Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterhaunted604

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2006
Ok so here I am with my Reson 3.0.5 and a MIDI capable keyboard but nothing to connect it with. Is there a special MIDI cable I should be getting for my intel Imac or are they all pretty much the same?

Also is there some brands/types that are better than others, I am starting from scratch here, asume that I know nothing...because you will be correct!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
which keyboard is it?

modern controllers tend to have USB interfaces. if you've got an older keyboard, with MIDI-only, you'll need a midi converter box (it'll convert it to USB). lots to choose from.

peterhaunted604

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2006
ya it is an older umm uhhh...Casio..ya well I just needed it as a MIDI controller so when a friend offered to give it to me I said ok. I guess I will need a MIDI converter box as well as a cable. So I take it that there is no deplorably bad choices when it comes to these two items?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i haven't used a midi box in ages (nowadays for me it's either softsynth or record keys in the audio realm), so i can't offer any suggestions on what to get.

i've never had a midi cable fail on me -- i still use the ones i got in the mid-80's. then again, maybe they were made better then.... :)

as a general rule, i avoid monster (overpriced and crappy) and hosa (just plain ol' crappy). ymmv.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
A MIDI cable carries low bitrate digital data, so you don;t need premium cables at all. Your local music shop or RadioCircuitSourceShack should carry them.

You do need a MIDI interface to bring MIDI information in and out of your Mac, basic USB ones start at about $40. USB MIDI interfaces with microphone/line inputs as well start at around $100 Check M-Audio and Edirol - these are the main brands that are available

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I use MidiMan 2x2. Great little machine. Very low latency, and the pulsating light goes in time with my MBP when it's in standby...

ercw

macrumors regular
May 4, 2006
Killyp said:
I use MidiMan 2x2. Great little machine. Very low latency, and the pulsating light goes in time with my MBP when it's in standby...

The latency is usually not caused by your midi interface but more by your audio engine. If you use your mac built-in audio , chances are you will get latency with most midi interfaces. You need an external better audio interface to elliminate the problem. (or PCI card if you want to open your box)

here are some examples:
http://www.portlandmusiccompany.com/soundcards.html

DougTheImpaler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2006
Central Illinois
I'd also like to recommend the Yamaha UX-16. They just released a driver update that made this already-decent MIDI box a bit better, like offering an "all note off" button in the driver in case an audio app crashes. Good way to reset MIDI. THen again, I"d think any MIDI controller could do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.