Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cpaul21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2020
Mid 2012 12 core 3.06ghz: CPUA heatsink not registering in fan app. BOOSTA on 0? I have already reseated the CPU's and replace the thermal paste twice. Suggestions on how to fix and where to start first without throwing money at the problem that doesn't solve it. Thanks. New to the this.

IMG_0389.PNG

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
And Northbridge delta (between Diode-Heatsink) seems alarming too. should be up to about 15 degrees.
1635269523305.png

Look for "Northbridge" and/or "pushpins" etc. with forum search for help about that.

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
Sorry I am not absolutely sure about how to troubleshoot further. It could be temperature sensor gone bad, misplaced, or sensor connector/cable became loose or not connected. But surely you would have figured that much yourself already.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Mid 2012 12 core 3.06ghz: CPUA heatsink not registering in fan app. BOOSTA on 0? I have already reseated the CPU's and replace the thermal paste twice. Suggestions on how to fix and where to start first without throwing money at the problem that doesn't solve it. Thanks. New to the this.
There are 2 issues:
-Apparently heatsink CPU A is not correctly seated and/or the connector integrated for the sensor and fan Boost A is not seated correctly.
I'd remove heatsink A and double check the connector and make sure the heatsink remains perfectly leveled when installed.

noticed that too but was staring with the cpu first. Thanks
-Thanks to the failsafe mode caused by the failing CPU A sensor and fan , fans intake exhaust and CPU B are running at full speed and may have saved the NorthBridge from cooking.
The NB heatsink is not (really) connected to the NB die , probably by failing rivets.
You could replace the (broken/missing) plastic pushpins by 2 metal/nylon screws M3x16mm ,nuts and washers, as long as the original springs are still around.

Last edited:
Reactions: avro707

Cpaul21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2020
Thank you for all your help. I went through all connectors for the 3rd time and made sure they were secure. Re seated the northbridge, and cores. There seemed to be a connection issue, ever so small. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

Reactions: KeesMacPro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.