Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is superior? Post a comment about your choice - Samsung Galaxy S III or iPhone5

• Samsung Galaxy S III

Votes: 22 30.6%
  • iPhone 5

Votes: 50 69.4%

• Total voters

ObsidianBlade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Which of the two does everyone think are superior and why? For comparative purposes we'll talk about the North American SGS3 which has the dual core.

The only hardware advantages I see over the iPhone are

Screen size (really an opinion)
2GB of RAM vs. 1GB RAM.

I currently have the S3 and enjoy it a good deal, but I'm seriously debating whether or not to get the 5. I've owned iPhones since the 3GS and even had the 4S for a while (which I had traded for the S3 lol) But now it seems that the 5 might be the same or better now (minus screen and RAM)

Opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:

ObsidianBlade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
If you are having double thoughts, you're most likely not happy with your S3 ;)

So get a 5

lol it might just be me being my technologically impulsive self. I wasn't certain about getting the S3 either. I think I'd be happy either way, but I'd rather feel confident that I'm getting a better phone, and find out why it's the better phone, which is why I'm asking.

The reason I got the 4S was because it was better/faster than the 4. I got the S3 because it had better hardware than the 4S. I wanna do the same thing with the iPhone 5.

----------

The more ram the faster your battery depletes.

I did not know that. I thought that was only true if the RAM was actively in use? I usually have a gig or so free most of the time.I know that when I had 512MB on the 4S I ran out constantly. Maybe 1GB is the perfect balance?

EDIT: Another thing I forgot to add was that I think that the S3 has better battery life. The 5 seems to be about the same as the 4S which kinda sucks IMHO.

ObsidianBlade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Better hardware specs dont always translate to better user experience.

I suppose this is true. I remember when I had my iPhone 4 there were a good number of Android phones with raw numbers that did better than the 4, but in tests they'd still fall to teh mighty iPhone. But nowadays I don't know if that's as true.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
lol it might just be me being my technologically impulsive self. I wasn't certain about getting the S3 either. I think I'd be happy either way, but I'd rather feel confident that I'm getting a better phone, and find out why it's the better phone, which is why I'm asking.

The reason I got the 4S was because it was better/faster than the 4. I got the S3 because it had better hardware than the 4S. I wanna do the same thing with the iPhone 5.

----------

I did not know that. I thought that was only true if the RAM was actively in use? I usually have a gig or so free most of the time.I know that when I had 512MB on the 4S I ran out constantly. Maybe 1GB is the perfect balance?

EDIT: Another thing I forgot to add was that I think that the S3 has better battery life. The 5 seems to be about the same as the 4S which kinda sucks IMHO.

They actually said that the battery life exceeds that of the 4S considerably. The 4S get's 6 hours of 3G battery life, while the iPhone 5 get's 8 hours of battery life over LTE, which uses considerably more power than 3G, so that in an of itself is a good way to base it off of. The 4S is said to get 200 hours standby time, while the 5 is said to get 225 hours. That's another rather large increase. Not to mention that all the hands-on videos/impressions that I read reported the iPhone 5 being significantly faster than the iPhone 4S. Overall, I don't think battery life will be an issue with the iPhone 5.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
I suppose this is true. I remember when I had my iPhone 4 there were a good number of Android phones with raw numbers that did better than the 4, but in tests they'd still fall to teh mighty iPhone. But nowadays I don't know if that's as true.

Android has definitely come a long way. Jellybean is the first Android version that I will consider using. The smoothness of UI is greatly improved with their Project Butter... It all boils down to your software preference as the hardware is really competitive. iPhone 5 is extremely sleek looking and it looks like a great accessory. SGS3 looks more utilitarian but gets the job done as well.

One complaint I notice for SGS3 is battery life so might want to look into that.

Pick Android or iOS :)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

You suppose huh?
Battery life is great on my 4S.
I only need to charge it every other day and runs nice and smooth. The i5 will have slightly better battery and offcourse will run faster and smoother.
Your choice but it seems like you already made it and now trying to justify it to yourself.

ObsidianBlade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
They actually said that the battery life exceeds that of the 4S considerably. The 4S get's 6 hours of 3G battery life, while the iPhone 5 get's 8 hours of battery life over LTE, which uses considerably more power than 3G, so that in an of itself is a good way to base it off of. The 4S is said to get 200 hours standby time, while the 5 is said to get 225 hours. That's another rather large increase. Not to mention that all the hands-on videos/impressions that I read reported the iPhone 5 being significantly faster than the iPhone 4S. Overall, I don't think battery life will be an issue with the iPhone 5.

Alright then, my worries about the iPhone 5's battery life are gone. Thank you.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Android doesn't have good ram management and that is why it lags even on the S3. Phones don't need 2gb of ram. Many computers with more ram intensive programs run perfectly with two gigs, so why does a phone need it? You don't multitasking nearly as much with a phone as you do with a computer. The reason Samsung put it in was a gimmick. People will say look it has more ram so it must be better. Remember having more ram does not make it faster but allows you to have more programs open at a time which android is horrible at managing. iOS is much smoother. iPhone 4S has 512gb of ram and it is much more smooth and stable then the galaxies 2gb. It depends on software not hardware.

ObsidianBlade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Android has definitely come a long way. Jellybean is the first Android version that I will consider using. The smoothness of UI is greatly improved with their Project Butter... It all boils down to your software preference as the hardware is really competitive. iPhone 5 is extremely sleek looking and it looks like a great accessory. SGS3 looks more utilitarian but gets the job done as well.

One complaint I notice for SGS3 is battery life so might want to look into that.

Pick Android or iOS :)

Jelly Bean is quite smooth indeed. It's great on this phone. I definitely think the iPhone is sexier.

hawk1410

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Are you liking Android? If yes then keep the S3, I am in the same position as you except that I have a Htc One X, i think i am gonna stick with it cause i really liked android.

ObsidianBlade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
You suppose huh?
Battery life is great on my 4S.
I only need to charge it every other day and runs nice and smooth. The i5 will have slightly better battery and offcourse will run faster and smoother.
Your choice but it seems like you already made it and now trying to justify it to yourself.

I had to charge it every day. The choice I've sorta already made the iPhone 5, which is what I'm trying to justify. I just sold my iPad for the thing so I want to make myself sure that I made the right decision (I didn't really use the iPad for those who think it was a terrible decision because of that)

----------

Are you liking Android? If yes then keep the S3, I am in the same position as you except that I have a Htc One X, i think i am gonna stick with it cause i really liked android.

That's part of the difficulty for me. I enjoy both systems. Stock Android > stock iOS, and then when it comes to custom ROMs vs jailbroken iOS, I'm stuck. Also, the One X is pretty boss.

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010
When it comes to custom ROMs vs jailbroken iOS, I'm stuck.

The Android custom ROM community is far more active than the iOS jailbreak community.

Plus the Android community can usually do more, since the source code for the OS and kernel is released for each device.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
The Android custom ROM community is far more active than the iOS jailbreak community.

Plus the Android community can usually do more, since the source code for the OS and kernel is released for each device.

Yeah. Jail broken is very basic compared to rooting.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
The more ram the faster your battery depletes.

Explain, don't just assume that to be true. Explain the technical reason, or else you're just spewing things to make the iPhone seem superior, which is not really an area it needs help in.

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
iPhone 5 has superior speed, not a doubt in my mind. The new A6 chip is going to blow the competition away.

As for everything else, I don't have an opinion yet until I see and use the device.

kilj0y

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2012
Coming from someone who has owned both, I prefer iOS to Android. I have been jailbroken and rooted and all that jazz but now I am giving up my Nexus for an I5. For me I just like the experience that iOS offers and the ecosystem of all my things (apple tv, mac, ipad).

If you really can not decide, buy the I5 use it for 2 weeks if you like it better keep it, if not return it.

Problem solved without having to revert to a bunch of strangers saying why they like something vs the other.

ObsidianBlade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011

Active yes, but scattered? Also true. many ROMs for many different phones.

Also, I don't know how true it is but I've heard that there's more source code and information for iOS than Android.

----------

Yeah. Jail broken is very basic compared to rooting.

Hm?

----------

Explain, don't just assume that to be true. Explain the technical reason, or else you're just spewing things to make the iPhone seem superior, which is not really an area it needs help in.

This.

----------

Jail broken iPhone vs Rooted android

I like jail broken iPhone more since there is a big support behind it. And cydia is basically the AppStore but full of amazing tweaks.

With android there's different manufacturers, different versions of the same phone and so the community is split

http://m.lifehacker.com/5916593/for...-phone-for-hacking-tweaking-and-customization

I do find it easier to find jailbroken tweaks and such compared to rooted ones. +1 to iPhone I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.