Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Summit_PG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
Hi All. My mid-2010 17'' MBP has has an issue with the magsafe port. It appears that the port has physically worn down and may need replacing. I have recently installed a new battery, new 85W charger (2 years ago), and a 500GB SSD. The computer is running great, but will not charge at all right now.

I have tried to reset the SMC, cleaned the contacts, but the computer will not charge. I did check that the pins not stuck in the magsafe cord and I ensured that it is not just an issue with the light on the charger as the computer is not charging when it still had some battery life left in it.

My gut tells me that, as the computer is getting old, the magsafe connection in the computer has worn out. Has anyone encountered this before? I did look at the ifixit instructions to replace the piece, but I think that is a bit out of my league. I am planning on taking the computer into a repair centre (no Apple repair within a day drive), but I was wondering if anyone knows approximately how much I will be looking at to have the magsafe port replaced in the computer. Any ideas?

Summit_PG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
Managed to find my old original charger. Turns out that my replacement charger failed. Time to buy another...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.