Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexzil0205

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2018
Hello Macrumors family,

I am a proud owner of a 15" MacBook owner, bought it March 2015 from Best Buy (LOL) and am currently using the device right now. I love it! Over the years I have played Sims 4 on it a lot, and have used it for school. The most taxing workload I have ever done is mostly playing Sims 4 (but like hours and hours), I do not edit or anything else. I do enjoy using it for browsing the web and enjoying shows or movies. I must admit, I have fallen asleep with it on my bed and knocked it off more times than I can count. Thankfully, the build quality has kept my baby functioning perfectly. The bottom right outer shell does have some denting... SOS, how could I commit such an act. Anyways, it is time for an upgrade and I need help, please.

I am most likely going to be playing Sims 4 on it, or I would like the ability. I am back in school so that and maybe FT calls, nothing major. Maybe I would get into photography but... I want to keep this next laptop for hopefully another 7 years or more. No issues with this angel baby cake. I do realize they may update the 14", 16".... should I be patient... should I get an upgraded Air M2 (I worry of no fan and if I play Sims, I do not want it overheating. Also I was thinking of 10 core GPU upgrade with 512GB Storage)? I do not mind configuring and special ordering because it is an investment. HELP, in the name of love! I feel like going down to a 14" is not a bad idea but also I do like big things... and big screens. If I end up getting a 14 and regret but who knows maybe another owner downsized and its not a big difference?!

Also I forget I can go in store but I like this community, please give feedback and go in as depth as possible. I would really appreciate it.

Gripes for current Mac: Wish I ordered one with larger storage. I currently pay monthly for more cloud storage.

Specs: 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 // 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 // Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
251 GB Flash Storage

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
If you planned to use your Mac as long as possible then use it (but take an eye on battery health = use the power cord at the first opportunity)
M1, as well as M2 quite monstrous in performance, thinking Sims 4 shouldn't cause any bottleneck
(but check if it's compatible, and overall performance)

Last edited:

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Preferences for the size of the display and overall dimensions and weight of the laptop are highly subjective, so it's a good idea to go to the Apple Store and try them out in person.

That said, the M2 MacBook Air will be fine for your needs and should last you a long time, unless you get into heavier 3D gaming. Definitely get 512GB or 1TB of storage, since you can't upgrade it later.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You do know that BestBuy currently has the base model MacBook Pro 14" ON SALE for $1,599, right...?
$400 off regular price.

That's what I'd be looking at...

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
If you prefer the larger display I think you will miss it dropping down to the 13/14" machines. Either look into the 16" or wait for the 15" Air. In terms of drawbacks for these options, the 16" Pro is overkill for what you described, and very expensive to go with it. The 15" Air is probably a good 6-8 months out from release.

Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.