Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanyoungtb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2024
i just replaced my gpu in my mid 2011 i mac with the NVIDIA quadro K2100M. it came flashed, now im to the software steps. I turn it on and there is a EFI boot with a card on it . do i need to run this or do i just do the EFI boot for opencore? View attachment 2367052

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
i just replaced my gpu in my mid 2011 i mac with the NVIDIA quadro K2100M. it came flashed, now im to the software steps. I turn it on and there is a EFI boot with a card on it . do i need to run this or do i just do the EFI boot for opencore? View attachment 2367052

You see something on the display? => Good flashed card.
Next step is to run Mac OS High Sierra. Just neglect the EFI boot thing and choose High Sierra volume to continue.

ryanyoungtb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2024
thanks I appreciate the help. I don’t have high sierra on there any more . I also replaced my hard drive and the cpu before this upgrade . I have Sonoma installed from open core right now. I also made a flash drive with Big Sur on it before I installed the gpu. Can I install that . Or do I need high sierra?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
thanks I appreciate the help. I don’t have high sierra on there any more . I also replaced my hard drive and the cpu before this upgrade . I have Sonoma installed from open core right now. I also made a flash drive with Big Sur on it before I installed the gpu. Can I install that . Or do I need high sierra?

As far as I remember: Sonoma doesn't run well with Quadro card. Ventura is also a hit or miss.
I would suggest you create a USB installer of Monterey or Big Sur with OCLP EFI.
Supposing that you can't run OCLP automatically on your iMac 2011, you will have to run OCLP from another Mac to create and overwrite OCLP EFI on the USB installer. I suppose you know how to do that as well.

ryanyoungtb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2024
As far as I remember: Sonoma doesn't run well with Quadro card. Ventura is also a hit or miss.
I would suggest you create a USB installer of Monterey or Big Sur with OCLP EFI.
Supposing that you can't run OCLP automatically on your iMac 2011, you will have to run OCLP from another Mac to create and overwrite OCLP EFI on the USB installer. I suppose you know how to do that as well.
I made a ocpl big sur installer and the EFI on a flash drive before I took the computer apart just in case. Will that work to overwrite the current operating system? witch right now is Sonoma . Thanks again for the help I’m pretty new to all this and enjoy learning about it.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
I made a ocpl big sur installer and the EFI on a flash drive before I took the computer apart just in case. Will that work to overwrite the current operating system? witch right now is Sonoma . Thanks again for the help I’m pretty new to all this and enjoy learning about it.

I guess the OCLP installer you created on your iMac automatically, adhered to the stock GPU.
If that was the case then it might not boot properly with the Quadro card.
You will have use OCLP to generate the OCLP EFI again, manually.
Carefully read through each option (the tick boxe) on the OCLP menu, you will know which to choose and which not to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.