Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
That would be OpenCore Legacy Patcher.

I don't have any experience with OCLP as I've used the dosdude1 Catalina Patcher but I'm guessing it would be a similar process. I'm sure someone could chip in on the process.
yeah, the guide lines dosdude provided for Mojave and Catalina were failsafe
while the "how to" using open core from GitHub are not that cut and dry.
i did see UTube video the went into detail bit that was on a MacBook pro 2012
they they had to install drivers, but they weren't called drivers.

Last edited:

rusavv

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2021
Love these old white machines! It reminds me of my very first Mac, Late 2006 A1181 - I used it a lot and replaced when 13" Pros are came out.
I've bought mine Mid 2010 in 2017 for $80 just as temporary replacement for a couple of months and used it very rarely. Found it in the cabinet a while ago and decided to upgrade it for some fun. Firstly installed a pair of SSDs to use it as RAID0, and 8 gigs of RAM. Then I accidentally saw dosdude1's thread about CPU upgrade on old Penryn MacBooks and wanted to perform something just as cool. I've bought a Mid 2009 MacBook Pro logicboard with 2.8 ghz CPU and gave them to a guy, who swapped it. Now I've got the fastest A1342 according to Geekbench 5 results %)

Attachments

• IMG_6129.jpeg
    IMG_6129.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 67922056380__650B96AA-0B3E-4CFE-B373-48B223F7DEB8.jpeg
    67922056380__650B96AA-0B3E-4CFE-B373-48B223F7DEB8.jpeg
    628 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5816.jpeg
    IMG_5816.jpeg
    741.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
View attachment 1922833

So recently I picked up a Mid 2010 MacBook! The company I got it from said it was a Late 2009 so free upgrade ;)

View attachment 1922834 View attachment 1922835

It has the standard config of the P8600, 2GB DDR3 (2x1GB), 320M 256MB, 250GB 5400rpm and Snow Leopard. However I upgraded it to El Capitan (will do Catalina once my 8GB 1066MHz sticks arrive soon) and added a 128GB SanDisk SSD. Even with 2GB of RAM, it sure does run fast, maybe not as fast as my 2006 MBP but still very speedy while doing day-to-day tasks. The casing is slightly chipped in 1 or 2 places and a hairline crack on the front-right corner but you can hardly see it when you aren't looking directly at it.

I think one of the reasons why these white MacBook's were so popular was because of their eye-catching design, compared to a standard 2009 Windows laptop they looked unique in their glossy white final, which shockingly in my experience does not get fingerprints on it!

Next I need to get an older White MacBook and iBook G3 Snow to complete the collection!
Oh the memories. I loved that thing. I miss it.

I remember the only thing that made me jealous of people with Pros was the lack of backlit keyboard

rusavv

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2021
Great. But a 3.06 GHz T9900 would be even faster
Sure! But the A1342 cooling system is not ready for such thermal loads - I've had to set fan to 2400 RPM by default. Even 2.8 CPU has almost 20% increase of performance over 2.4, and eventually it's just a little fun project.

Reactions: Amethyst1

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Oh the memories. I loved that thing. I miss it.

I remember the only thing that made me jealous of people with Pros was the lack of backlit keyboard
Unfortunately the beauty of these polycarbonate 13" MacBooks is quite fragile (compared to the late2008 13" Unibody MacBooks) - which, on the other hand, makes them one of a precious and special kind.

InAWhiteRoom

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2021
Hi all - my mid 2010 MacBook has been going from strength to strength, but sadly the most recent Catalina Patcher update seems to have caused it a few problems. It chimes, and the grey apple logo appears with a loading bar underneath, but it just hangs at the end of this load without ever actually booting into my Catalina desktop.

I’ve successfully restored an earlier backup, done before the new update, so I’m wondering if this is the cause. I can’t quite remember what the update was about, but I think it was to do with video card compatibility.

I’m extremely grateful to @dosdude1 for the patcher - I couldn’t load Catalina at all without it on this 12 year old MacBook - but I was hoping someone might be able to help? Has anyone had any similar issues with the new patch update?

Thanks!

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
Hi all - my mid 2010 MacBook has been going from strength to strength, but sadly the most recent Catalina Patcher update seems to have caused it a few problems. It chimes, and the grey apple logo appears with a loading bar underneath, but it just hangs at the end of this load without ever actually booting into my Catalina desktop.

I’ve successfully restored an earlier backup, done before the new update, so I’m wondering if this is the cause. I can’t quite remember what the update was about, but I think it was to do with video card compatibility.

I’m extremely grateful to @dosdude1 for the patcher - I couldn’t load Catalina at all without it on this 12 year old MacBook - but I was hoping someone might be able to help? Has anyone had any similar issues with the new patch update?

Thanks!
I had this problem happen once as well on a previous update. It ended up loading after waiting ~1-3 hours, annoying as hell but it didn't do it ever again.

Reactions: InAWhiteRoom

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
I have to agree about the design. I remember when I bought a late 2009 unibody white MacBook for just $100 five years ago so I could have a working laptop for college. It came without a charger or an internal drive (I already had an AC adapter from my mid-2009 polycarbonate MacBook with failing screen), and I remember when I plugged it in and turned it on, and it booted to the flashing question mark folder icon, I was pleased that it was in good working order, and so I maxed out the RAM to 8 GB and installed a 256 GB SSD...
6702CD67-17F6-442E-8D65-CCC7AC6E5242_1_105_c.jpeg

I was really pleased by this modular interior design that could be accessed by simply unscrewing the bottom cover!

Now that I have quite the collection of Mac laptops from the past and present, this is still part of it, but now I mostly use it for a Windows 7 Boot Camp partition (just for old times' sake).

Reactions: MultiFinder17

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
These are nice laptops but in my opinion if you are going that far back I prefer the 2008 Aluminum MacBook. I bought one of these for my Son years ago, bought a new battery from OWC for it, maxed the ram out to 8 GB, installed an SSD and it worked GREAT for him for years, and is the easiest laptop I've ever used to access...turn the laptop over and literally flip a switch on the bottom and the battery/memory/hard drive is right there to change. Plus it's very modern looking in 2022 still, aluminum and backlit with a great keyboard.

:)

Last edited:

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
These are nice laptops but in my opinion if you are going that far back I prefer the 2008 Aluminum MacBook. I bought one of these for my Son years ago, bought a new battery from OWC for it, maxed the ram out to 8 GB, installed an SSD and it worked GREAT for him for years, and is the easiest laptop I've ever used to access...turn the laptop over and literally flip a switch on the bottom and the battery/memory/hard drive is right there to change. Plus it's very modern looking in 2022 still, aluminum and backlit with a great keyboard.
The Aluminium MacBook certainly has a nicer design, however overall the 2010 Unibody is a much better computer. It can take 16 GB of RAM, while the Aluminium can only handle 8GB. The chipset + graphics are better since the 2010 has the NVIDIA MCP89 with the GeForce 320M, while the 08 has the MCP79 and the 9400M. Not a huge difference, but you can tell when playing games on it.

The internal layout is practically the same, sure the 08 has a latch but as long as you have a 00 Philips driver it's just as easy. Note that only the battery and drive are upgradable through the hatch on the Aluminium, you can only do that + RAM on the original EFI32 White/BlackBooks.

Only the high-end 2.4GHz (P8600, same as the 2010) has the backlit keyboard, the entry tier doesn't have one.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida

:)
I have a soft spot for the late 2008 Unibodies, using a 15” daily in my classroom, but my one sore spot with them is the batteries. A replacement is darned hard to find and expensive when you do given that Apple only used that form factor of battery in a single revision of these machines 14 years ago.

Other than that they’re fantastic :)

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
I have a soft spot for the late 2008 Unibodies, using a 15” daily in my classroom, but my one sore spot with them is the batteries. A replacement is darned hard to find and expensive when you do given that Apple only used that form factor of battery in a single revision of these machines 14 years ago.

Other than that they’re fantastic :)
I believe you can still buy brand new batteries from OWC for this laptop. Yes, they’re a bit pricy but I’ve always had really good luck with Newertech batteries from them.

originaldotexe

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2020
Kentucky
i need a new bottom cover, trackpad and battery for mine. the bottom cover has pretty much peeled completely off and is nasty, not sure what the previous owner did with it but it looks like it slid down a sand dune at some point. and the battery swelled up into the trackpad area, so now the trackpad has a little chip in it and there is no longer a battery. but its probably cheaper to just buy a new one than trying to get those parts for it sadly

Reactions: Abramski

Abramski

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
Well, i also have this marvelous ‘lil thing, it had quite the story to tell me when i got it! Interested? Cool! I got it for €60 on facebook marketplace. It whas a bog standard 2010 model advertised as a 2009, nice upgrade i must admit! It had 4gb ram, 250gb hdd and a surprising weird battery, somehow, it had 89 percent with 720 cycles! It had cracks around the keyboard, hinges and whas so dirty that i thought the laptop was painted! I removed the hdd, installed a 256gb ssd, 12gb of ram, and i found something out, if you install a 4gb pc3 8500, you can use whatever speed you want in the other slot, i had an 8gb pc3 12800 lying around and i slapped it into this macbook and it worked! I installed Mojave on it for 32bits apps, but when connecting to the internet, it whas doing some weird stuff! The account i created, with icloud signed in, it logged me out, it did a bar, a pretty fast one, i thought it whas a critical update or something, but when the machine rebooted, my account whas gone, and 2 other accounts were created, 1 called Administrator, the other Student and than John . . . I wiped it by nuking the ssd and start over, 3 to 4 times, but at the 5th time, it finally said that this laptop whas locked to “Oley valley School District” . . . I live in Belgium, somehow, this laptop made it in my possession! I bought it from the Netherlands, so what did i do? I just called them and asked them if they sold any macbooks, they didn’t, so this is a stolen MacBook, but the kind Techie of the school removed it from their account, so i could finally use this beauty! As you can see, the keyboard is custom black. The original keycaps were worn. But i had those cracks in the plastic casing, remember? It doesn’t have any cracks now! How can this be? A couple of weeks later, i found the exact same model in a trashcan, that battery whas a spicy pillow! The screen whas broken, but the casing whas perfect! No cracks whatsoever! I attach 2 pictures, the USA stolen one is the one that works, the other one is the donor i found in the trash!

Attachments

• IMG_1192.jpeg
    IMG_1192.jpeg
    307.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1193.jpeg
    IMG_1193.jpeg
    405.6 KB · Views: 52

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
I have another similar refurbished unit which I may consider puting on the Marketplace/Collectors section of the forum. I'm in Europe though which would deter many from the U.S and elsewhere overseas.
Europe here… might be interested

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
View attachment 1922833

So recently I picked up a Mid 2010 MacBook! The company I got it from said it was a Late 2009 so free upgrade ;)

View attachment 1922834 View attachment 1922835

It has the standard config of the P8600, 2GB DDR3 (2x1GB), 320M 256MB, 250GB 5400rpm and Snow Leopard. However I upgraded it to El Capitan (will do Catalina once my 8GB 1066MHz sticks arrive soon) and added a 128GB SanDisk SSD. Even with 2GB of RAM, it sure does run fast, maybe not as fast as my 2006 MBP but still very speedy while doing day-to-day tasks. The casing is slightly chipped in 1 or 2 places and a hairline crack on the front-right corner but you can hardly see it when you aren't looking directly at it.

I think one of the reasons why these white MacBook's were so popular was because of their eye-catching design, compared to a standard 2009 Windows laptop they looked unique in their glossy white final, which shockingly in my experience does not get fingerprints on it!

Next I need to get an older White MacBook and iBook G3 Snow to complete the collection!
My all-time favorite remains the early 2015 MBP's that have a 2.5" HD. Great for slamming in an SSD and also RAM upgradeable to 16GB.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
A couple days ago I filmed a fursuit vlog talking about Apple announcing the 2012 unibody 13" MacBook Pro is now obsolete, even editing the video on my unibody 13" Pro on iMovie '11 and shooting it on HDV to add to the late 2000s-early 2010s mood!
The editing process:
A751BC7A-5006-47F1-A088-72DDBCC03082_1_105_c.jpeg

But I did have to cheat a little, as it turns out iMovie '11 running on Mac OS X El Capitan or greater has problems with adding still photos to your video project. So I exported the video from iMovie in its' full 1080p quality and added the photos I wanted to use on my M1 MacBook Air using the current iMovie, then re-exporting that.
Sorry if I sound a little "off" there; I was kind of feeling uneasy because I was worrying a bit if my mom was becoming a furry as well (i.e. when she knocked on my door like Disney's Big Bad Wolf that morning), hoping it wouldn't become like the climax of the "South Park" Chinpokomon episode...

Reactions: TheShortTimer

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
But I did have to cheat a little, as it turns out iMovie '11 running on Mac OS X El Capitan or greater has problems with adding still photos to your video project. So I exported the video from iMovie in its' full 1080p quality and added the photos I wanted to use on my M1 MacBook Air using the current iMovie, then re-exporting that.

Couldn't you just get hold of iMovie 10 and use that instead?

signer-ink-beast

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2024
I actually got one of these as my first ever macbook as a gift from a friend. They were planning on getting rid of it. I told them I would be happy to take it off their hands and put it to good use. I have to say that for a 2010 machine, I am pleasantly surprised by this thing.

It feels surprisingly modern, and the previous owner took good care of it. The battery still held a charge for about an hour, but has seen better days. I was just surprised it wasn't dead. All the hardware is pretty nice. My exposure to the mac ecosystem has been pretty limited: used them here and there during my K12. Only problem is the very flawed rubber bottom. The one on this computer is warped and has a little wear and tear, but cleaned up far better than I was expecting. With the design of the thermals (or lack of them), it is inevitable that it would separate from the metal plate underneath. I have considered getting a replacement bottom cover, but all the ones I can find feature the same design flaw Apple used, so I decided it would be a waste. And if it's rubber, it's only a matter of time before it'll also degrade to goo. That is the other problem. But in the meantime, I'll keep it on there. It's a piece of history. It's the only negative I have about what is otherwise a solid computer.

This is an entry-level machine that has had its ram upgraded to 8 GB. That is actually pretty usable on modern computers, and it can hold up to the demands of modern websites and web browsers. Even operating systems. My daily driver is a Surface Book 2. I have been using Linux as my OS of choice since 2011. That particular machine dual boots Linux Mint and Windows 11. I do 99% of everything in Linux, but Windows has come in handy for those weird, niche things that can only be done in them and not Linux. Before the PC world made the switch to UEFI, I ran Windows in a VM for those things because bootloader wars suck. The UEFI firmware on my SB2 has a configuration lock for the bootloaders that give me the best of both worlds: operating systems can update their bootloaders, but they aren't allowed to alter my configuration, so no more nonsense on that.

Looks like that config lock is not a thing on EFI firmware of this machine's era. Fortunately, I don't need this to run Windows at all. My household has a mix of everything now. I did try XP on it for kicks alongside Snow Leopard though, because I have always wanted to see one of these run The Legend, The King™ run it. There were native drivers for all the hardware for XP. I couldn't not do it. Too bad I didn't read up at all on how Hybrid MBRs work. If I did, it would have had a better chance of actually surviving on the same disk Mac OS and Linux are on. Anyway, after that little bit of satisfaction, complete with drivers, I have 4 operating systems on here: Linux Mint for modern tasks, Mac OS Snow Leopard, El Capitan, and High Sierra. Plus a system rescue cd iso sitting on the dedicated Linux boot partition, since I have Linux root fs sitting on an LVM. Decided to finally try btrfs for fun. I have never bothered before. Always did ext4. This is a largely "for fun" machine. Mint is set up largely the same way it is on my SB2, so this is a backup computer. But I can afford to take risks. I got backups.

But the real fun is exploring OS X more. I still have plenty to learn, but I have managed to learn a whole lot I never had a clue about before. I will admit I don't have much interest in where Apple has been, and is, heading with their architecture change. Nor am I interested in seeing Mac OS become more locked down and iOS-ified, but that's another can of worms and another topic entirely.

PS: I did find a 68k Macintosh, a Performa 467, at a Goodwill being sold for $9.99 USD. Goodwill is pretty new-ish to Alaska compared to the continental US. I grabbed it because how could I not? Apparently it's a rebadged LC III+. Easy to open and work on! Which seemed like sorcery to me, being too young for that era, and missing the PPC-era. I removed the pram battery. It's a wonder it didn't destroy anything after all these years. No idea if it works. Nothing went bang the last time I checked. But this helped whet my curiosity further in addition to using Macs in middle and high school.

Random addendum: macports makes me miss my time with Gentoo and portage. That was the bees-knees. I used that as my main OS for a decade before life made maintaining it become a problem. Plus when I got my SB2 and got around to doing the install process, I couldn't figure out why I wasn't seeing the surface-linux related config options weren't showing up in menuconfig after manually applying patches to the vanilla kernel sources. Plus the stage3 tarballs had busted baselayout. My memory says it was specifically an incomplete /usr merge... thing. Baffling to see when my working installation had no issue. Plus I never had /usr on a separate partition.

Anyway, macports reminded me very much of OG ports. Or at least FreeBSD's ports system, portage and macports' grand-daddy. Not bad, not bad.

I also have important notes for people running modern Linux in 2024, and potentially beyond, on this particular MacBook. But I will have to post about it another time. My blood sugar is dropping and I need to eat. Plus I imagine not everyone wants to read this long-ass post I wrote. Better for me to post another one that gets to the point on that front.

Also, it was funny how long my SB2 went largely unused because I simply couldn't stand using modern Windows as a daily driver on my personal machines. I needed to put Linux, or SOMETHING, else on it before I could really start to use it as my daily driver happily.

Reactions: bobesch

signer-ink-beast

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2024
Edit: Second important note is to install mbpfan ASAP. Helps make cooling actually work properly in Linux. Otherwise this machine gets toasty. Also changed some small typos and grammar in the following text. I also notice that the format of text inside the inline code blocks isn't preserved. This is a problem with that hwdb config file that does the remap. Make sure that singular space at the beginning of the second line exists if you are making one for yourself.

Very important note for people running Linux on this MacBook. The only driver you can use for the GeForce 320M is the nouveau driver. NVidia does not update the drivers for this card anymore. So to do that now on the latest versions of software out today, you're going to have to deliberately downgrade your kernel and your Xorg installation. And you'll gradually run into issues over time. Not so much right now as I write this post, perhaps, but you'll already have problems on Ubuntu LTS and its derivatives.

There's a reason NVidia hardware has such a poor reputation historically in the Linux user community. They have slowly improved things as far as their proprietary drivers go, but it's all fun and games until they arbitrarily drop support. The rep is so poor overall that to this day today, people will suggest you replace your GPU entirely once NVidia drops support for your card from their proprietary drivers. Because depending on the card you have, the situation can be pretty dire. For your sanity, honestly try nouveau. That's what I am doing with the GeForce 320M today, and will continue to do for a long time.

It's better than I expected, having not used nouveau in about 15 years. And when I did, it was with their infamously terrible GeForce 5200 FX. It was so long ago that the ugly of the proprietary GPU drivers (the old one, not the modern one) made Xorg unusable. Nouveau managed to actually make the card itself usable, and eeked out decent 2D performance. Nouveau has come a long way compared to the Bad Old Days™, even for this same card. But that card itself was so bad that I got better performance through pure software rendering (this mean using the vesa drivers in Xorg; Wayland either did not exist, or was in very early infancy) on hardware of the era the card was from: an Athlon64 3000+ and 2 GB of ram. And you know your GPU is pure ass if that can be achieved.

But we're talking about the 320M. TL;DR, this card is part of what is know as the NV 50 family. The nouveau driver has an infamous problem with these GPUs: they randomly hardlock the system. This is very bad, and this makes having access to the Magic SysRq feature mandatory. Why? Because in a situation like that, you can use that to cleanly terminate (and kill) any running processes, sync your data to all your mounted filesystems, cleanly unmount those filesystems, then reboot (or shutdown--your choice). This is much better than forcing your computer off with the power button, because if the Linux kernel is even remotely alive in any way, it responds to the Magic SysRq key combo. By default, this is going to be Alt + Print Screen (aka SysRq. These are actually the same key.). Most keyboards have that key. But MacBooks and Macintosh keyboards do not. You have Alt (Option). You don't have Print Screen or SysRq.

You can plug in a USB keyboard that actually has print screen on it and use that, no problem, to use Magic SysRq. But what if you either don't want to, or you can't? What then? You can remap something to print screen or SysRq. Searching "Magic SysRq Mac Linux" gets you old information from early 2010's that doesn't apply anymore. What you do nowadays to achieve this is... easier? Maybe? In that actually doing that won't require weird tools like the info from 2010 would say.

But let's tackle the easy problem: you need to enable the full gamut of SysRq features. Or at least enable enough features so that REISUB works. It doesn't work by default on most distributions anymore. You need to do this anyway if you want to make sure that works, regardless of the whole keyboard situation. And you must do this before you actually need it (or after you find out you'll need it, like I did).

You need the terminal to check if it's currently enabled with this command: cat /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq

If you get any other number than 1, you need to change it to 1. That enables all SysRq features. Do that with this terminal command as root. Get a root shell via sudo -i because you'll need to do something else with root privileges as well afterwards: echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq

Then double-check it again to make sure you get a 1. That takes care of it being enabled right away without a reboot, but it isn't going to persist. Running your favorite text editor as root (I like vim, but I recommend nano if you have no preference and want a recommendation), edit or create /etc/sysctl.d/10-magic-sysrq.conf. Look for kernel.sysrq and change the line to kernel.sysrq = 1. Save and exit your editor. Now you're set on that front!

But the keyboard. If you have this exact MacBook, you can cheat on this next step and probably use my config verbatim. I put that worthless eject key to good use and remapped that to sysrq. It needs to be in /etc/udev/hwdb.d. The file itself can be called whatever you want, but needs to end in .hwdb. I use /etc/udev/hwdb.d/10-macbook-kb.hwdb. Contents below.

evdev:input:b0003v05ACp0236* # built-in macbook keyboard KEYBOARD_KEY_c00b8=sysrq # remap eject key

Now for the notes. First, the second line must start with exactly 1 space. One. Singular. Space. Otherwise it won't work. Yes, I am serious. But wait, there's more! And this is important. We have to talk about the first line. With this identifier format (the only one I could make heads or tails of), the case of the letters is absolutely crucial. Look very carefully at what looks like a bunch of gibberish after evdev:input:.

If you use this syntax in particular, case is important. The proper syntax is actually mixed case! But most people don't know it, because most people won't see either the bus, vendor, or product ID, each consisting of 4 characters in hexidecimal (important!) contain letters. But if they do, those must be UPPER CASE, otherwise this won't work at all. Don't forget to leave the b, v, and p letters lower case, otherwise this also doesn't work.

Also, don't forget the modalias. What the actual **** is a modalias? It's that asterisk/star at the end of the gibberish. It's simply being used as a wildcard, or a catchall that matches everything. But the documentation calls it that weird, obscure term. I spent too long being puzzled by that and missing that detail. No matter the syntax, it must be there at the very end at minimum. Otherwise it won't work.

If you go past product ID, regardless of whatever notation you choose, it also doesn't work! So don't include anything more after that and make sure it ends with a wildcard.

Finally, on the second line with the singular space, the case still matters. Whatever key scancode you are remapping, the actual scancode must be lower case if it contains any letters. But KEYBOARD_KEY_ before it must be UPPER CASE. And your keycode that you're remapping to needs to be, uh, whatever the **** the kernel itself refers to them as in the source code? Something, something, input.h? I don't remember. But it's all words, not numbers or hexidecimal, unlike scancodes. And only those, and only lower case letters because of course!

I specifically note the stuff that isn't well documented, but really should be documented, here. More important info well-documented here (omg thank you!).

Now, to actually get the remap to happen without rebooting, run the following commands as root:
# systemd-hwdb update # udevadm trigger

Test if it works by switching to a VT with Ctrl + Alt + F1. Log in. Press Alt + Eject + Space. If SysRq prints stuff on the screen, you've successfully remapped the eject key to print screen/sysrq. Congrats! If not, or you don't want to map the eject key to sysrq, refer to the link I mentioned earlier. There are already many tutorials out there besides that one that describe how to find this info so you can put it in your config, so I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Finally, I made sure to be as specific as I could so that it only does this on the built-in keyboard, and doesn't try to remap anything else. Just in case the scancode conflicts with some other keyboard that uses that same scan code for something else, or some other weird thing happens.

Final note: If you want to use this thing as a desktop PC and have a GUI, disable the hardware rendered mouse cursor. I found this tip by chance and it reduces the random lockups substantially, but not entirely. I have only experienced it once since setting it and using the computer pretty often. I still primarily use Xorg at this time. No idea about how this would be done in Wayland. But if you're like me and you're using Xorg, put this in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nouveau.conf:

Section "Device" Identifier "Nvidia Geforce 320m" Driver "nouveau" Option "HWcursor" "False" EndSection

I personally like this better than the alternative, which is to disable nouveau's hardware acceleration entirely. I would rather still be able to use GPU hardware acceleration and see the mouse cursor flicker a little bit here and there.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.