Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AveryWrubleski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2018
Machine: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro 15 inch (Dual Core)

Hi everyone,

I am looking to upgrade the original hard drive to an SSD in order to revive this machine. It works fine, but has become rather slow. I want to make sure this computer can be upgraded simply by replacing it with a Samsung EVO 860 SSD.

Is there anything to look out for compatibility wise? I am hoping it will be as straight forward as my 2012 MBP was.

Hard Drive on Amazon

Thank You,

Avery

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
you are good to go. Evo 8xx/9xx is a great replacement unit, i've installed many in customer machines with good results. Just save any brackets or 'foot nubbins' from the old disk and screw them onto the Evo.
You'll love the upgrade, enjoy your much quieter machine.

AveryWrubleski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2018
you are good to go. Evo 8xx/9xx is a great replacement unit, i've installed many in customer machines with good results. Just save any brackets or 'foot nubbins' from the old disk and screw them onto the Evo.
You'll love the upgrade, enjoy your much quieter machine.
Thank You! Case Closed!

Reactions: barbu

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Some Macs of that era although they have SATA II ports will fall back to SATA I speeds when using a SATA III (6Gbps) SSD, I think. So it can be best to use a SATA II (3Gbps) SSD with these to get the best speeds.

When you have installed the drive check in System Information what speeds it is achieving.

Having said all this even at SATA I, the random read/write performance will mean that the computer feels a lot faster than it did with a HDD.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.