a bit pricey...The Mic costs £175 and the tascam costs £128...
I'm only 16 lol and really cant afford it... I'll try and save up a bit though..

singerBen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
hey me again haha.

Is there a cheap way to connect an XLR cable to a mac lol?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
singerBen said:
hey me again haha.

Is there a cheap way to connect an XLR cable to a mac lol?
yes. a XLR -> 1/8" stereo plug will leave you with your mic connected to your mac.

trogdor!

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
i have the MAUDIO FIREWIRE SOLO interface and love it. I recommend it for a easy to use firewire external interface with XLR and 1/4inch inputs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.