Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ETID

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
hey I've got a pre SR macbook and want to up the ram. I'm aware my macbook will only support up to about 3.2/3.3 gb of ram but I'm just wondering the best way to achieve this.

1) Buy a 2gb stick and a 1gb stick. This would be cheaper and less wasteful.

or
2) Buy 2X2gb sticks and let the macbook recognise 3.2 of it. The only reason I'm thinking of this is just because in my searches everyone is agreed that ram should be in matched pairs but seems wasteful.

Will this REALLY make a difference to me? I use Logic Pro, Parallels and just general stuff.

ETID

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Thanks. Will probably go for the 3gb option since its about £45 from crucial, whereas 4gb is £55(with the £5 off).

Carnivor

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
I have the late 2007 MB, i just got 4gb for it, upping it from 1gb, and what a difference!!

A definate must!!!

MacDaddy08

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Dont over load your memory in your Macbook. If it only supports 3GB dont put 4GB in it. It is a waste of money and could cause problems. The 2GB plus 1GB stick is a good option. If you really want to upgrade the speed of the Macbook, after you go to 3GB of RAM then upgrade to a 7200 RPM hard drive. It makes a huge difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.