Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themacpronovice2022

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2022
Hello, my mid 2012 15" unibpdy macbook pro is over heating and idk why. i just replaced the thermal paste a month ago and i cant seem to get it to cool down. should i go with liquid metal thermal paste? i heard that can do wonders on macs. over wise i was going to mod my macbook pro and get better cooling in there...

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Hello, my mid 2012 15" unibpdy macbook pro is over heating and idk why. i just replaced the thermal paste a month ago and i cant seem to get it to cool down. should i go with liquid metal thermal paste? i heard that can do wonders on macs. over wise i was going to mod my macbook pro and get better cooling in there...
Well, I don’t know specifically with that laptop, but normally overheating is either caused by lack of contact with the cooler, the fan not coming on or obstructions with the vents. Since you’ve taken it apart I’m assuming there is not cat hair clogging the vents, so maybe the fan’s not coming on

I would avoid liquid metal on any laptop. I know people use it but it’s a good way to destroy it.

oratowsky

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2008
when u say "overheating" ... Are you seeing Intel PowerGadget behavior thermal throttling? What symptoms are you experiencing exactly ?

have you cleaned the fans and case for dust ?

I put thermal pads in my 2019 mbp that increase performance as well inspired by this:

(^^^ idk why but people are attacking the OP's amazing post in this thread, what a toxic forum Lmao.)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
i cant seem to get it to cool down. should i go with liquid metal thermal paste?
Did you see any improvement or did things get worse when you re-applied thermal paste? Is it possible that you mis-applied it?

Please provide details of your issues, what's the temp at idle, under load, what's the ambient temps? Are your fans spinning up?

Liquid Metal isn't a cure all for heat related issues, and in laptops can pose a number of risks and depending on the heat pipe material used, its possible to incur galvanic corrosion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.