Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJC1991

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2023
Hi ive recently been given a mid 2010 iMac 27'' (i believe)

Ive been trying to install BigSur using open core onto a external ssd as im going to give it my dad to have.

thats hdd had already been wiped and picked up a external ssd for it.

issue im having is after i create the bootable usb installer and click EFI Boot it installs the os and restarts but is just giving me a constant install loop and when i click any other option im given a circle with a line through,

ive been at this a week now with many late nights trying to get this sorted and have watched multiple youtube videos im doing everything it says but still not working.

i have managed to do this exact method on my 2013 imac with no issues.

wondering if someone could shed some light as to what i need to do.

many thanks, adam.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Your external SSD is USB? 2010 iMac is USB 2.0. I recommend you first install a working supported version of Mac OS on the external drive and experience system performance before complicating your install with OCLP. USB 2.0 is slooooooow.

Reactions: OldLogan0101

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hi ive recently been given a mid 2010 iMac 27'' (i believe)

Ive been trying to install BigSur using open core onto a external ssd as im going to give it my dad to have.

thats hdd had already been wiped and picked up a external ssd for it.

issue im having is after i create the bootable usb installer and click EFI Boot it installs the os and restarts but is just giving me a constant install loop and when i click any other option im given a circle with a line through,

ive been at this a week now with many late nights trying to get this sorted and have watched multiple youtube videos im doing everything it says but still not working.

i have managed to do this exact method on my 2013 imac with no issues.

wondering if someone could shed some light as to what i need to do.

many thanks, adam.

And how did you create the USB Installer of Big Sur with OCLP?
I assume you know how to run OCLP on another iMac, but configure manually to boot on iMac 2010, is that correct?

If my assumption is wrong, then let's go back to the beginning: Run OCLP again to patch iMac 2010 EFI to the Big Sur USB installer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.