Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
So I noticed my Dad's mid-2015 rMBP wobbling whilst on a flat surface last week. Turns out the battery is swollen and seems like this is not an isolated issue. AppleCare has expired - the local Apple authorized service provider said the repair may be chargeable, and a call with Apple Support was most unhelpful, as they basically raised their hands and asked me to resolve the issue with the local service provider. Some thoughts:

1. A swollen battery is a serious issue, and one that is potentially hazardous - the battery could have exploded?
2. The bottom case is now deformed as a result of the swollen battery
3. A swollen battery is different from a battery requiring service or replacement due to normal wear and tear as a result of charge cycles (would completely understand having to pay for the latter, but a swollen battery is an inherent defect, which needs to be covered regardless of warranty status)

In conclusion, I think its unfair to charge customers for repairs and/or replacements due to swollen batteries.

What is the best way to escalate this issue to Apple?

Thoughts?

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
In conclusion, I think its unfair to charge customers for repairs and/or replacements due to swollen batteries.

Having a swollen battery doesn't mean Apple's at fault. It could even be your fault... or nobody's fault in particular. Swollen lithium ion batteries happen all the time. Batteries just don't age well. None of them do.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Apple approved a one-time exception, so won't be paying for any parts (i.e., new battery and lower case) - may have to pay a nominal repair charge, but that's okay. Thank you all for your comments.

Reactions: smirking

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Apple approved a one-time exception, so won't be paying for any parts (i.e., new battery and lower case) - may have to pay a nominal repair charge, but that's okay. Thank you all for your comments.

That's awesome! Congrats!
[doublepost=1542062859][/doublepost]
OP:

You did the right thing by getting it replaced, even if there will be a nominal charge...

Yeah, the last thing you want happening is this:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.