Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterg5000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2021
I am trying to upgrade my Mid 2007 iMac imac7,1 to Big Sur.

I have upgraded the CPU to a Penryn and I currently have @dosdude1 Catalina patch running great.

The issue I am having right now is that I build up the patched USB installer for Big Sur using @Barry K. Nathan micropatcher and try to boot from it. Instead of booting into the installer I get the fun and exciting (/) NO ENTRY symbol on the screen.

I made sure that I followed ALL instructions including patching the USB with micropatcher.sh and install-setvars.sh. I turned on verbose boot mode with setvars.sh. I also made sure I booted into the correct EFI first, wait until the system shuts down and then boot into the Big Sur Installer USB. No luck.

If anyone has some thoughts on what is going on I would appreciate the help. Even if the help is just pointers to help me figure it out.

Thanks!!

KennyW

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
I am trying to upgrade my Mid 2007 iMac imac7,1 to Big Sur.

I have upgraded the CPU to a Penryn and I currently have @dosdude1 Catalina patch running great.

The issue I am having right now is that I build up the patched USB installer for Big Sur using @Barry K. Nathan micropatcher and try to boot from it. Instead of booting into the installer I get the fun and exciting (/) NO ENTRY symbol on the screen.

I made sure that I followed ALL instructions including patching the USB with micropatcher.sh and install-setvars.sh. I turned on verbose boot mode with setvars.sh. I also made sure I booted into the correct EFI first, wait until the system shuts down and then boot into the Big Sur Installer USB. No luck.

If anyone has some thoughts on what is going on I would appreciate the help. Even if the help is just pointers to help me figure it out.

Thanks!!
Could that be related to the absence of APFS booting support in the iMac 2007 ?

But then even if you are successful by patching the APFS driver in your BootROM devised by DosDude1, without a Metal compatible GPU, the experience in the GUI will be lack-luster and poor.

Last edited:

peterg5000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2021
I am currently running Catalina via the DosDude patch and it runs GREAT! I am using this as a general purpose computer and not for gaming or anything like that. So that video WARNS users about NVIDIA chipsets. My iMac7,1 does not have NVIDIA. But it is OLDER so will this APFS bootrom update work? Maybe I can reach out to the person from the video. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.