Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iamthemyth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
Hello

I want to buy my dad a cheap Mid 10 or early 11 MacBook Pro for surfing internet purposes only. 15 inch

I found a mid 10 one in great shape but with diamond shaped screen pattern. Does anyone know what’s causing this? It’s operating normally but with this weird stuff on the screen.
I know the 11 ones had graphics problems. Help is appreciated
I’m from Austria btw

Attachments

• DA9AA7E1-AA34-478E-A8EC-F9BD4B190DA9.png
    DA9AA7E1-AA34-478E-A8EC-F9BD4B190DA9.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 298

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
downgrade back to high sierra or patch mojave using dosdude1 patcher as there's no graphics acceleration. Mojo is not officially supported on the 2010s.

If you're unsure on what any of this means, downgrade to high sierra - it'll be easier. Also, dont buy 2011 15 inch.. those have the faulty radeon chip that has a very high rate of failure. Actually, the 2010 has that capacitor issue on that nvidia gpu so it might be a good idea to run that MBP2010 GPU fix app after installing high siera

Iamthemyth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
downgrade back to high sierra or patch mojave using dosdude1 patcher as there's no graphics acceleration. Mojo is not officially supported on the 2010s.

If you're unsure on what any of this means, downgrade to high sierra - it'll be easier. Also, dont buy 2011 15 inch.. those have the faulty radeon chip that has a very high rate of failure. Actually, the 2010 has that capacitor issue on that nvidia gpu so it might be a good idea to run that MBP2010 GPU fix app after installing high siera
Is this what’s causing this problem? Or is it maybe a hardware problem?

Iamthemyth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
most likely your about this mac shows “DIsplay” which means you dont have proper graphics acceleration

this problem occurred before patching it to mojave so that’s not the problem I guess but will be downgrading it back to HS

Is it maybe the hard drive? If it’s the graphics the MacBook would crash and give me kernel panics right?

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
this problem occurred before patching it to mojave so that’s not the problem I guess but will be downgrading it back to HS

Is it maybe the hard drive? If it’s the graphics the MacBook would crash and give me kernel panics right?
yes. the 2010 has that GPU artifacting issue so if it’s suffering from that, it’ll show up on any version of macOS. You can still use that MBP2010 GPU fix app and it should make stuff abit better

Reactions: Plutonius

Iamthemyth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
yes. the 2010 has that GPU artifacting issue so if it’s suffering from that, it’ll show up on any version of macOS. You can still use that MBP2010 GPU fix app and it should make stuff abit better

So would you recommend to buy it? It’s 150 bugs but it’s in great shape.
There is a faulty capacitor on the 2010 but I’ve never heard of an app?

I guess if it’s not the hard drive which I hope it is btw isn’t there a way to use the terminal to disable the dedicated graphics? I really don’t need it.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
So would you recommend to buy it? It’s 150 bugs but it’s in great shape.
There is a faulty capacitor on the 2010 but I’ve never heard of an app?

I guess if it’s not the hard drive which I hope it is btw isn’t there a way to use the terminal to disable the dedicated graphics? I really don’t need it.
i woudn't. The battery could be on its way out too. The app basically stops the GPU from hitting the highest speed which helps it from kernel panicking. A 2012 MBP would be the best bang for the buck in that range i think. It's relatively fast so it'll last longer than the 2010

Iamthemyth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
i woudn't. The battery could be on its way out too. The app basically stops the GPU from hitting the highest speed which helps it from kernel panicking. A 2012 MBP would be the best bang for the buck in that range i think. It's relatively fast so it'll last longer than the 2010
I really appreciate your help!
I just tried to switch the graphics in the settings but the screen pattern is the same on both options. What does that mean?

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
I really appreciate your help!
I just tried to switch the graphics in the settings but the screen pattern is the same on both options. What does that mean?
What do you mean switch? You need to use gfxcardstatus 2.4.4i or something to force the intel once you go back to high Sierra. If not, there’s probably other issues

ps I thought you weren’t going to buy the 2010

Iamthemyth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
What do you mean switch? You need to use gfxcardstatus 2.4.4i or something to force the intel once you go back to high Sierra. If not, there’s probably other issues

ps I thought you weren’t going to buy the 2010
Switching from the external to the onboard graphics doesn’t change anything that’s what I meant. Anyways I’m not going to buy it. I found another one (2011 Modell) with the graphics startup failure so it gets stuck on the boot logo. It’s a 100 bucks. I will get it to run by deactivating the graphics in the terminal right?
Just tryin’ to get them cheap MacBook ?
Greets David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.