Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fredfrog

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2016
Sheffield, England
Mid 2012 with anti-glare display running Catalina.

Displays preferences gives me ONLY default for display and scaled. Scaled gives me 1680 x 1050 and lower. However ...

Last night I was setting up a presentation on an expensive fancy-schmancy projector that was plugged in via an hdmi in the (what I think is a) thunderbolt port (no physical hdmi socket on these so you have to use an adaptor - this works well). At one point I had screen-mirroring on and was astonished to find my macbook was displaying a higher resolution than it usuall does standing alone. I didn't have time to investigate properly as the presentation had to go ahead but clearly it was taking its resolution from the hdmi-connected device AND IT WAS MORE THAN I USUALLY GET. Fonts were smaller, more on screen etc. What gives here, if the native display is 1680 x 1050 how can this thing display at greater than that ? And how can I get that resolution in normal use ? Was it some kind of scaling ?

I don't have access to that projector to experiment for another month (its a monthly f2f event).

Aside: Mid 2012 rocks, who needs apple silicon!!!

Baffled

andy

Reactions: MBAir2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.