Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orionquest

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Mojave has been one of Apple's best release's for me. Also able to run 32 bit apps which has made my workflow great.

But I have some new requirements on my radar and the software doesn't run on Mojave, so I might have to say good bye. I'll be testing out whatever new apps will replace current one to see if I can adapt my work.

My target OS would be Monterey. I have it on a test partition so I will go play with it so figure out some stuff.
Curious to other users who have made this transition how well did it work for you?

Reactions: MBAir2010

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
What Mac are you using?

On a lot of my Macs I stayed on High Sierra due to it being stable and having 32-bit support. A few days ago, a game that my daughter plays on her Mac (Late 2013 iMac) is no longer support on High Sierra (WoW), so I did the Mojave update. i haven't used it much, but my daughter said it is fine.

I might end up updating more Macs to Mojave now.

orionquest

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
What does it matter what Mac I have? I need to use more up to date software which won't run on Mojave. So upgrading my OS is the issue not my hardware.

Not sure how HS is realvant to my post. But for the record it was a bad release in my experience you will be better off using Mojave and still retain the 32 bit support as it was the last release to do so.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
What does it matter what Mac I have?
This is a very typical question to ask in general, but also since you are saying that you want to use Monterey. Some OS versions perform differently on different HW.

For example, you said that you had a bad experience with High Sierra on your HW, but on my Macs, High Sierra has been very stable.

Another example is with Fusion Drives and HDDs, if you are using them as your boot drive, this is something that could be a problem on certain OS versions.

Letting people know your HW and specs could help with any advice they might give.

Not sure how HS is realvant to my post.
Just sharing my experience since it is similar to your own, having to upgrade to a new OS due to SW no longer being compatible. The difference being that I am going to Mojave, and you will be leaving it.

But for the record it was a bad release in my experience you will be better off using Mojave and still retain the 32 bit support as it was the last release to do so.
High Sierra has been great for me on multiple Macs. I tend not to update to a new OS if my experience is good, unless I have to due to SW incompatibilities or if there is a feature added to a newer OS that I want or need.

Reactions: madrich

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

If you HAVE TO upgrade, I have a suggestion for you.

Get an external SSD.
Use a cloning app (SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner) to "clone" your current copy of Mojave to the external SSD and make it bootable.

Now... if you want to "go back" now and then (for 32 bit apps or whatever), it's easy to do (just boot holding down the option key to invoke the startup manager).

orionquest

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
OP:

If you HAVE TO upgrade, I have a suggestion for you.

Get an external SSD.
Use a cloning app (SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner) to "clone" your current copy of Mojave to the external SSD and make it bootable.

Now... if you want to "go back" now and then (for 32 bit apps or whatever), it's easy to do (just boot holding down the option key to invoke the startup manager).
Thanks for the tip.

From what I see a lot of other users doing is running a virtual copy of Mojave within whatever MacOS they are using. I may go this route as well for 1 or 2 apps I am worried about finding replacements or just want to keep using. No need to reboot etc.

vassilev

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2019
Sofia
Thanks for the tip.

From what I see a lot of other users doing is running a virtual copy of Mojave within whatever MacOS they are using. I may go this route as well for 1 or 2 apps I am worried about finding replacements or just want to keep using. No need to reboot etc.

You can do that, but the performance will be significantly worse compared to running the OS natively.
My experience with macOS 11, 12 and 13, with a mid-2015 MB Pro 15" iGPU, is that they are relatively stable, but slow in terms of animations. The entire UI is laggy and sometimes it's very bad. This is the main thing that brought me back to Mojave, which I love. Ventura (not sure about Monterey and Big Sur) also allows you to manually remove local copies of iCloud-backed-up files, so iCloud suddenly gets a lot more convenient and usable.

I personally found Ventura to be a bit faster than Monterey, about on par with Big Sur.

Reactions: orionquest

orionquest

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
You can do that, but the performance will be significantly worse compared to running the OS natively.
My experience with macOS 11, 12 and 13, with a mid-2015 MB Pro 15" iGPU, is that they are relatively stable, but slow in terms of animations. The entire UI is laggy and sometimes it's very bad. This is the main thing that brought me back to Mojave, which I love. Ventura (not sure about Monterey and Big Sur) also allows you to manually remove local copies of iCloud-backed-up files, so iCloud suddenly gets a lot more convenient and usable.

I personally found Ventura to be a bit faster than Monterey, about on par with Big Sur.
I'll have to try and see. It's just a stop gap, hopefully I can find newer alternatives. But but if things do work well maybe I can still run these apps. We'll see, this is a trial and error type situation. I'm on a desktop computer with an i7 with lots of RAM, which seems pretty good with virtual machines.

Reactions: vassilev

orionquest

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Update:

So It took me much longer to get onto this transition to Monterey but I finally did it. Was just too busy with other stuff, not that it took me this long to install and update.

Now I am fully on Monterrey and no more Mojave. Found updates to the software I use and it fits my workflow. Some stuff hasn't been resolved 100% but the main parts are working.

Not completely happy with Monterry UI changes. Hopefully this will get better with Ventura and later

Here's what I like. Shares mount correctly! Mail is much more secure, my spam level has dropped significantly (read up on mail protection in Monterey) The overall system font takes a bit of time to get use to, I think it's a decent enough change. Some actions feel faster, others don't. I think it takes some time for the security measures to settle down.
Stability seems good, no crashes or apps hung up or crashing.

Overall I think it was the right time to do this. Mojave was great but it was time to move on.

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
Mojave & Snow Leopard have been two of my favorite operating systems. But yesterday I made the move to Monterey and left Office 2011 (finally) for Office 2021. I'm still learning my way around but my installs went very smoothly so yay! I'll miss my fellow Mojave holdouts but wish everyone the best!

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
all in all Mac OSx still works great!
Mojave performs better than Catalina and Monterey on my macbook pro 2012 im learning
but Ventura, a Monterey boost, works great!
i might ditch High Sierra for snow leopard and retire the MacBook air 2010 for internet-ing and use for design only
which i am typing on now!

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens

That really depends on what you're doing. I am running legacy software in Sierra and Mountain Lion virtual machines with Parallels under Monterey of my 2018 Intel Mini. Performance is very good - much better than it was on my old Macs that ran these operating systems natively (2012 Mini and 2013 MacBook Air).

Now, if I was running Mojave in a VM then I don't doubt that would be slower than running it natively on the same Mac. But my software is too old to run on Mojave, so that isn't an option for me anyway.

Reactions: MBAir2010

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
Shares mount correctly! Mail is much more secure, my spam level has dropped significantly (read up on mail protection in Monterey)
Thank Yahvo for this change. Never in all my years using Macs (I go back to late 80's), have I seen as much email spam as I have this past 6 months on Mojave. Now that Monterey is installed the spam has almost all but disappeared. That's a relief and huge step towards sanity.

To those of you who can go up to Ventura, I envy you. My 2016 MBP stops at Monterey but I'm thrilled it could make it this far.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Thank Yahvo for this change. Never in all my years using Macs (I go back to late 80's), have I seen as much email spam as I have this past 6 months on Mojave. Now that Monterey is installed the spam has almost all but disappeared. That's a relief and huge step towards sanity.

To those of you who can go up to Ventura, I envy you. My 2016 MBP stops at Monterey but I'm thrilled it could make it this far.
I do reckon that there OCLP can Ventura yer' 2016, there parder'
yeee-haw!

• Wow
Reactions: shadow puppet

orionquest

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Just found a handy feature I couldn't deal with in Mojave. Monterey Preview app can open these Webp image formats and allows you to save them as jpegs. In Mojave I had to use a 3rd party app to convert them. 👍

• Love
Reactions: foliovision
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.