Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBalkin365

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2022
I purchased a mid-2012 MacBook Pro in working order from a friend recently and decided to try to wipe it and install the latest supported MacOS. It was working when I got it and was loaded with 10.8.5 Mountain Lion. As far as I understand the latest supported version for this machine is Catalina 10.15.x. I didn't want to upgrade what was running since I didn't need any data and wanted it to behave as if new so I went to recovery, deleted the partition and created a new one. I tried creating a bootable USB from my mid 2011 iMac which was running high sierra. I booted to usb drive on the MBP and it began installation but never completed after letting it sit for several days.

I wiped the drive again. Reset pram/nvram, went to disk utility and verified drive ok, repaired ok, tried internet recovery where it downloaded catalina. First time I tried was with wifi. It sat fir several days and thr progress bar moved very slowly but never completed. Second time I tried with ethernet connection and it stopped and hung with 14 minutes remaining or estimating time remaining, no progress. I took the drive out of the computer, put it in a docking station and wiped it again from another computer and tried again after reinstalling in the MBP and still behaves the same way.

Not really sure what else I can try to do as I've scoured the internet best I could to try to find similar instances before asking for help. I did reach out to Apple support and they instructed me to do the things I was already doing.

Please help!

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
I purchased a mid-2012 MacBook Pro in working order from a friend recently and decided to try to wipe it and install the latest supported MacOS. It was working when I got it and was loaded with 10.8.5 Mountain Lion. As far as I understand the latest supported version for this machine is Catalina 10.15.x. I didn't want to upgrade what was running since I didn't need any data and wanted it to behave as if new so I went to recovery, deleted the partition and created a new one. I tried creating a bootable USB from my mid 2011 iMac which was running high sierra. I booted to usb drive on the MBP and it began installation but never completed after letting it sit for several days.

I wiped the drive again. Reset pram/nvram, went to disk utility and verified drive ok, repaired ok, tried internet recovery where it downloaded catalina. First time I tried was with wifi. It sat fir several days and thr progress bar moved very slowly but never completed. Second time I tried with ethernet connection and it stopped and hung with 14 minutes remaining or estimating time remaining, no progress. I took the drive out of the computer, put it in a docking station and wiped it again from another computer and tried again after reinstalling in the MBP and still behaves the same way.

Not really sure what else I can try to do as I've scoured the internet best I could to try to find similar instances before asking for help. I did reach out to Apple support and they instructed me to do the things I was already doing.

Please help!
I’m going to guess, your hard drive SATA cable might be failing , it’s known problem with this model, I’ve own 2 of them for my kids and already replace them years back, get original/high quality sata cable from a reputable source, you might as well replace your HDD with SSD if it’s still original drive, it’s way much faster, you'll be surprised how capable this old 2012 MBP (9,2) running excellent performance with MacOs Ventura (OCLP installer), just make you install supported Catalina first (USB installer preferred), run software update and install latest security patches and the latest firmware (429.0.0.0) will be installed.

2012.png

Last edited:
Reactions: chrfr

JBalkin365

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2022
I’m going to guess, your hard drive SATA cable might be failing , it’s known problem with this model, I’ve own 2 of them and already replace them years back, might as well replace your HDD with SSD if it’s still original drive, it’s way much faster..
I was going to try replacing the hard with a ssd and also upgrade ram to highest capacity while I was in there... where can I find the correct cable to replace this one with? It's a mid-2012 MBP 13"

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
I was going to try replacing the hard with a ssd and also upgrade ram to highest capacity while I was in there... where can I find the correct cable to replace this one with? It's a mid-2012 MBP 13"
I bought mine 6yrs ago, (excellent used) but original apple cable from online store in New York , some people have excellent reviews from ifixit (a little pricey but comes with new bracket), I did some modification with SATA cable , I wrapped both sides with electrical tape and it hasn't failed since then, check photos below, If you plan memory upgrade ,I purchased this one way back from OWC and guaranteed to work, all this upgrade with give 2012 Mid MBP (9,2) and new life, good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_6147.jpg
    IMG_6147.jpg
    570 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6144.jpg
    IMG_6144.jpg
    638.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6146.jpg
    IMG_6146.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Reactions: JBalkin365

JBalkin365

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2022
I bought mine 6yrs ago, (excellent used) but original apple cable from online store in New York , some people have excellent reviews from ifixit (a little pricey but comes with new bracket), I did some modification with SATA cable , I wrapped both sides with electrical tape and it hasn't failed since then, check photos below, If you plan memory upgrade ,I purchased this one way back from OWC and guaranteed to work, all this upgrade with give 2012 Mid MBP (9,2) and new life, good luck.

I got everything ordered and am expecting delivery Thursday. Fingers crossed this gets it back up and running. Thanks!

Reactions: vince22
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.