Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MJD305

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
Good Evening,

Earlier today my mid 2011 iMac crashed. Now my system is in a constant boot loop and I can't break it out. My recovery partition is not working so I decided to try and create a boot disc. I tried to find the High Sierra 10.13.6 which was the last OS update available for my system. Epic failure, attempted several times with various programs and the few links I could find to get the High Sierra .dmg file, but with no luck. I've seen an earlier post by Walnawk about downloading the High Sierra 10.13 file, if anyone has a reliable installation file they could send me it would be appreciated. I can't get into the OS to download the file from the App store so I have to build an installation USB with my Windows PC. I could really use some assistance in getting the files needed to hopefully fix the system until I can get a replacement machine.

v/r

MJD305

Last edited:

MJD305

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
Does anyone know where I could possible buy a reliable High Sierra installation USB? I know there are ebay options but then who knows exactly if it's trustworthy.

MJD305

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
What I do when I need reliable access to older OS versions...
DosDude has never let me down
Checkout this link to High Sierra patcher.
Download and run the patcher, you only want access the the download option.
When the download is complete you can use it to create a usb installer.
Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 9.02.42 AM.png

Forget about running any of the patches, they're only needed for an unsupported computer.
All you need is a source for the latest High Sierra OS.

MJD305

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
What I do when I need reliable access to older OS versions...
DosDude has never let me down
Checkout this link to High Sierra patcher.
Download and run the patcher, you only want access the the download option.
When the download is complete you can use it to create a usb installer.
View attachment 1804885
Forget about running any of the patches, they're only needed for an unsupported computer.
All you need is a source for the latest High Sierra OS.
Thank you very much. Every attempt to download a reliable file has failed so far. I will give this a try tonight.

v/r

MJD305

MJD305

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
Well I wanted to use that patcher to get the correct version, but I can't get into the mac os to run any apps. I can't get past the grey screen/power restart to the desktop. What exactly does Dosdude provide that could help this situation?

MJD305

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
Question, I was able to get into my machine and download the High Sierra 10.13. I currently have 10.13.6 on my iMac. If I create a bootable disk with the downloaded file, will it enable me to reinstall my OS in recovery? Or will it be considered too old?

Reactions: Rendell001

Rendell001

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2019
Scotland
Just wondered if you found a solution to this problem? I ask because it seems my iMac 2011 has a similar problem and none of my recovery partitions seem to be working for some unkown reason...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.